Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Treadstone turbo kit horsepower estimate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treadstone turbo kit horsepower estimate?

I'm curious to see what power can be expected from a Treadstone turbo kit. The turbo in the kit is a Turbonetics T3/T4, though the website doesn't list specifics. Internals will be forged stock-spec (85mm, 8.8:1 compression.) Head will be 100% stock F22Ax.

I often recommend this basic setup to people, and I want to check with folks that know more about it in terms of what to expect. I don't want to tell people they're going to make X amount of power if that particular setup is limited to much less!

I'm not looking for exact figures. Just ballpark, so I can be sure not to mislead anyone.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I'm curious to see what power can be expected from a Treadstone turbo kit. The turbo in the kit is a Turbonetics T3/T4, though the website doesn't list specifics. Internals will be forged stock-spec (85mm, 8.8:1 compression.) Head will be 100% stock F22Ax.

I often recommend this basic setup to people, and I want to check with folks that know more about it in terms of what to expect. I don't want to tell people they're going to make X amount of power if that particular setup is limited to much less!

I'm not looking for exact figures. Just ballpark, so I can be sure not to mislead anyone.
    Hard to say isn't it? Any turbo has a wide range of power to make and the limitation comes down to the weakest link in the chain; rods, injectors, piping, exhaust, block work, etc. I can put a GT50 on my car but no way I'll reach the peak HP output of the turbo. So I guess we need more information here....

Comment

Let's say:
      3" exhaust
      the most affordable piston/rod combo from raceeng.com
      Treadstone's F22/H23 turbo kit
      Walbro 255lph fuel pump
      880cc injectors (got that one from your build, as I wouldn't push a stock sleeved block beyond 400hp... so if it got you there, that's all I'd need!)

Engine specs, aside from the presence of stronger internals, will be to stock spec. Head will be untouched.

Comment

The idea is primarily to address the F22A's weakest link, which is the pistons, and building a fairly potent turbo engine out of it. Essentially, replacing all the things necessary to make the engine able to withstand boost reliably, and nothing more. Beefing up the internals, ensuring adequate fuel delivery... but keeping whatever doesn't NEED to be changed unchanged.

Comment

Well this is my setup pretty much but a little lower end. I have a H22, 880CC, GT35, 3" exhaust. But the limiting items here are:

brand name turbo with no specs
          that very horrible looking turbo manifold
          38mm WG
          clutch??

The Tial 38mm WG can hold up to 1.6bar (23PSI) but I think that would be seriously pushing it (and the piping). The 880CC injectors are good for about 550HP.
          So considering you run a moderate setup (15+PSI) you are looking at 400HP. I think you would need a good tuner to make 400 though, it's easier to have a beefy setup do 400HP than a "barely meeting minimum requirements" setup to reach 400HP. A lot of items need to be upgraded past that point (injectors, fuel pump, meth, clutch, maybe the turbo). And so many other factors here.... syncros, tranny, clutch, low end block work...

Comment

"350-400" is what I'm hoping would be possible on something like this. 350 is more realistic (IMO, more than that can be annoying to drive in a FWD car... though you may disagree, since you're making more than that! )

I hadn't considered the limitations of the wastegate (one reason why I'm asking here... my lack of experience shows.)

I'm really just limiting it to the engine, rather than a full car build. Clutch, brakes, suspension, etc... all necessary, but I'm just looking to see if my go-to advice would actually give the 350ish whp that I think it will!

So do you think 350whp would be a realistic possibility with what I have listed? I'm still digging (between pages in the paper I'm writing) trying to find the exact specs of the turbo in that kit. I find it very odd that a reputable company like Treadstone wouldn't provide that! (granted, they also call Infiniti "Infinity"... so maybe they're not the brightest bulbs in the box.)

Comment

I spoke with Treadstone years ago and they said the base turbo is good for 300-350 wheel.
              '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

"350-400" is what I'm hoping would be possible on something like this. 350 is more realistic (IMO, more than that can be annoying to drive in a FWD car... though you may disagree, since you're making more than that! )

I hadn't considered the limitations of the wastegate (one reason why I'm asking here... my lack of experience shows.)

I'm really just limiting it to the engine, rather than a full car build. Clutch, brakes, suspension, etc... all necessary, but I'm just looking to see if my go-to advice would actually give the 350ish whp that I think it will!

So do you think 350whp would be a realistic possibility with what I have listed? I'm still digging (between pages in the paper I'm writing) trying to find the exact specs of the turbo in that kit. I find it very odd that a reputable company like Treadstone wouldn't provide that! (granted, they also call Infiniti "Infinity"... so maybe they're not the brightest bulbs in the box.)
                Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                I spoke with Treadstone years ago and they said the base turbo is good for 300-350 wheel.
                Ya i agree with both of ya, 350HP. It's looking like the major limiting factor here is that no-name looking crappy turbo with no specs to list.

Still think it would be 350HP if you swapped the turbo out for a Garrett ?

Comment

Turbonetics is a no-name?

Comment

Let's say:
                    3" exhaust
                    the most affordable piston/rod combo from raceeng.com
                    Treadstone's F22/H23 turbo kit
                    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
                    880cc injectors (got that one from your build, as I wouldn't push a stock sleeved block beyond 400hp... so if it got you there, that's all I'd need!)

Engine specs, aside from the presence of stronger internals, will be to stock spec. Head will be untouched.
                    Why are forged pistons so expensive?!

There isn't ANYTHING more affordable than those?
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Sadly, no. That's actually a decent deal.
                      I think I used to see combo kits for $800 years ago, but prices go up, and options become limited.
                      Still, you could probably build a 350whp cb7 that's fairly reliable for $9000 or less (US). Depending on how smart a shopper you are, that could even include the car.

Comment

I see horsepower numbers and figures but nothing informative as to what turbocharger the kit comes with. Yet it's recommended. Just pointing that out.

Anyhow,

Standard used to be a .56 .57 with something like a .60 a/r. I used to know as I asked them several years ago. If one were interested I recommend contacting Treadstone directly. Because honestly, I don't think anyone on here knows. No one I see owns it and no one seems to have been interested enough to ask.

There were optional turbochargers you could trade for that were of equal value. 3 I think. But the .56 .57 .60 ar was standard for the kit. Don't quote me on the exact specs. Things other than my memory can change over 6 or 7 years so it's best to ask them.

Comment

Turbonetics is a no-name?
                          "No-name looking..."

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                            I see horsepower numbers and figures but nothing informative as to what turbocharger the kit comes with. Yet it's recommended. Just pointing that out.

Anyhow,

Standard used to be a .56 .57 with something like a .60 a/r. I used to know as I asked them several years ago. If one were interested I recommend contacting Treadstone directly. Because honestly, I don't think anyone on here knows. No one I see owns it and no one seems to have been interested enough to ask.

There were optional turbochargers you could trade for that were of equal value. 3 I think. But the .56 .57 .60 ar was standard for the kit. Don't quote me on the exact specs. Things other than my memory can change over 6 or 7 years so it's best to ask them.
                            Would those specs be capable of yielding 350whp, do you know?

Comment

for a budget build id open up the piston ring gaps, hone the bore back round, and let it ride... 300 whp tuned well should last a good while. that turbo kit should make it. you will need a stronger clutch.

I made 375whp on a 35mm wastegate, running up to 20 psi with a 4 lb spring. on 2.5" shitty exhaust too.
                              spin city

Comment

Working...
                              X