Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Lowering springs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken springs, blown shocks, bouncy ride, shocks that are not properly valved for their "matched" springs... the list of complaints about skunk2's suspension is extensive. Those complaints don't stop at the cb chassis, either.

I do understand going with what seems to be a quality company. Skunk2 has a decent rep when it comes to performance parts. Just not suspension. That, and they're run by immature douchebags that offer cash bounties for personal information on people that troll them on the internet.

Comment

After hearing all these horror stories concerning skunk2 I'll be returning them.
      I've since bought a used set of Neuspeed lowering springs and AGX struts. Thanks for all the info.
      Its not that I didn't do research, I don't know enough about suspensions. I'll be using these until I can gain more knowledge on suspensions and saving up a little more.
      Yes, I know they are dirty but I'll be cleaning them up in the morning. There are no known leaks that I can tell, but for what I paid for them they'll do for now. atleast until I can get a set of yellows.

My Project, My Concept
      1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

Do the AGXs have an adjustable perch like the Konis? I can't remember...
        Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Sadly they do not.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Depending on the drop in those springs the AGX might not work either, I bought a set of Tein S Tech which are a 2.1/ 1.7 and KYB told me directly that their struts would not work on them as it was too aggressive; only option for those is Koni Yellow.
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

As soon as I get refunded on the skunk2's I'll be getting a set of koni yellows.
              its just a waiting game now.
              My Project, My Concept
              1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

Originally posted by mysticivics View Post
                As soon as I get refunded on the skunk2's I'll be getting a set of koni yellows.
                its just a waiting game now.
                If you are not in much of a hurry I suggest you wait as someone mentioned before that they have a spring sale where you can get the brand new set for under $500.
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

With Autoanything.com, you can pretty much do that all the time. I've bought all of my Konis from them, as well as multiple sets of springs from them. Each time I'll put the item in my cart, let it sit for a few days, and then I'll often get a coupon for 20% off if I make my purchase then.

They may have some sort of software alerts that will cause them to see this post at some time, so I'll give my full opinion of them, too. If I ever need to buy yet another set of shocks/springs for my car or truck, I'l continue to use them. They have free shipping, a great selection and detailed, application-specific drop downs for parts within an application. The shipping, while free, is also very quick. I had to call customer service at one point, and they were extremely helpful and polite. My only fault on them is their constant emailing for deals and sales. It's constant.

Just my some small praise of their company seeing as how I'm telling you how to buy things from them at their cheapest price.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

KYB AGX are not suitable for a drop lower than 1.5". I got that straight from KYB, and I learned the hard way through personal experience. They will not last, and they will be dangerous even before they're blown. If they're used already, they're quite possibly shot.

Neuspeed springs are a good choice. Your shock options are koni yellows (sport) and tokico illuminas. That's it.

Glad to hear you're returning the Junk2. People usually just say "maybe I'll have a different experience". Just ask GTRON.

Comment

Bilstein's are another option, and around the same cost. I'm loving mine, but I'm on Nuespeed Race springs and have extended top hats for the front and rear. If your getting the sport springs they should pair up perfectly to those and handle the lowering just fine. They currently are running $118 each for the fronts and $109 each for the rears. I was looking at tirerack.com which is where I purchased mine from as they offer a lifetime warranty on the shocks. Total for all 4 shocks is currently $454 with free shipping. They also have an adjustable collar on them, but no damper settings, but I honestly feel that they don't need to be adjustable. I'm running the B6 Performance Shocks for the 94-97 Accord Wagon, a bit beefier than the ones for our 4th gen.

Comment

I have yet to learn anything about the compatibility of bilstein's offerings for our cars with stiff lowering springs. I need to reach out to the company to get the official word.

Comment

Well as a testament to the abuse they will take. My other chassis was stolen as many of you know. It had the Bilstein's with the FFC front extended top hats and my Nuespeed Race lowering springs. Whoever stole it beat the living shit out of the car. 1 front shock leaked a little bit, but it still has a very nice stroke to it. I've disassembled them and tested the shocks by hand, they not blown by any means. 1 of the rear shocks leaked as well, I've checked them multiple times since having the car back, and only 1 has leaked only a little bit more. I need to replace them eventually, but they took a real beating and stood up to the abuse.
                          Last edited by Rilas; 08-17-2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

The German car kids use them all the time with excellent results. Then again.. Koni and Neuspeed are German right? Maybe there's something there.

Comment

Neuspeed is technically American, but their stuff is manufactured by German companies (h&r used to make their springs. Not sure who does it now.) koni is Dutch.

Bilstein has a very wide range of products. My concern is regarding the products they make specifically for our chassis (well, cb/cd).
                              Rather than assume or rely on anecdotal evidence, I would prefer hearing directly from bilstein. I'll try emailing them this weekend. Otherwise, I don't feel it's a good idea to recommend them for "a drop", whatever that may entail. There was a time on this forum that we believed KYB GR2 shocks were good for a drop (they're little more than stock replacements.)

Comment

If I remember correctly, the US market only has the Bilstein B6 shocks available for the chassis, where as the B8 series is the true performance option meant to pair with lowering springs.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/news-event...85aa8f4166112a

So yes, while Bilstein's quality might be better than Koni, in the case of the CB (and CD), the Koni's are the better option as a proper performance model is available, and is proven many times over to be the best shock able to handle the largest variety of spring/coilover sleeve setups.

Comment

Working...
                                X