Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanics rant thread...does your boss have you cut corners when doing work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanics rant thread...does your boss have you cut corners when doing work?

I need a place to vent, maybe others here do as well. Just wondering if anyone else here is put in some of the same positions at their jobs as i am. Ill use this past week as a example. 1997 Civic, boss says needs the clutch replaced due to some rattling noises. Ok this was monday I drop the transaxle, he puts it off intil Tuesday. Tuesday i get the transaxle put back in with new clutch, noise still there. I tell him its not in the transaxle, its a wrist pin on the rod, his reply, are you sure? Anyways Wednsday I pull the engine transaxle back out together, break it down, find no valve damage, input shaft in trans has no bearing play, so hes off to get a engine. Comes back with a junkyard engine with rust all over. Water passages looked terrible, no oil pan, you know typical JY engine. So its pushed to Thursday finally lets me work it all back together, while taking the oil pan off the old engine for the new one I find so much bearing flake in the pan I wanted to smack him, literally, but I get it all back in and running. The IACV isnt working though, probally from sitting for so long, so then I stay late to make sure this things good to go. Run good no idle issues, but has a cricket somewhere, noise I mean coming from the engine bay, his reply Oh well...only thing left is a a/c recharge which was on the original list of things to do anyways. While charging the a/c on friday morning a leak is noticed under the car, I immediatly reconize it as the waterpump which he chose not to replace with a new one, nor the timing belt or the tensioner.

Hes basically a get it done as cheap as he can kind of guy and doesnt understand why stuff comes back the way it does. Bare in mind im his only employee and only make 350 week not matter how many hours are worked. Hell put r134 in r12 a/c systems, misdiagnose things over and over. Thursday a girl comes in with a f150 with a body lift. Boss says it needs a fuel pump, not a bad job with the body lifted, less than a hour on the floor I get this thing done. Doesnt even start, all that was wrong with it was a bad relay under the hood. Its like this all the time.

Double work sometimes triple work. Once pulled a cherokee transmission three times before he figured out the problem. Cracked torque convertor which is understandable, but still was brought up and mentioned to him by me on the second pull "you sure the torque convertor isnt cracked" his reply was nah they never crack.

Cars sit for weeks sometimes over a month for the littlest of things, 2-3 hour jobs because he doesnt know what they need or he only does the quick for sure jobs. Keep in mind as well that all this work is being done off of floor jacks and stands. We have no lift except for a floor lift which is occupied most of the time by a job hes putting off or doest have the money to pay for the parts it needs.....

Anyone able to relate to my situation? Just wanting to talk about it, thats all...

Find another job. 350 a week is horrible for all that.

Comment

sheesh... i hope i don't have to deal with any of those issues when ever i start working in health care.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
        sheesh... i hope i don't have to deal with any of those issues when ever i start working in health care.
        It should apply to all services through out all forms of public service. Ppl work hard for their money and should have the best and get what the are paying for not matter what it is whether be a engine swap or heart transplant. It should be done rite.

Comment

Originally posted by IBCNYA View Post
          It should apply to all services through out all forms of public service. Ppl work hard for their money and should have the best and get what the are paying for not matter what it is whether be a engine swap or heart transplant. It should be done rite.
          that reminds me of this..

Comment

350 is peanuts. dump his lazy ass and get a job in a real shop or a dealership.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
              350 is peanuts. dump his lazy ass and get a job in a real shop or a dealership.
              Working on it but I am not certified and have a bad driving record. A felony charge being on my record makes it hard, plus its not that easy to find a job during the week because of going to work and the weekends are no good. Have a weekly rent payment plus supporting my fiance who happens to also be pregant.

Thing is he knows hes ripping me off, so does everyone else, most of his days are spent on facebook, yeah really, a 35 year old man addicted to facebook. Like grow up. He could buy a post lift but keeps dumping money into cars, trucks and crap he wants, even bought a boat.

Since moving into the new shop in December he bought a 95 S10 and sold it, a Mazda B2200 and sold it, Honda civic for 350 and sold it for 1400, a boat he kept for himself for 1100, then another 7-800 on having the interior done on it, a 89 Ford duely with a 460 he swore had a blown headgasket, so i pulled them then after putting them back on the truck still doesnt run, and lastly a dodge dakota he swore had a blown headgasket only to find when the heads were pulled we found a half dollar size hole in one of the pistons, and a nissan pickup that needed a new head and the transmission rebuit, basically all im saying is his priorities are not in the right place. He acts like all he has to do is make the money while I work for it. He doesnt even know how to check a bad IACV, or jump a fan switch on a honda.

Comment

and people ask me why i dont trust mechanics

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

ive done it before but for the most part we have good paying customers.

yea and i get paid double that working 4 days a week lol
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Are you working full time hours? $350 for a 40 hour workweek is terrible!
                    Even an uncertified mechanic should be pulling in twice that, minimum!

Anyway, I hate bosses that take shortcuts. Chances are, if someone catches it, he'll blame it on you! Watching the bottom line is one thing, and it IS important to stay in business... but "good enough" is a bad business philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Are you working full time hours? $350 for a 40 hour workweek is terrible!
                      Even an uncertified mechanic should be pulling in twice that, minimum!
                      unCertified
                      FELONY
                      bad driving record..

People don't want take a risk.. Especially now when there are plenty of qualified mechanics out of work that are certified, with a decent driving record and no criminal history..

OP if you have a decent set of tools/ almost everything you need I would look into renting a small shop of your own.. That would probably be your best bet.

Comment

Even a position at Jiffy Lube could potentially pay better... and most of those guys are uncertified. Granted, they're not tearing engines apart, but nobody should be doing that much work for under $10/hr!

If this guy is that halfassed, chances are he'd be a lousy reference or addition to a resume... so it's pretty worthless even wasting your time there!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Even a position at Jiffy Lube could potentially pay better...
                          Assuming they would hire a felon.

What was the crime related to OP?

Comment

They do around here! My friend actually just lost his job at Jiffy Lube (he hated it, and he gets fired quick as soon as he's miserable)... and I believe he worked with at least two felons. Maybe it depends on the area.

Comment

Having a felony in your record does not disqualify you from getting a job but it defenetly hurts your chances of getting one, its up to you to prove them that your capable of doing whatever job you apply for.

CALI LIFE STYLE
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=145883

Comment

Working...
                              X