Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB Pantone color matching thread... help & input needed

I need your help/input.
    For future reference and possible branded products down the line, I need some help figuring out the CLOSEST Pantone colors that our precious cars came in.

This is somewhat of an undertaking as the Pantone color books have thousands of colors with slight variations that make a HUGE difference.

This isn’t going to be a fast process either, instead it's going to take a while to collect information, compare colors, have a consensus among all of us that the color is 'close enough' to OE... and so on. ANY help would be appreciated.

To begin with, I know there are color charts, such as this from PPG (images courtesy of '93accordse), that may make things easier to find the best Pantone color code for each exterior color.

I'm going to leave it like this for now and update and revise the thread as time goes and we get corresponding colors for each OE color.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

the problem is that this sort of thing can't be conveyed through a device/computer screen, which is why those Pantone books are actually printed/painted... I wonder how well those "color matcher" electronic things would work on car paint, though.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
      the problem is that this sort of thing can't be conveyed through a device/computer screen, which is why those Pantone books are actually printed/painted... I wonder how well those "color matcher" electronic things would work on car paint, though.
      Exactly. Doing it via computer/device screens would be impossible as there are way too
      many variances in diaplays alone. I have a few color books on my end, maybe someone in the auto paint field can give us some input, or even other graphic designers. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws...

My end goal is to have some sort of 'close enough' standard for print, plastic (maybe), and other things that either come in Pantone spot colors or where Pantone colors can be used.
      CMYK can work well for some, but not all. Metallics are simply out of the question and gloss can be hit and miss with print.

I have no idea how well one of those computer color matchy things work on auto paint... might have to give it a shot somehow/somewhere.

Comment

I am reading and trying to figure out exactly what it is you are trying to do, i used to mix paint at a auto supply store using the old method(scale) and in the old style the colors are mixed using a variation of weight of the different colors that the specific formula calls for; they also have a device that analyzes samples thru a lens and gives the variation of color to match sun faded paint from samples. Do know that metallic paint can use 5 different types of metallic flake depending on coarseness, luckily Honda did not use any of the exotic flake methods used in later paints.
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Yes it can be difficult to explain exactly what I'm trying to do.

Those whom are not familiar with Pantone, it's a standardized color reproduction system that spans across several mediums. It's primarily used in printing/graphic design work but they also have available paints, textiles, and even some plastics. This standardized system allows you to have a color that matches across ALL platforms no matter what the material or product is.

SO for instance if I wanted to make an enamel filled keychain with a certain color (say Arcadia Green), some t-shirts with the text in that color as well, and other crap... the Pantone green color that is used on/in all of those products would look spot on exactly the same.

This is why I would like to figure out if there is a Pantone equivalent to our exterior colors, so in the event we (the community) want a product or item to match our exterior colors, we can do so with relative ease.

Comment

Im sure if the system is available there has to be a gizmo much like the one used for home and auto paint that will "blend" something similar with the only difference perhaps being the metallic effect.

Comment

next time I go to home depot, I might try bringing my gas cap lid, see if they can give me a sample of paint color-matched to the car color. Depending on how close it gets, that might be a good way to eliminate the metallic components and reduce it to a solid similar color, which would be easier to match up to Pantone chips. Don't they have similar color matcher devices at auto body shops? I'd imagine those devices could output the color numbers in various formats?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I think it's called a spectrophotometer, that I've seen TV shows like Graveyard Carz and Bitchin' Rides use to find correct paint formulas. But there's this, if you have $700 burning a hole in your pocket. Just take it, and some car polish, with you on some junkyard runs:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BYQ3SY...a-348885274296
                Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-03-2018, 04:40 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                  next time I go to home depot, I might try bringing my gas cap lid, see if they can give me a sample of paint color-matched to the car color. Depending on how close it gets, that might be a good way to eliminate the metallic components and reduce it to a solid similar color, which would be easier to match up to Pantone chips. Don't they have similar color matcher devices at auto body shops? I'd imagine those devices could output the color numbers in various formats?
                  The problem with using the one from the bodyshop is that it would give you the actual formula using metallic additives, the one from home depot may be a better idea as it will give you a solid mix. Actual formulas were used by places like the one that i worked at since it has to be mixed by hand but some fancier places have the program add and mix for you so an actual formula is not printed. Then again just as everything else, we had shops that swore the competitor program was spot on when it came to matching and others would complain about it being off.

Comment

%$@#%^* $700... I can not justify that. Even if I try.
                    That and how accurate would it be on cars is a real good question.

Maybe rent one?

Comment

Working...
                    X