Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lesson learned dealing with rusty cat bolts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scudweiser View Post
    one thing ive learned from working on my old jeep, bolts are cheaper than your precious time.

FTMFW
    lol!

Comment

i'm glad ill be putting my new header on at my uncles, where they have a huuuuuuge impact. If i need, i could use the one they use to take off tractor trailer wheels and suspension pieces, it looks like one of the guns from ghostbusters
      Cars:
      91 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
      98 Accord LX Sedan
      95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (E3 16G, PTE 780cc, Godspeed FMIC)

Comment

Originally posted by bmxfelon420 View Post
        i'm glad ill be putting my new header on at my uncles, where they have a huuuuuuge impact. If i need, i could use the one they use to take off tractor trailer wheels and suspension pieces, it looks like one of the guns from ghostbusters
        hahaha! I can just see that thing insta-stripping the bolts!

Comment

Originally posted by BBuncky2 View Post
          hahaha! I can just see that thing insta-stripping the bolts!

personally i'd let it soak in pb blaster for hours. sometimes over night. just go down there every so often and spray the crap out of it then walk away. my sentra's downpipe didnt want to disconnect cuz of rusted bolts. actually an o2 sensor didnt want to come off either. out of the 4 o2 sensor i could only take off 2(yea that blasted car had o2 sensors -_-)! after letting it sit, hammer the hell out of it sideways so it vibrates. then try using a rachet. it worked for me

no
          Accord turbo kit under $2k here
          $30 HID kits here Thread
          "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
          "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post

personally i'd let it soak in pb blaster for hours. sometimes over night. just go down there every so often and spray the crap out of it

after letting it sit, hammer the hell out of it sideways so it vibrates. then try using a rachet. it worked for me
            That's what she said?

Comment

x2 i've had to do this 2x now
              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by scudweiser View Post
                one thing ive learned from working on my old jeep, bolts are cheaper than your precious time.

FTMFW

Well what about...

ft........w? l? It's all I've got...

Comment

Well what about...

dont even waste your time, the grinding bits wont do ANYTHING and the cutting bits will break so many times that youll go through 100 before you even cut the first stud off. hacksaw!!!!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

no
                    $30 HID kits here Thread
                    "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                    "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                      dont even waste your time, the grinding bits wont do ANYTHING and the cutting bits will break so many times that youll go through 100 before you even cut the first stud off. hacksaw!!!!
                      When under the car I use an angle grinder... Its takes less time for me and dont have to worry about bending blades.. I was using a reciprocating saw under the car once and the blade caught and the unit hit my head hard... Never again lol

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                        When under the car I use an angle grinder... Its takes less time for me and dont have to worry about bending blades.. I was using a reciprocating saw under the car once and the blade caught and the unit hit my head hard... Never again lol
                        Ouch! That would hurt a lot! I'm going to try the Dremel with diamond blade or whatever is the strongest that I can find first since it's what I have, and then I'll consider an angle grinder or reciprocating saw.

Comment

wow i lol'd at what was said if you catch my drift

no
                          $30 HID kits here Thread

Comment

Well what about...

thats what i used when i didnt have a angle grinder. take breaks tho or else the disc will break faster from heat build up
                            <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Ouch! That would hurt a lot! I'm going to try the Dremel with diamond blade or whatever is the strongest that I can find first since it's what I have, and then I'll consider an angle grinder or reciprocating saw.
                              plzzzzzzzzzzzz jsut save urself the hassle drop the pipe from DP or cat back to tip and u can use a breaker bar and a wall for bracing and crack all the nuts with ease i shud have took pics when i put my WS2 on how i did it was a breeze, only thing i never had a replacement cat at the time so i have to go back down there but now i got bolts on there i can actually remove.

NOte* this was done to my wintercar which waasn't service or maintained properly (i was an ignorant and bashful teen now my car suffers from cancer) for quite some yrs.
                              Last edited by GearBangnAccord; 01-10-2009, 12:55 PM.
                              Summer 11' Big plans (Bodywork/paint/rims etc..) in Progress STAY TUNED

CLICK THE PIC

Comment

Originally posted by GearBangnAccord View Post
                                plzzzzzzzzzzzz jsut save urself the hassle drop the pipe from DP or cat back to tip and u can use a breaker bar and a wall for bracing and crack all the nuts with ease i shud have took pics when i put my WS2 on how i did it was a breeze, only thing i never had a replacement cat at the time so i have to go back down there but now i got bolts on there i can actually remove.

NOte* this was done to my wintercar which waasn't service or maintained properly (i was an ignorant and bashful teen now my car suffers from cancer) for quite some yrs.
                                I removed the bolts with an angle grinder. It took me forever to get to the top bolt with someone pulling the exhaust to the side! I had to take the guard off of the angle grinder and shield my wrists from sparks!

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!! Holy shat, for cryin' out loud, wear eye protection!

At any rate, the angle grinder accidentally smoothed over the bolt, making it appear there was no hole there. I had to lightly graze over it with the grinder to find the hole again. It blew!

I ordered / put new studs into the engine (that took a while, as none of them wanted to thread in all the way, and many not even close to all the way).

Bolt on was the simple part, as expected.

Stupid ebay exhaust BARELY fit into the cat! I thought it wasn't going to fit; thought that for sure! It works, though.

I had to leave because we were heading up to Frankenmuth for dinner, but all that's left is to properly click the o2 sensor onto the connector, connect mounting bolts, and fully tighten converter nuts.

The number one thing I wanna stress for this and ALL jobs for DIY'ers is that nothing repairing a car this old is EVER what any normal person would consider easy, unless you've done it previously. Your job will likely take 3-fold longer than your wildest dreams if you've never done it before. I guarantee it.

Comment

Working...
                                X