CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Appearance > Lighting

Old 03-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
hiptech
CB7tuner Member

hiptech seems to have made some friends! hiptech seems to have made some friends!
OEM dash bulb question

I've recently noticed the +12V lighter illumination ring wasn't working with the headlights so I took things apart and discovered the bulb was out. To my surprise (and the Honda parts CSR) these were actually in stock.

But after getting them home I discovered the new bulbs were missing the blue color "condom" sleeve of the original. So I called back to the dealer and found out the part numbers have changed (big surprise). Apparently these clear bulbs are all that is available.

Is it possible to remove the colored sleeve from the old and install it on the new?

I'm thinking not since this has been fused on by heat and age and even if it was designed to come off at one time there is little chance now.

Better question has anyone a DIY fix for this like some specialized plastic paint dip or something?

My Collection:
93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)
hiptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
cp[mike]
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful
they come off pretty easily, i found keeping it wet with water helps. Dont just try to pull it straight off, make sure you work the sides loose, until you can "spin" it around freely on the bulb (similar to breaking a rubber hose loose from a nipple). Then it will come off.

The alternative is you can get some of that "Metalcast" or any of the colored chrome spraypaints from the auto parts store. Ends up they are actually just a transparent spray. They have blue, and the red stuff works nicely for lenses too.

Last edited by cp[mike]; 03-26-2017 at 08:46 PM.
cp[mike] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
hiptech
CB7tuner Member

hiptech seems to have made some friends! hiptech seems to have made some friends!
Thank you very much Mike!

That's exactly what I needed to know...

My Collection:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptech View Post
Thank you very much Mike!

That's exactly what I needed to know...
I just grab them from cars in the JY.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
One thing I did was color it with a blue or in my case, orange colored Sharpie permanent marker.

I converted my blue stock lights to match my Prelude BB6 gauge cluster's orange color.

Check out my member's ride thread for more pictures I took of the process.

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
97' Lexus LS400 286k miles.....Luxury Cruiser DD
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
hiptech
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp[mike] View Post
they come off pretty easily, i found keeping it wet with water helps. Dont just try to pull it straight off, make sure you work the sides loose, until you can "spin" it around freely on the bulb (similar to breaking a rubber hose loose from a nipple). Then it will come off.
Just a quick follow-up to let you know Mike's suggestion worked. But it took a little more effort since heat and age conspired once again to fuse the sleeve onto the bulb.

Tried running it under warm water and twisting it but that didn't seem to work obviously didn't want to damage it. So I filled a small plastic container with a few drops of dishwashing liquid and warm water. After letting it soak for about 10 minutes I tried twisting it off but it was too slippery. So I ran it under warm water and my grip improved enough to eventually loosen the sleeve and carefully it twisted off in one piece

FYI I used latex gloves the entire time so as not to get any skin oils on the bulb surface which might shorten it's lifespan. Here's to another 24 years of trouble free operation... thanks Mike!

My Collection:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: