I have a music question for all members who enjoy rap/hiphop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a music question for all members who enjoy rap/hiphop

First, I havent been around for a long time, so hi everyone! I had a thought the other day, and where better to ask than CB7's OT

While driving around the other day, I was listening to a song from Lil Wayne's new album, a song called "beat the shit". I like his flow and its a catchy song. But like most rappers, and Wayne is DEFINITELY no exception... he likes using the "N word", A LOT.

I am not racist, much like all of us Im sure... but I almost feel like its inappropriate for me to even be listening to such things. My question is, do you have any thoughts about white people or anyone who isnt black blasting music that uses terms that can be easily construed as racist?

It wouldnt offend me, but if I saw some guy, not white, blasting some song saying "fuck honkys, get money"(makes sense if you know the reference)... it would look a little weird. To me, its just music, but some might take offense to it.

Not sure it that makes complete sense, but hopefully you get what I mean.

you know what I tell people, especially around me...

Fuck what other people think. They are not important, if the important ones cant accept what I listen to Fuck them too.

I am not Black, nor do I find it racist but I like me some hip hop.

Chamillionaire is a good rapper who doesn't cuss and Flo-rida, he caters more towards mainstream but who cares.
    MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
    1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Remember, ice t and his band Body Count did the song "Cop Killer" back in the 90's
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Hey man music is plenty of things. Its best to not take it personal or have others around you take it personal. Its only a form of entertainment and try not to over analyze the situation too much.

Its a form of a different culture and art meant to make sales and to please its listeners and viewers. Then there is the subliminal messaging aspect of it that can go either way on how people perceive the message so be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
          Hey man music is plenty of things. Its best to not take it personal or have others around you take it personal. Its only a form of entertainment and try not to over analyze the situation too much.

Its a form of a different culture and art meant to make sales and to please its listeners and viewers. Then there is the subliminal messaging aspect of it that can go either way on how people perceive the message so be careful.
          x2

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194049

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
            First, I havent been around for a long time, so hi everyone! I had a thought the other day, and where better to ask than CB7's OT

While driving around the other day, I was listening to a song from Lil Wayne's new album, a song called "beat the shit". I like his flow and its a catchy song. But like most rappers, and Wayne is DEFINITELY no exception... he likes using the "N word", A LOT.

I am not racist, much like all of us Im sure... but I almost feel like its inappropriate for me to even be listening to such things. My question is, do you have any thoughts about white people or anyone who isnt black blasting music that uses terms that can be easily construed as racist?

It wouldnt offend me, but if I saw some guy, not white, blasting some song saying "fuck honkys, get money"(makes sense if you know the reference)... it would look a little weird. To me, its just music, but some might take offense to it.

Not sure it that makes complete sense, but hopefully you get what I mean.
            It's not the same thing. White people don't refer to each other as Honkies, but black people to call other black people N words all the time. Not only that, but using the N word in a rap song isn't done in a hateful manner. But if you where to write a song saying fuck honkies, well that would be hateful.

My swap thread
            Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
              Not only that, but using the N word in a rap song isn't done in a hateful manner.
              In certain cases, yes. However there are thousands of songs where rappers will say ***** in an agressive, attacking way. One song that comes to mind is Lil' Jon's "Real ***** Roll Call"

Motherfuck that *****, motherfuck that bitch
              While ***** is thrown around pretty casually these days it can still be very strong when spoken in a certain manner with certain intentions. The above is one example of this.

As for should a white, or any other race, feel bad about listening to music that uses racial slurs in it, I don't think there is a definitive answer. If you enjoy the music and don't use the lyrics in a derogatory way towards anyone then keep on keeping on. However, don't expect everyone around you to feel the same way.

I listen to rap all the time and I sing right along. I have no second thoughts as I know I am a tolerant person and that the words are just that, words. However, when I have the windows down or am in an area where others might be able to hear/see me, I make an effort to turn the music down or not mouth words that might offend the people around me. It's a minor change in the way I enjoy the music but it doesn't negatively impact me enough for me to risk offending someone around me or coming off as intolerant.

Originally posted by Maple50175
              Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

this topic reminds me of that one part of the movie in office space. And lets not forget about N.W.A, lil Wayne really the guy wears skinny jeans and calls him self a rapper. If 2pac was still around over half these wack rappers wouldn't have a job.

Comment

Race is too touchy. Period, end of story.

If someone, anyone, wants to pull the race card they generally do. It is complete fucking bullshit most of the time if you ask me.

The NAACP(National associtation for the advancement of colored people) offends me. Seriously, aren't we all colored?

My color is white. Why does the NAACP exclude me and act like in this day and age there needs to be a coalition like that. And, isn't the term "colored people" offensive?

^^^^

See what I did there?

So basically, yeah. Race and the racism bullshit to me is all exactly that. Bullshit. I don't give one single ounce of extra shit about anyone.
                  Originally posted by wed3k
                  im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Fuck that bs.

Im white as can be, and when I had a sub in my trunk, I would bump NWA/Cube/DRE/Dungeon Family/BIG/PAC/Goodie Mob

All day.

They make the music for fans, not just for black or white fans.

Cmon now.

I agree with TNWagn....and to add to that, when at lights or stopped, or on neighborhood streets, I kept it low key out of respect for peeps and cops...

but cruising, esp on the highway, I blasted that shit.

Im very picky with my rap, but Im not ashamed of it. I can't think of one song that would lose it's power, if you removed that word.

So my point is, is id still rock the shit out of it if none of them used the word.

It is what it is.

Comment

i use the N word with my honky tonk friends. they don't seem to mind.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by antonio7566 View Post
                        If 2pac was still around over half these wack rappers wouldn't have a job.
                        Amen

SOLD!!
                        Boosted H22
                        375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                          i use the N word with my honky tonk friends. they don't seem to mind.
                          I am as white as honky gets, and I say the n word around my black friends all the time. Just like they all me honky, cracka and white boy.

Whatever. Just the other day I pulled a Dave Chappell and was like,"they should of never gave you n***** money. Fuck yo couch, n**** fuck yo couch" and we all laughed like hell and thought it was funny.

Race only matters to people that are too sensitive about race, most of the time.

I realize sometimes people are racist fucking assholes, but there is plenty of room for fun/jokes before crossing that line.
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                            Race only matters to people that are too sensitive about race, most of the time.
                            Which tends to be white people most of the time, at least from what I notice. You know, the people this kind of thing usually wouldn't be directed at.

Ice Cube is probably my favorite rapper, I always have him cranked up a bit. But then, his message is often more serious than bitches and gettin' that dough.
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

You guys got some very interesting points here.

Comment

Working...
                              X