CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Old 12-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
Ghostwhite : 1992 Accords

Here is the two door I picked up today, I was initially looking for a donor/replacement car for my 92 four door. I was fairly surprise when I realized it was a two door, the craigslist ad did not mention it or have any revealing enough pictures. It has 65,000 miles on the ODO and the interior is clean enough for me to suspect it may be accurate.

It was listed as leaking rear brake and no reverse. When I picked it up I also notice the crank pulley is coming apart and the alt belt jumped and it is shredding the PS belt.

Loaded up and ready to roll.

Of course its dark so more pics will have to wait until tomorrow.

My 4 door has been around since 2017, it had been sitting a bit when I bought it.

It has served me very well in the last few years but some ice got the better of my yesterday and I slapped the rear against a street sign pole. The two door was going to be a donor for some parts but I don't know if will tear it apart for that or not just yet or just fix it and drive it.

My wife and I are heart broken about the blue car being down, it has served me well and is a treat to drive.

Last edited by Ghostwhite; 01-09-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT seems to have made some friends!
That's got to be a tough decision: insanely low mileage coupe, or restoration of the more practical sedan. Is there any damage to the sedan's unibody, where the suspension mounts up?

The coupe does look like it's in a lot nicer shape. Rear passenger room isn't as bad as most coupes, though, is it?

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
MRT | Engine build | Daily RSX
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
Why not keep both? Use the 4dr as your winter beater and the coupe for fun?
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
Why not keep both? Use the 4dr as your winter beater and the coupe for fun?
I'm with Grumpy, fix 'em both. Sent a PM about parts. Long trip to MN to deliver parts (or you come to OH?), but I've delivered 'em as far as Texas. Not sure what it would take to ship a transmission.

LOTS of CB7 parts - ENTIRE COLLECTION - FREE
Come and get it.
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Well I made a big long post detailing today's adventure to go look at another accord and I got an error when submitting the reply "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched."

I'll make it brief instead. It was a winter weather nightmare out but I didn't figure that out till I got into the metro. I dealt with starter problems on my truck in a snowy Walmart parking lot(the meeting place) 70 miles across the metro from home. New starter didn't wanna work either but a little wiring adjustment got my ford going again, it was miserable laying in the snow under the truck but after making a deal on the new accord at least I could get around and warm up if needed. Got it figured though and only almost wiped out twice on the way home.

New car is a 90 LX four door auto, has some power steering issues, a leaky gas something out back and lotsa rust. It drives ok though so the trans will go in the coupe and anything I need for the blue car is there.

I still feel like pursuing a manual swap on one of the 92s but for now I should have two drivers if I ever get time to work on them.

The coupe is covered.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

So two cars in two days? Now up to 3? Hard core!

You just need to get two more and have them all in working order to match my best streak.

How do you keep a Ford of that age from rusting away up there? I had a starter go bad on my 1962 Chevy pickup way back when (it wasn't winter though). I was able to drop the starter and reverse the forks so it would engage again.

Come and get it.
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
Old 12-31-2019, 05:31 AM   #7
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
wow. Judging by the snow and ice on the towed accord that trip probably should have waited for a better day!
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
So two cars in two days? Now up to 3? Hard core!

You just need to get two more and have them all in working order to match my best streak.

How do you keep a Ford of that age from rusting away up there? I had a starter go bad on my 1962 Chevy pickup way back when (it wasn't winter though). I was able to drop the starter and reverse the forks so it would engage again.
I know, but I really wanna get my blue car going and maybe fart around with the coupe as another DD. The coupe has dents and dings on a few more panels than the blue but the interior is far nicer.

The Green truck I bought in Cali when I lived in Vegas, it hasn't seen too many salty winters but I do try to wash it a lot. The bed fenders are fiberglass so at least they won't go.

My first 'project' truck was a 62 chevy, it is sitting at my dads until next year where I am a lot more setup here, we bought the place in 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
wow. Judging by the snow and ice on the towed accord that trip probably should have waited for a better day!
Probably! But I had the time off so I figured why not, it actually hadn't even started snowing yet at home.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

Mine was red (repainted metallic) with a deluxe cab: chrome bumpers, grille, headlight trim, body side trim. Brings back memories.

Come and get it.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Did a prelim investigation on the blue car, looks bent!

Can't really tell if the upper or spindle is damaged or not, I will probably just look at it when it all gets torn apart. I have to find a good spot to tear apart the tan car, unless I truly swap good for bad parts and make two 'complete' cars it may be pretty tricky moving the tan car around once parts get pulled.

I parked the coupe in a bad spot kinda in the middle of the driveway when I unloaded it, same spot as the snowy pics show. Well I went to move it and kinda forgot there are no brakes and ended up going off the driveway and had to power through a lap around the yard and sorta buried it a bit only because of the whole no reverse thing. Fun times, really wish I took a picture or two. I got time to deal with it today and pulled it backwards a bit and snow blowed a path out of the deep stuff. Its parked with the tan car now. Everytime I think about how much work I have in trans swapping to do I feel really really cold!
Old 01-06-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Picked up a manual trans today and @fleetwood sold me quite a few piece to the 5 speed swap puzzle.

It rode shotgun, it is a prelude model and I also got the prelude intermediate shaft and what we thought was the longer starter bolt needed. I have read I can use the prelude half-shaft as the accord CV is male/male splines and the prelude is male/female.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #12
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

You'll need to look at this thread to move the stud(s) to match the right engine mount.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=74780
Old 01-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #13
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
You'll need to look at this thread to move the stud(s) to match the right engine mount.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=74780
Will do, I'll look into getting the necessary tap, I don't think I have many metric taps.

Does anyone have the shifter boot trim piece by chance? I can buy a custom boot and knob easy enough but don't have the metal ring that would hold it to the console.
Honda 83415-SM4-J01
Plate, Boot Setting

I saw you have the half shaft, I'm debating whether to use a prelude set and just have to get the prelude CV or do a full accord set and get both pieces, one from you.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Scratch that, I stopped by the pic n pull and they had one MT CB7. I was without tools but I managed to get the shifter assy apart to get the ring mentioned above. I also grabbed the knob but the boot was torn and crappy so I left it. I may try and go back next weekend to grab some other stuff. It was 15* and blowing like a son of a gun so I didn't stay longer than I had to.

I know I need a brake pedal and starter. I'll move the motor mount bracket and get a 5spd rubber mount. Not sure if I really need the T-bracket and rear mount or not.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #15
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

I have a spare OEM shift boot if you want it, the chrome is worn off (I just covered mine with electrical tape). If you want to go with a CB half shaft, you might grab that one - I couldn't find the spare spare I thought I had (I have one spare, but I'm keeping that one in case I need it for Ruby). I'm not sure if you have to change the rear bracket and mount or if you can leave those from the auto.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #16
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

I'll keep that in mind fleetwood. I'm going to try and squeeze in a JY run on tomorrow morning, temps will be up but there is a chance of freezing drizzle.

I want to grab a lot of hardware in any case. I don't know how much of the auto hardware is reused, stuff like shifter assy bolts, intermediate shaft bolts, clutch bracket and MC nuts and bolts.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #17
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

It looks like from some reading the 5 speed T bracket for the LX/DX is different but only in how it mounts to the rear mount. EX all models and LX/DX auto uses a taller rear mount and thus a different T bracket. The 5 speed LX/DX mount is a lot stiffer, the auto and EX is more compliant and vacuum controlled for a smoother idle in gear. I will just leave the auto mount and see how it feels.

Well today was a good day. It was 0° outside yesterday but today it decided to be up to 40°F so I took the morning off and ran back to the junkyard for some parts. I started off taking just the things I was missing but it slowly morphed into stripping everything I could for a 5 speed conversion. The donor was a 93 Accord LX.

I grabbed -
5 speed Brake pedal
Clutch pedal assy w/ MC
5 speed Shifter assy w/ cables
5 speed starter w/ bolts
5 speed trans H2A5 w/ bolts
Flywheel and clutch PP bolts
5 speed intermediate shaft w/ bolts
5 speed trans mount
Passenger side CV shaft (didn't exactly need but it was in good shape and factory honda. The Drivers side was already distended and aftermarket junk.)
Cruise control brain
Ignition module
Power mirrors (pair)
Rear ashtray
Power window brain

It was not a bad day, I wish I would've grabbed the ECU and Clock but I'll stop back in on Monday and see if it is still there. I have close enough to two complete swaps +/- a few parts. At least I know what to look for when I try to reuse a lot of the hardware.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #18
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

Good score! I was about half way there yesterday in Rockford, IL. You might need a shovel on Monday - you're supposed to get a bunch of snow up that way, aren't you?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #19
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

The precip does not excite me now that I have a driveway to maintain. I have a plow truck but planning everything out so I don't run out of room to shove snow around is interesting.

Plus I am out of room indoors at the moment and 2 of the three hondas are stuck outside! I may move the coupe in to start on the trans swap.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #20
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Pulled the brown car out to flip around and plowed the spot to get going on the rear suspension swap. I tried taking the arms off of the crossmember, which was a mistake. The front lower arms to crossmember bolts are locked up pretty good so I took the member off with them still attached. I did the same for the bent member/arms and it went much smoother.

The crossmember mount/nutplate was pretty bent on the blue car. I used a spare axe handle on the bolt to slowly bend it back straight and everything bolted right up.

As well as the spindle/arms bolt.

All better again. I plan on checking the alignment here soon.

I was surprised how well everything went and regret not getting it done sooner. I may take a crack at straightening the cross member to get it to bolt up to the brown car. I would also have to work on the spindle bolt, which could be challenging to get just right based on how tight it fits stock. I could prolly get the crossmember on with 3 bolts but that spindle bolt might be a challenge.

Last edited by Ghostwhite; 01-14-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: