Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

looking to start an f22a1 build, but need some guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking to start an f22a1 build, but need some guidance

I am extremely new to the world of the Accord, and the f22. I have a little knowledge of d-series but that too, is limited. I am looking to build my motor over the coming summer. I have a stock 1990 Accord Lx.
    • Rebuild motor
    • Add NOS
    • Add DSM turbo at 4-6psi
    • Upgrade Tranny

I would really appreciate knowing where to begin? If the turbo will hurt me? Does the motor need both top and bottom rebuilt? What ECU would I need to do this and run Hondata S300? I am looking to do this on somewhat of a budget but I realize there are things that I need to purchase that are pricey.
    Last edited by Learners_Permit; 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM. Reason: left out information

Is this a street or strip build?

Turbo and nitrous oxide? Your going to need quite the tuner.

If turbo then bottom rebuild is a great insurance.
    <-- MRT

Comment

Originally posted by accord4me View Post
      Is this a street or strip build?

Turbo and nitrous oxide? Your going to need quite the tuner.

If turbo then bottom rebuild is a great insurance.
      I would like to have a fun Daily that is semi-reliable, I do not mind the upkeep, but I would like to be able to go to the track now and again and throw up some okay numbers.

Comment

You'll need forged internals if you plan on the bottom end lasting more than a few thousand miles, even with new parts and a good tune.

At 4-6psi, a transmission build isn't necessary, even for a healthy automatic. Wouldn't hurt, but it's overkill. Unless you're planning on running a large shot of nitrous (NOS brand or not...)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          You'll need forged internals if you plan on the bottom end lasting more than a few thousand miles, even with new parts and a good tune.

At 4-6psi, a transmission build isn't necessary, even for a healthy automatic. Wouldn't hurt, but it's overkill. Unless you're planning on running a large shot of nitrous (NOS brand or not...)
          Ok, so like ARP? also it's a 5 speed sorry for not including in first post.

Comment

No. ARP makes head studs and other fasteners. Also important, but not what I was talking about. Forged internals. Pistons and rods.
            If you don't know what internals are, you have a LOT to learn before you should expect to build a reliable turbo engine.

Comment

No. ARP makes head studs and other fasteners. Also important, but not what I was talking about. Forged internals. Pistons and rods.
              If you don't know what internals are, you have a LOT to learn before you should expect to build a reliable turbo engine.
              Ok, I understand thank you for clarifying. So does this also include all new internals in the head as well? Where would be a good brand to start with, other than Bisi?

Comment

Right now you don't need to focus on brands. You need to focus on components. Learn what they do and why they're upgraded. Look at other people's builds and research as much as you can on the topic. Questions should come after you've searched for a while and still not found the answers you seek. Right now you're essentially asking one of the most asked questions on this entire forum.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Bisi hardly makes anything, he just helps RD and sells the products.

I'm a firm believer in doing a stock or near stock build first to learn the in's and outs. New comers will learn from it and not waste a few grand on a forged build that will go just as quickly if not quicker when done right, it's not a slap and go process as some would love to believe.
                  You need proper clearances on the bearings this takes proper tools and know how. I can show forged build's that lasted 100 miles only to spin a bearing because someone or shop thought they knew what they were doing. Inproperly done wither with factory clearances or a HP driven build with the builder own preferences will cause oiling issues and result in failure.

In short if you have no clue stop and learn as much as you can, or have a Reputable shop do it that needs to be researched aswell as not every shop knows what they're doing.

02 Crv
                  02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                  92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                  Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Exactly. I know many people, myself among them, that have blindly trusted professionals in lieu of learning things themselves. The result has often been absolutely terrible.

Chances are you're not going to be building the whole engine yourself, especially the machine work... but be sure you know enough to tell when a professional is bullshitting you. Pros know a lot about everything... but it's up to you to learn everything about your specific application.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                      Bisi hardly makes anything, he just helps RD and sells the products.

I'm a firm believer in doing a stock or near stock build first to learn the in's and outs. New comers will learn from it and not waste a few grand on a forged build that will go just as quickly if not quicker when done right, it's not a slap and go process as some would love to believe.
                      You need proper clearances on the bearings this takes proper tools and know how. I can show forged build's that lasted 100 miles only to spin a bearing because someone or shop thought they knew what they were doing. Inproperly done wither with factory clearances or a HP driven build with the builder own preferences will cause oiling issues and result in failure.

In short if you have no clue stop and learn as much as you can, or have a Reputable shop do it that needs to be researched aswell as not every shop knows what they're doing.
                      So I was reading the "add 30+ horse for ~$500" thread and so would those be acceptable upgrades to start with?

Comment

Very acceptable, it's where most start. Will it make it fast? no but they're worthwhile upgrades.

02 Crv
                        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Yes. But that's a totally different focus than what you made this thread about.

Actually, go out right now (or go to amazon.com or ebay) and buy this book:
                          Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. It's very outdated now, but considering our engines are 20 years old, it still applies quite well.
                          Buy it, read it cover to cover, and understand it. That book alone will cover all the bases. You'll learn everything you need to know to get started. It is not by any means a comprehensive study in any one particular area, but it's enough for you to get a good grasp on the basics, so you can start learning the details.

Comment

If you are looking for reliable and dependable, and you can not build an engine yourself. My advice would be to get an H22.

I know you think you want to build a motor. But you need to measure stuff with micrometers replace bearings and forged rods and pistons will run almost as much as an H22 will run and that is no cam or springs.

I thought this would be fun to do. It started with a head and intake change. Then I got to reading and researching. I finally decided that I could get more reliable power with a Honda built not Steve built motor. There is one member on here that has put a lot of effort into building a F and haw done a great job.
                            But in the end I am not that person. Maybe you are. Be realistic in YOUR abilities.

my 2 cents. Maybe in a year I will be able to build but now I didn't feel comfortable.

Just throwing this advice out there.

Good luck.

steve

Comment

Yes. But that's a totally different focus than what you made this thread about.

Actually, go out right now (or go to amazon.com or ebay) and buy this book:
                              Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. It's very outdated now, but considering our engines are 20 years old, it still applies quite well.
                              Buy it, read it cover to cover, and understand it. That book alone will cover all the bases. You'll learn everything you need to know to get started. It is not by any means a comprehensive study in any one particular area, but it's enough for you to get a good grasp on the basics, so you can start learning the details.
                              Ok I will get this ASAP. could you go into depth a little more as to why this is not the exact direction I want to go in?

Comment

Working...
                              X