Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can rings be replaced without pulling motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can rings be replaced without pulling motor?

I got a f22a6 and soon i will be replacing the rings soon. Can this be done without pulling the motor? Also i have read on here that it is strongly suggested to pull motor and replace the piston also. I really can't pull the motor so am limited to options without going down that road. I might pay a mechanic for this one. I wonder how much more work it is to pulling this motor. The bottom end is strong. Main bearing was checked when removing oil pan gasket.

its not required, you can do the rings without pulling the motor, but you will end up disconnecting 90% of the stuff that is usually involved in pulling the motor.

The entire head needs to come off, and the bottom (oil pan, girdle) need to come off. The rods can be disconnected from the crank while leaving the crank in place.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
      its not required, you can do the rings without pulling the motor, but you will end up disconnecting 90% of the stuff that is usually involved in pulling the motor.

The entire head needs to come off, and the bottom (oil pan, girdle) need to come off. The rods can be disconnected from the crank while leaving the crank in place.
      It sounds like you are suggesting pulling the motor isn't that much more work. This might be something i should pay a mechanic to do possibly(i have no garage). THen i guess i should replace the pistons also and have it honed. I am still trying to figure out my options. My rings are shot and i know i want those replaced and the head. Reman heads seem pretty cheap for these cars nowadays.

Comment

Pulling an engine is WAY easier than cracking open and rebuilding an engine. Cheaper too. Just go grab a $150 junkyard engine and call it a day.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Agreed. Best to pull your tired motor, install a junkyard unit, and rebuild the old one as time and money allows. Especially if you want to do performance upgrades.
          My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
          Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
          Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

I have no intention of getting a jy engine. Just more money, time, and everything else. I also don't want nor plan any upgrades. OEM is perfect for me.
            This is probably something i will pay my honda mechanic to do. The bottom end lasts a lot longer than the top end and i'm pretty sure it is ok. He will probably be able to do everything in a day.

Comment

Rings are bottom end. You'll be taking nearly everything apart minus the crank from the engine block. You'll be replacing seals, bearings, head gasket, etc. Then you have to factor in the skilled labor required to replace all that properly, plus whatever pain in the ass it is to do without removing the block from the car. This will cost easily 4 times as much as a cheap replacement engine and take 3-4 times as long. You could potentially buy a remanufactured engine, though.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                Rings are bottom end. You'll be taking nearly everything apart minus the crank from the engine block. You'll be replacing seals, bearings, head gasket, etc. Then you have to factor in the skilled labor required to replace all that properly, plus whatever pain in the ass it is to do without removing the block from the car. This will cost easily 4 times as much as a cheap replacement engine and take 3-4 times as long. You could potentially buy a remanufactured engine, though.
                My engine runs really good just need new rings and possibly pistons. So possibly removing engine and doing top end, pistons and rings is an option.No way am i going to install a JY engine. A good reman engine is easily 1600 to 2500. Yes i have heard of people getting ones for alot cheaper but i will never trust a place that can tell u whatever and not have to prove it. I don't see how it is 4 times the labor to leave engine in car. Unless they don't have a Lift. I'll get some prices soon from a couple. I think first i am going to do a valve adjustment and check if my valves are burnt. Will be first time doing this on a car. Maybe i can save on not redoing my head but doubtful as engine has 247k miles on it. I was figuring labor for pulling and installing engine would be around 600 or 700 dollars. Not including anything else id have them do.

Comment

Working...
                X