No announcement yet.

FU Photobucket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ugh, they changed something on their back end that blocked everything automatic. the chrome extension that changes the referrer no longer works, right clicking on the image and opening it in a new tab (deev's trick) no longer works, and my selenium routine for grabbing each picture no longer works.........

i agree that everybody should download all of their albums! is each album downloaded 1 by 1? is there a way to download the entire account? what a mess.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I sure hope PhotoF#@k isn't profeting from everyone using bandwidth to download their albums....

Every image that I uploaded to that server I have on ether CD or HD. There is no way I trust the cloud or any other image hosting site to save my images. I would suggest people should do the same. There is no way you should let these people hold your images hostage. I deleted all my images from the site and have begun the painstaking task of breaking all the old image links directing people to that site.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

i wish PB provided a way for a site like CB7T to "subscribe" to all of just the individual images that appear on this site, regardless of the specific users that uploaded them. We could never expect hundreds (or thousands?) of different, and possibly inactive, users to individually pay for their separate PB accounts.

Current cars:

Comment

I downloaded all mine, but will have to go back and redo some of them (or find them on one of several computers at home). When I open them, the image is stretched very wide, very short on the screen. And so far I haven't found a way to show the file name adjacent to the picture on PB. And my ancient computer is balking at showing all the picture thumbnails when viewing the photo folders.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I'm finally getting around to logging into my Photobucket account and rescuing things. It's cool to find photos I forgot I took, but holy crap the pop-ups! FU Photobucket, indeed.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

logged onto PB and their site is so shiet, it won't even load my pics

luckily, I've had backups of my sig, and the pics of my first 2 posts on my MR thread. But, to go through the rest of my thread would be a PITA! ...it's like, 213 pages
              Omar | aww_shiet | Facebook | Instagram

Comment

Seriously? I just seen this thread pop up and it caught my eye being as I've seen so many signatures lately with "upgrade your photobucket account to whatever". So this is what's up. Nice.

I switched to Flickr Pro a year ago. And now I'm glad I did. Imagine what this is going to do to so many forums? So much data is going to be lost... Photobucket can kick rocks. They think that everyone with their pictures on forums will pay up since that's easiest. What a scum bag thing to do.

Comment

LOL they keep sending me emails informing me that my account requires updating. I am guessing that they haven't taken the time to look at the one image I left in my album.....lol
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Okay, this is weird. I got onto my member's ride thread and was going to relink all of my pictures to my imgur account, but all of the pictures seem to be working. This is especially strange as I deleted most every picture I had from my Photobucket account when I pulled them off.

Can anyone else see them?
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Nope, they are all PB upgrade your account images.
                      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                        Okay, this is weird. I got onto my member's ride thread and was going to relink all of my pictures to my imgur account, but all of the pictures seem to be working. This is especially strange as I deleted most every picture I had from my Photobucket account when I pulled them off.

Can anyone else see them?
                        try this:

HOLD [CTRL], then press [F5]

If you pics are still there, you're good
                        Omar | aww_shiet | Facebook | Instagram

Comment

I still have albums I can't download..... grrrr. Get random BS like this...

Comment

Just received this email from PB.

Even though I'm paid up until Jan 1, 2019... lucky me that I'm only one of MILLIONS they spammed and want to charge me $60 a month for their sh*t.

So $400 a year bill annually OR $60 a month for third party picture hosting.
                            I don't know about you but this advertisement screams "We're loosing customers, do something!".
                            Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

I wonder if they actually think this will work... or if they're just going to take what they can get while in their death throes. There's no way they're going to be able to get enough business to keep afloat. The ad revenue from the thousands of people visiting the site day in and day out would surely be worth more than the trickle of money coming from people willing to fork over $400 or $60/mo (which is absurd.) That ad revenue will surely dry up as people stop visiting the site (something that will happen soon... as soon as folks manage to download all of their albums.)

Back in 2004 or so, the founder of this site contemplated charging for membership. The cost of keeping the site going ended up being more than he expected when we hit 3000 members or so. When he announced it publicly, people were pissed. Numerous people (some that are still around today) threatened to leave rather than pay. Some of those same people were among the first to donate to help cover the cost of operation when that was suggested, however (some of those are still here, too.) When asked to help save a site they enjoyed and found useful, they were happy to help. When forced to pay in order to access the site, they were willing to walk.

Aside from certain specific situations, like yours Jon, NOBODY needs a third party image host anymore. Facebook, Instagram, and the ease of sharing pictures through text messages make such a service unnecessary for anything but hotlinking on forums, blogs, and other websites. Rather than drive 90% of their user base away from their site, as well as deterring future users due to the now abundant "you have to pay to do this!" images strewn about the internet, PB should devise some sort of plan that retains their most commonly used feature, while offering useful advanced features for a price.
                              For example, limit the size and resolution of hotlinked images. Fine for posting a quick picture of your dog, car, etc... But not great if you want to post large, high quality images of, say, your artwork, or an intricate piece of machinery you need help dissecting. They could plop watermarks on the images uploaded to a free account, but remove them on paid accounts. They could limit the number of images, or the number of albums. They could limit the number of uploads allowed per day, or week, or month.

There are TONS of ways they could potentially get their customers to pay. What they're doing is about as smart as a car company selling cheap cars, but charging outrageous prices for "extras"... like seats, or a windshield.

Comment

the thing that bothers me, is that they are still using bandwidth to distribute those stupid placeholder images. Might as well just put a low-quality version of the original image in some form.

they've signed their deathwish, if just from the bad PR alone. They may retain some limited subset of professional photographers (probably the only ones they care about) but I think most people realize that this was handled very poorly, and will continue to badmouth them for the rest of forever. They shot their own reputation in the foot.
                                Last edited by cp[mike]; 07-27-2017, 07:21 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X