Depinning A Connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depinning A Connector

After searching around the only DIY I could find basically said to yank really hard. This works some times, but also takes the chance of leaving you with a pin in a connector and no way to get it out, so I came up with my own method.

Tools: Jeweler’s flathead Screwdriver
    Sewing Needle

Materials: The connector you will be using
    Extra connectors to practice on and get extra pins from

Step 1: Look at the side of the connector; there will be an ‘S’ shaped length of plastic with a clip behind it.
    Take the screwdriver and undo the clips. There will be one clip one each side for the top and bottom. I found it a lot easier to just release the side I was currently working on.

Step 2: Pull the lock up and out.

Step 3: This is when we actually pull the pin out. The inside looks something like this:
    The red part holds the pin in place and is what we are moving out of the way, the blue part is the pin.

The connector:

Pull on the wire you want to de-pin slightly. Now insert the needle between the pin and the lock, like so:

Now push the lock towards the center of the connector, this should dislodge the pin, if not move the needle around as needed.
    Originally posted by 92dm
    I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
    VOUCHES
    Bought from: cb95spd

this will be quite helpful for ecu pinning and for those making thier own pigtails

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

very nice i need to do this for my power folding mirrors. its the only thing holding me back i hope this works. but it looks like it will.

Comment

Originally posted by wagonz
        very nice i need t do this for my power folding mirrors. its the only thing holding me back i hope this works. but it looks like it will.
        Glad to hear that it may help you out.

And yeah, I searched for most of the tags I included and couldn't find anything, so I made one here.
        Originally posted by 92dm
        I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
        VOUCHES
        Bought from: cb95spd

Comment

Originally posted by wagonz View Post
          very nice i need to do this for my power folding mirrors. its the only thing holding me back i hope this works. but it looks like it will.
          I had to use an extra small flat head when I did the PFM on jarheads car. smaller than the one I used for other plugs

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

This is how I make BB6 connectors out of Integra harnesses
            Your man for wiring solutions!
            CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
            CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Working...
            X