No announcement yet.

Possible to install A/C in a base CB7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just remembered something. Theres an autoshop near me thats going to be scrapping a super rusty 90-91 Accord EX. I know the guy that runs the place and he promised me the alloy rims from it once it gets scrapped. I dont know if the AC in it works, or what condition its in. Maybe I can pull it out? If the owner ever decides to finally scrap it, He said he loves it too much and doesn't wanna let go just yet, Hes got no choice, its so rusty, more than any car I've seen on this site, Wheel wells are missing, The gas tank has a hole in it and leaks if its filled up higher than 1/2. You guys think the A/C might be salvageable?

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Comment

You'll be paying to have the old R12 properly evacuated, assuming your laws are the same as ours in the US. Unless you, or your shop, is comfortable with doing something illegal and harmful to the environment. Chances are that will greatly increase the cost of salvaging that system, so it's up to you.

That would be a good way to do it, though. Everything should bolt right up with very little hassle. It'll still be complicated, but you'll have all the necessary parts at your disposal. Just be sure to get EVERYTHING that you need. Right down to wire harnesses and interior buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        You'll be paying to have the old R12 properly evacuated, assuming your laws are the same as ours in the US. Unless you, or your shop, is comfortable with doing something illegal and harmful to the environment. Chances are that will greatly increase the cost of salvaging that system, so it's up to you.

That would be a good way to do it, though. Everything should bolt right up with very little hassle. It'll still be complicated, but you'll have all the necessary parts at your disposal. Just be sure to get EVERYTHING that you need. Right down to wire harnesses and interior buttons.
        They always do illegal crap, I really dont think they'd care. The question is will they let me take the AC out on their property, as I really dont have any space for another car at home atm. They certainly wouldn't keep it on hold for me.

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Comment

^^^True, if you have the whole system out of the car, it makes a good opportunity to flush everything out properly! It'll be a project for sure though.
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Usually a car needing a R134a retrofit won't have any R12 left (usually leaked out - otherwise it wouldn't need a retrofit!)

If you're fixing your own air conditioner I don't think you need any kind of license. Per the EPA's website (it may be different in Canada):

Servicing: When payment of any kind is involved (including non-monetary), any person working on an MVAC system must be certified under section 609 of the CAA and they must use approved refrigerant handling equipment.
            https://www.epa.gov/mvac/epa-regulat...stem-servicing

IMO, learning how to repair your own air conditioner is one of the lowest hanging fruits of automotive repair. It's not terribly difficult, the equipment needed is modest (and you can often get the pump for free from Autozone as a loaner), and the cost savings is enormous.
            1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
            VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
            NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
            CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

Originally posted by masospaghetti View Post
              Usually a car needing a R134a retrofit won't have any R12 left (usually leaked out - otherwise it wouldn't need a retrofit!)

If you're fixing your own air conditioner I don't think you need any kind of license. Per the EPA's website (it may be different in Canada):

https://www.epa.gov/mvac/epa-regulat...stem-servicing

IMO, learning how to repair your own air conditioner is one of the lowest hanging fruits of automotive repair. It's not terribly difficult, the equipment needed is modest (and you can often get the pump for free from Autozone as a loaner), and the cost savings is enormous.
              I wonder what the license/certification requirements are to do it professionally. It would probably be a nice little side business for someone that has learned how to do it! I assume that stuff is probably where the professional costs come from, though. I bet it's a fortune to get and maintain a license.

Comment

I wonder what the license/certification requirements are to do it professionally. It would probably be a nice little side business for someone that has learned how to do it! I assume that stuff is probably where the professional costs come from, though. I bet it's a fortune to get and maintain a license.
                Something you go to school for to my knowledge. I know a guy down the road who does it but his business services AC units in heavy duty machines, he does cars on the side. I know other people who do it and they just learned from someone else, but always wondered if that was legal.

Comment

To the OP: My dad bought a 93 DX new from the dealer. It had "dealer-installed air conditioning". So, it's definitely possible to retrofit.

Also I had a 89 CRX Si in a previous life that did not have A/C. A local mechanic added a full a/c system (at considerable expense, I think it was about $1000 back then). I noticed the a/c lines were not factory but i'm sure the other components were OEM.
                  1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
                  VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
                  NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
                  CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

Not a bit of gas is released into the atmosphere when I service my cars. I have access to actual machines for 134a, and use commercial vacuum pumps for r12 as to not contaminate the expensive ones. If you recover an r12 system on the 134a machines, it takes out the filters which aren't cheap. (Which is why I did mine with a pump & gauge set).

I did a course on it in college, and took the 609 certification test. So I am legally allowed to do it. I'm not above the law.

You actually need the 609 to buy the bigger containers of refrigerant from part stores, and to legally evacuate & refill. The test costs $20, and you only need to take it once which is nice. If you pass, they give you a card you can put on your moms fridge to show off.

I'm betting most of the shop cost is upkeep, and disposal fees
                    It can also be a little dangerous. If the refrigerant comes out as a liquid, it's at -22 degrees so there's that..

Comment

Working...
                    X