RIP Top Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
    Clarkson might be a right ass hole but I do not think he is the first to be violent, which makes me wonder what started the argument.
    I read that he was heated after getting cold cuts instead of a steak for supper. After that he simply was picking fights with the producer over anything and everything.

I can see him being a complete ass to work with, but he sure knows his cars. Although the camera angles, production, scene selections are beyond amazing I would not watch it if the 3 hosts were separated. There was magic there and most the seasons you could find them laughing with each other and playing tricks on each other; showing their nice side.

I do wish they went into more details about the cars though, showed the interior more, showed more features, aspects and technical specifications. For some cars they simply compare it to a mountain goat (or whatever), show some flashy scenes and you don't even get to see the back seats.

But either way it was a great show! Sounds like they simply need a new producer who can beat the snot out of any host who attempts to get violent with them

"This is your new producer. He is a ex-boxer, weight lifter, and active black belt competition fighter. He welcomes all of your input "

Comment

Clarkson's car knowledge is actually not all that extensive. I believe he probably knows a lot about the cars he actually likes... but not so much about others.

Clarkson famously said in an older episode (series 2, I believe) that the 350z's engine was of French design. While Renault does currently own 43.4% of Nissan, that happened in 1999. The VQ engine began production 5 years earlier, and is 100% Nissan. Z guys hate Clarkson for that.

Comment

I agree that if a new presenter came on to replace Clarkson, it would be had to watch after so many great seasons. Then again, James May was the new guy at one point, and that actually worked really well.

This was hopefully a good wake up call for Clarkson. The life in the continuous celebrity spotlight is pretty awful, grueling, and can bring out the worst in anyone. Still, he knew he messed up, and rightly turned himself in.

The three of them should continue on their own. The relationship they have could survive in many different formats, drawing the viewers wherever they went.
        *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
        ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
        ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
        "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

May was the new guy, but just in the beginning. Clarkson had just revamped it, so essentially May came in for series 2. Even now, May or Hammond would be more easily replaced than Clarkson (though I don't know if I'd want to watch that either!)

I'm hoping for a Netflix pickup. Keep the same basic format, making changes only where necessary to avoid infringing on BBC's copyrights.

Comment

It seems really silly to lose a major money maker over the ego of one dime a dozen producer. I wish someone would tell the real story.

I can see the head of the bbc out of a job soon.
            Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

Quote:
              May also updated his Twitter profile to say: "Former TV presenter".

Raf99, about your wish for more detailed reviews, that's what the show used to be. Every now and then, one of the presenters would say "we always get letters from viewers saying we don't properly review cars anymore," and then they'd do some sarcastic attempt at such a review. They switched because the flashy stuff gets more attention, and because of that the show became one of the most watched programs on the planet. Their old format in the '90s and older, before their airport setting and the Star In A Reasonably Priced Car, was pretty dull. Good info if you were seriously looking into buying a car, but not something you'd watch to be entertained. Watch season one of the airport format with Jason and his used market tips, then watch twenty-one. They're different shows.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Yeah, the old format was far more informative, and much less interesting unless you happened to be curious about the particular car being reviewed. While I was interested in the last MR2 (MRS... the convertible thingy.) I found an old Top Gear episode with an old presenter. Very informative. Very helpful. Very boring.
                Perhaps a little more attention to detail could be nice... interior shots would certainly be welcome... but overall, the entertainment value of what it evolved into was fantastic. I just learned today that Netflix no longer has anything before series 17

Comment

I do like the "reviews" they do of older cars in as is condition. The market looking for those cars is probably a large part of their audience. Their challenge involving old luxury cars are spot on for what you will get if you get those cars your self.

I have been losing a lot of interest in Netflix lately. It started with getting rid of Southpark and slowly got rid of a lot of the shows I watch and started adding a lot less interesting shows and movies.
                  Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

My interest comes and goes. Netflix used to have a crazy anime selection. Now, not so much. It's still good, but I've watched most of the stuff that interests me already!

Also, all South Park can be watched on their site, for free.

Comment

FinalGear.com used to host links to every episode of TG, TG America, TG Australia, and Fifth Gear. The BBC even knew about them for years. I remember them being mentioned in an article on TG's website, and Final Gear sent Hammond a custom 'hamster' helmet when he was in the hospital, which he later wore on the show when he was racing the Veyron against the fighter jet). They were recently shut down in that department though, and now they're just a forum with some cool t-shirts.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        My interest comes and goes. Netflix used to have a crazy anime selection. Now, not so much. It's still good, but I've watched most of the stuff that interests me already!

Also, all South Park can be watched on their site, for free.
                        My computer is stupid and will not even load their site. And given the fact the I have one of MS tablets I can't download what I need unless it is in their app store.
                        Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Fifth Gear is horrible. Never thought anyone could make automobiles sound entirely boring to me. But Fifth gear accomplishes just that.

I'll tell you who I would like to see have a television show. Mighty Car Mods.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                            http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

Quote:
                            May also updated his Twitter profile to say: "Former TV presenter".

Raf99, about your wish for more detailed reviews, that's what the show used to be. Every now and then, one of the presenters would say "we always get letters from viewers saying we don't properly review cars anymore," and then they'd do some sarcastic attempt at such a review. They switched because the flashy stuff gets more attention, and because of that the show became one of the most watched programs on the planet. Their old format in the '90s and older, before their airport setting and the Star In A Reasonably Priced Car, was pretty dull. Good info if you were seriously looking into buying a car, but not something you'd watch to be entertained. Watch season one of the airport format with Jason and his used market tips, then watch twenty-one. They're different shows.
                            Yep, I agree. I have all the seasons and all of Jeremy's stuff prior to TG that he did when he had hair Even James has is own shows/reviews that he has done too. Sometimes I cannot help but wonder who's decision it was to turn the show into a "circus show" and if this led to heated debates with the producers.

Some of the earlier shows where they reviewed the history of a car manufacture are so well done.

I've also use to watch 5th gear but lost interest. I won't comment on Top Gear USA, it's simply as bad as "So you think you can drive faster than a redneck". ....... i think that's what it is called.

Comment

I love Fifth Gear, I prefer them for honest info on a given car over Top Gear any day. Especially considering three of the hosts are actually professional racers, they always gave better details on a car's handling. Jeremy just likes to pick on the French and Germans any chance he gets - like with that French-built 350Z engine joke - and too much gets exaggerated. Not to mention, a car's drift-ability is hardly a way to measure performance.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Yes, MIGHTY CAR MODS SHOW!

They already have six great seasons on Youtube, complete with different title clips for each season, tons of great soundtracks composed in house, a forum, and a huge following all over the world. I think they should build a oni camber Japanese VIP sedan as their joke car in season 7!

Honestly, their format is ready for television.
                                *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                                ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                                ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                                "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                                The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                                Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
                                X