Caster is 1.3 and 2.6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caster is 1.3 and 2.6?

I got my car aligned today and they said my caster was 1.3 on right and 2.6 on left. I know it is supposed to be between 2 and 4. I am about to replace my radius rod bushings. Could my caster be off on right side cause i have a squishy bushing. If not should i add another shim washer to it while i replace bushing?

To increase the caster, you need to remove the shim washer. If you have just one washer , removing it might get you to about 2.0. I suppose if the front bushing is "squished", it would tend to reduce caster. Compression of the bushings is controlled by the sleeve that runs through them.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Stupid question, what's the consequences of having bad caster?

Comment

The caster helps return the wheels to straight ahead after a turn (kinda like the front fork on a bike, if it were straight up and down it wouldn't be very stable). My wagon is at about 1.8 on the right after repairing accident damage, and that's after removing the shim and trying to reposition the front cross member a little further forward on that side (I think the threaded holes for the mounting bolts are slightly bent from the accident). I haven't noticed any odd tire wear. I've been meaning to cut the shoulder back on a radius rod to get it above 2.0.

I think if he just takes the shim out he'll probably get it into range.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          The caster helps return the wheels to straight ahead after a turn (kinda like the front fork on a bike, if it were straight up and down it wouldn't be very stable). My wagon is at about 1.8 on the right after repairing accident damage, and that's after removing the shim and trying to reposition the front cross member a little further forward on that side (I think the threaded holes for the mounting bolts are slightly bent from the accident). I haven't noticed any odd tire wear. I've been meaning to cut the shoulder back on a radius rod to get it above 2.0.

Now i know why they call caster wheels on a chair, dolly or anything else. Cool now knowing all this shit. Now i have to put those bushings on just to get my caster str8t. First is my exhaust, easy fix i hope. I have been spraying that thing in pbj for days now.

Comment

thanks.

Comment

To increase the caster, you need to remove the shim washer. If you have just one washer , removing it might get you to about 2.0. I suppose if the front bushing is "squished", it would tend to reduce caster. Compression of the bushings is controlled by the sleeve that runs through them.
              Should i then put shim on left side where caster is 2.6 to reduce it. I read they need to be close. Like having one at 3 and other side at 2 isn't good either. Is this right or does it matter.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
                Should i then put shim on left side where caster is 2.6 to reduce it. I read they need to be close. Like having one at 3 and other side at 2 isn't good either. Is this right or does it matter.
                Your alignment person should be the one shimming it. Tell them you want +3 degrees not what they can land on, otherwise find a new alignment place. I go in with my numbers and tell them make it so, and it is unless its not possible.
                I run +4.1 and it helps a lot

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                  Your alignment person should be the one shimming it. Tell them you want +3 degrees not what they can land on, otherwise find a new alignment place. I go in with my numbers and tell them make it so, and it is unless its not possible.
                  I run +4.1 and it helps a lot
                  To shim it an alignment shop would have to take off the radius rod. They won't do that.I can only remove one shim. Not sure how else to make caster more. I thought removing one shim on right which is 1.3 would bump it up to 2.0. My left is 2.6. Should i add a shim to left to make right and left closer to each other. You must of messed with your cross member or radius rod to get 4.

Comment

To shim it an alignment shop would have to take off the radius rod. They won't do that.I can only remove one shim. Not sure how else to make caster more. I thought removing one shim on right which is 1.3 would bump it up to 2.0. My left is 2.6. Should i add a shim to left to make right and left closer to each other. You must of messed with your cross member or radius rod to get 4.
                    When you replace the radius rod bushings your caster will change if your old bushings were pretty bad. Talk to the shop and see if they will put it back on the rack at no/reduced charge after you make your adjustments, some will if you just had an alignment done. There also may be someone in your area with the tools to measure it yourself at home, I have this tool from SPC which can measure camber and caster although it can be a pain.

I would focus more on getting more out of the right than less on the left. These cars have so little caster that every bit can help within reason.

Comment

yeah i brain farted and forgot the shims on the backside of the pack.CB's make the firestone unlimited alignment worth it lol. I dont know what is considered excessive shimming to account for a possibly tweaked front subframe. My alignment guy said it was common on them to get bent or tweaked a bit that makes it harder to get to factory specs. My old CB always had an issue because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwhite View Post
                        When you replace the radius rod bushings your caster will change if your old bushings were pretty bad. Talk to the shop and see if they will put it back on the rack at no/reduced charge after you make your adjustments, some will if you just had an alignment done. There also may be someone in your area with the tools to measure it yourself at home, I have this tool from SPC which can measure camber and caster although it can be a pain.

I would focus more on getting more out of the right than less on the left. These cars have so little caster that every bit can help within reason.
                        Not sure if my caster is right or not after putting on these bushings. But the drive is much better. No more steering wheel jumping from bump in road and seems str8ter(haven't driven highway yet).

Comment

Working...
                        X