RPM gauge not winding up like it should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM gauge not winding up like it should

I got a 92 accord ex coupe 5 speed. My rpm gauge works but doesn't show correct rpm it seems. Like if i hit the accelerator it will go up but maybe half or less of what it should be. It doesn't react like it should. It is sluggish and always below what it should be. WOuld this be the ICM in the dizzy or the VSS(vehicle speed sensor). I replaced the icm a few months ago. Maybe i should of replaced entire dizzy. What yall think?

The VSS has nothing to do with the tachometer, it simply tells the computer, speedometer, and odometer the speed of the vehicle (assuming the standard tire size). How do you know the tach is wrong? First thing is to check the ground wire below the thermostat, it is notorious for causing problems with the tach.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      The VSS has nothing to do with the tachometer, it simply tells the computer, speedometer, and odometer the speed of the vehicle (assuming the standard tire size). How do you know the tach is wrong? First thing is to check the ground wire below the thermostat, it is notorious for causing problems with the tach.
      It will read like 1400 rpms when the engine is at least 2000 rpms. Has a hard time getting above 2k rpms. Realized it going to store and it was very cold outside. Just sort of suddenly started that today. I replaced the icm in dizzy about a year ago. I should of just replaced the whole dizzy but i didn't.

Comment

If the engine runs OK, then I wouldn't jump to replacing the distributor. It could be the tach itself, or problems in the gauge cluster. I have had gage issues because of corrosion on the printed circuit board in the gauge cluster. My 90 sometimes registers 0 rpm until I whack the top of the dash.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-12-2018, 10:28 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I drove to store and back and it didn't do it at all. Car ran fine with it doing it yesterday. I think this is the start of something.lol.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
            I drove to store and back and it didn't do it at all. Car ran fine with it doing it yesterday. I think this is the start of something.lol.
            Big temperature change between yesterday and the previous day?

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
              Big temperature change between yesterday and the previous day?
              No still effn cold as shit here.

Comment

Maybe it is just the cold temperature altogether that is giving your Tach issues.

I swear stuff gets wacky a lot more during the winter time.

A few weeks ago my civic's windows wouldn't roll down unless I moved forward in 1st gear lol. It was like 10 degrees that day.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

Mines been doing this too, seems to go away when the car has warmed up thoroughly. I sure as hell don't need my distributor going out right now.

1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 205K, DD once again

Comment

My issue seem to have went away. Was only on that really cold night it did it. I probably should just replace my dizzy before it leaves me stranded somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X