Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bad mpg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad mpg?

Hey guys I was just wondering if barely getting 21 mpg in a 50/50 highway/city is bad for our cb's. I drive an auto f22a6. Any input would be great.

My 91 is an Ex, automatic, 4 door with 225k. I get 28-29mpg if i baby it on a long trip to like St Louis. But even driving it hard i manage 22-23mpg. I havent got my 93 4 door 5 speed on the road yet. But im hoping to see low 30s. There is a member on here with like 340k geting 37mpg.

If it were me id do a good basic tune up.

Clean the ERG valve and passages in the intake manifold.
    New plugs, wires, dizzy cap & rotor.
    New O2 sensor.
    New fuel and air filter.
    New PCV valve.
    Change your oil and oil filter every 3000 miles.
    Make sure your tires are properly inflated.
    Make sure your brakes are working right and not draging.
    And ive heard a good alignment can help too.
    Dont put a big ricer wing on the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by SWMO
      ^
      to save gas LOL, for the tune up
      Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
      Originally posted by deevergote
      den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

I have a 93 sedan and I use to get 26-29 mpg but I recently did and oil change and put fuel ingector cleaner in now I get low 30s

Comment

Originally posted by SWMO View Post
          My 91 is an Ex, automatic, 4 door with 225k. I get 28-29mpg if i baby it on a long trip to like St Louis. But even driving it hard i manage 22-23mpg. I havent got my 93 4 door 5 speed on the road yet. But im hoping to see low 30s. There is a member on here with like 340k geting 37mpg.

If it were me id do a good basic tune up.

Clean the ERG valve and passages in the intake manifold.
          New plugs, wires, dizzy cap & rotor.
          New O2 sensor.
          New fuel and air filter.
          New PCV valve.
          Change your oil and oil filter every 3000 miles.
          Make sure your tires are properly inflated.
          Make sure your brakes are working right and not draging.
          And ive heard a good alignment can help too.
          All of this is true but from what I have read and heard the wing will help. But I would just pick up a stock one from a junk yrd somewhere always better then one of the 5 feet ones lol

Comment

Originally posted by 92cb7sk8er View Post
            All of this is true but from what I have read and heard the wing will help. But I would just pick up a stock one from a junk yrd somewhere always better then one of the 5 feet ones lol
            so you dont wont your car all nice like this one?

Last edited by Accord problems; 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM.
            this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
            How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
            Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

I'll probably do everything that SWMO said.

But LOL @ the ricer wing. I would never plan on that. I like my SE style one, and I only would swap it out for a good looking flush mount.

Oh and can tires affect mpg a lot? A couple months back my dad bought a set of rims and tires from a garage sale. The tires were directional tires and I'm guessing that it's gripping the road more.

Comment

Originally posted by vernon_cb7 View Post
                I'll probably do everything that SWMO said.

But LOL @ the ricer wing. I would never plan on that. I like my SE style one, and I only would swap it out for a good looking flush mount.

Oh and can tires affect mpg a lot? A couple months back my dad bought a set of rims and tires from a garage sale. The tires were directional tires and I'm guessing that it's gripping the road more.
                I hope it works well for you and good luck!

When i was 16 i had a ricer wing on my 3rd Gen and it would squat the rear end past 85-90mph and that was about as fast as it could go. If i took it off i could go 100-105mph. The wing i had was angled down in the front pretty good tho. But anyways, thats my reasoning behind the large spoilers. My info could be misleading as well. But atleast you wont look like an idiot taking my advice on them!

Comment

I didnt see you asked about tires at first.

Goodyear claims that their "Fuelmax" tires give you better mpg. Im sure some others make them as well. Thats all i know about that. You might research it. I wouldnt say you would gain any mpg that would make it worth the price. But a bad set vs. even a good used set im sure you would see a small diffrence.

Ive heard that nitrogen filled tires help with mpg and the winter/summer pressure fluctuation. But i dont know if its true or not. Thats just what ive heard.

Comment

Besides looking less attractive than Nicole Richie, a rice spoiler will reduce aero and increase drag - this reduces your mileage.

In addition to pressures and alignments, the tread itself does make a difference. Tyres with more grip (usually softer) are a result of increased friction, more friction will reduce your mileage (low air pressure also increases friction). I'm not sure exactly how much it affects you, but you'll definitely notice when you're going from a 195/60r15 all-round tyre to a 205/50r16 sport tyre.

Oh excuse the 'tyre'. Australia
                    Last edited by Stormtrooper; 06-26-2012, 11:40 PM.

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Stormtrooper View Post
                      Besides looking less attractive than Nicole Richie, a rice spoiler will reduce aero and increase drag - this reduces your mileage.

In addition to pressures and alignments, the tread itself does make a difference. Tyres with more grip (usually softer) are a result of increased friction, more friction will reduce your mileage (low air pressure also increases friction). I'm not sure exactly how much it affects you, but you'll definitely notice when you're going from a 195/60r15 all-round tyre to a 205/50r16 sport tyre.

Oh excuse the 'tyre'. Australia
                      I learned something. "Tires with more grip (usually softer) are a result of increased friction, more friction will reduce your mileage (low air pressure also increases friction)."

Comment

Originally posted by SWMO View Post
                        I learned something. "Tires with more grip (usually softer) are a result of increased friction, more friction will reduce your mileage (low air pressure also increases friction)."
                        If you ever do some hard cornering in a car with low tyre pressure, you'll notice that it squeals like a pig. That's why.

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

Everything you will ever need regarding the improvement of fuel efficiency:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=186208

Enjoy.
                          Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
                          2005 Acura TSX 6MT
                          2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Originally posted by domo32 View Post
                            I have a 93 sedan and I use to get 26-29 mpg but I recently did and oil change and put fuel ingector cleaner in now I get low 30s
                            where do you pour the fuel injector cleaner ?!

Comment

Originally posted by EsperHamid View Post
                              where do you pour the fuel injector cleaner ?!
                              gas tank
                              visit vgruk

Comment

Working...
                              X