Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is it possible to install a head gasket wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to install a head gasket wrong

Hey guys im really frustrated with my cb7 not to long ago i had swapped my f22a1 head for an f22a4. Since then i am loosing coolant and oil. The exhaust smells acidic but not sweet and smokes quite a bit, while i am driving i keep smelling a burning smell that is not my header wrap but may be synth oil? (what does it smell like when it burns?) The smoke is white/grey/hint of blue. (not rich blue) I am going through oil 3 qts for every 200 miles. My question is, is it possible to install a head gasket upside down or backwards
    Originally posted by Gummiegorilla
    Damn CBs are like a Rubix Cube sometimes !!!!

call the place you got the head gasket from and make sure you got the right one.any thing is possible bro. did you clean the old gasket off properly ?

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Originally posted by pedalpusher90 View Post
      Hey guys im really frustrated with my cb7 not to long ago i had swapped my f22a1 head for an f22a4. Since then i am loosing coolant and oil. The exhaust smells acidic but not sweet and smokes quite a bit, while i am driving i keep smelling a burning smell that is not my header wrap but may be synth oil? (what does it smell like when it burns?) The smoke is white/grey/hint of blue. (not rich blue) I am going through oil 3 qts for every 200 miles. My question is, is it possible to install a head gasket upside down or backwards
      yes it is, but also you might have put a warped head on a good block, or a good head on a warped block. did you check both the make sure the surfaces were completely flat?
      MR:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150506

CHAMPCOUPE IS BACK !!!!

Comment

the gasket was the right one, and the old gasket was metal and just lifted off. i wiped off both surfaces with a alcohol prep wipe. the block is not warped the head might but it came from a remanufacture shop that mills them and installs new components i have good compression i think this because the car is pepier then when i first bought it but i dont have a guage to measure it i also torqued the head studs to the right specs and in the right pattern the oil is commin from the cylinder one side around the belts

Comment

I also would like to add that when i pull up to a light or stop my motor starts to idle at 500rpm which is low considering my books say 750 +-50

Comment

did you use head studs or head bolts? you cant re use the old head bolts. as far as idle might check the iavc or throttle adjustment screw on the throttle body.
            I LOVE My CB7

Comment

Originally posted by pedalpusher90 View Post
              I also would like to add that when i pull up to a light or stop my motor starts to idle at 500rpm which is low considering my books say 750 +-50
              Yeah I usually idle at like 750 to 800 but never 500

Comment

i was told by a former mechanic and some other people on this forum that i can reuse my head bolts the idle levels out at about 750 to 800 after a few secconds but the fact that it drops to 500 concerns me

Comment

3 quarts is a lot of effin oil! valve stem seals installed incorrectly?? Thats my long shot guess. Cylinder 1 side around the belt leak.. is it contained in the timing cover or is it leaking between the head and the block in that area?

Comment

Originally posted by spillagecars View Post
                    3 quarts is a lot of effin oil! valve stem seals installed incorrectly?? Thats my long shot guess. Cylinder 1 side around the belt leak.. is it contained in the timing cover or is it leaking between the head and the block in that area?
                    i wont be able to find the leak untill i clean everything back up but it looks to me that it was leaking around the head/block mating there is oil in my timing cover

Comment

Did you put a new cam seal in at that end of the camshaft?
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

yes i did replace the cam seal

Comment

This could happen if you put the head gasket on upside down.
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

so I think i did install the head gasket upside down, i looked at my motor and im leaking oil right between my head and block in the back right corner can i just plug it with some polyurethane for the time being i really dont have time to take my head off again nor money can i reuse the gasket?

Comment

here's the deal...

you're not suppose to reuse headbolts but ive been reusing headbolts for many years. I also find that torque to yield bolts will have an angle as a final torque...f22's dont.
                              Ive never had a headgasket leak.

you cannot reuse headgaskets.

also, an acidic smell is more like rich a/f mixture.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X