My CB7 is trolling me! (no start)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My CB7 is trolling me! (no start)

Well I slid in the rack and pinion today (finally)

Went to the car wash and had some super clean degreaser (it is good but residue is evident) I sprayed it on and used the pressure washer to rinse the bay.

I cranked the car drove home turned it off then used a little carb cleaner on the t/b. I went to turn it on again and NADA!

So I didnt hear the fuel pump and I decided to use my spare dist just in case right ? I put it on and voila the car turned on. I was like and decided to go inside and get the igniter from my dist I just took off to get it tested. So I turned the car off went inside and came back to the same problem. Square one. (only this time I heard a "pop" once or twice)

I walked to the autozone. Tested both igniters ( ones a hitachi and the other "NEC") Both tested good.

But now Im stuck WTF is going on ? I also put a main relay on hold at the store and will be checking all the fuses in the morning.

I hope using the NEC igniter on the hitachi system didnt damage anything (although when it turned on it didnt seem bad or anything even cured my irratic idle )

Some help or ideas would be welcomed guys. My cb7 is trolling the shit out of me.

you think its just need to dry off ? Why is the pump not turning on any more? bad pump? or main relay? wiring ? short? water damage? troll ?

how much carb cleaner did you spray in the TB? You probably just need to clear it all out of there. Keep trying to start it, once it does start drive it for a bit.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I still need to get it aligned which i will do if Im not trolled in the morning. I was trying to limit how much I was driving it about. So when it turned on when I swapped the dist I figured it was G2G. :/ What do you think about using the NEC igniter vs the hitachi igniter ? You think I may have damaged something? I sure didnt seem like it to me but I wouuld like an opinion. thanks for the quick reply also.

Comment

Oh and i think I did kinda spray too much(not a lot) but then again when I swapped igniters it turned on right away.

Also Im not hearing my fuel pump.

Comment

I just checked all the fuses. They were all good. I replaced the coil with a good unit and results didnt change. I removed the service port on the fuel rail and placed the ignition switch on "on" and it squirted very high.

I figure the fuel pump is good because of this?

And how will I know if the main relay is good? does that send a signal to the ignition ?

Help.

Comment

im getting plenty of fuel Im not getting any spark at all.

Comment

think maybe its the way I wired the igniter ?

Comment

I wired the the igniter wrong the second time. But i still dont get why it wouldnt turn on the other times... Hmmm. Its on now. thanks for the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                  I wired the the igniter wrong the second time. But i still dont get why it wouldnt turn on the other times... Hmmm. Its on now. thanks for the help guys
                  found out that the previous owner experience. the same thing. he said just wait till the xheck engine light goes away. sure enough if I wait it cranks right away. wtf is this shit

Comment

Did you cover your alternator and dizzy with a plastic bag before you pressure washed the bay? Well you should never pressure wash the engine bay in the 1st place. Only use a house hose with light pressure. What ever cleaner your using will get the dirt off.

As far as your starting issue. It wouldn't have been the main relay for the simple fact that the main relay runs the fuel pump. You probably got something too wet in the bay and it finally dried out.

Comment

Well the previous owner said that it happend to him too. Said that when the check engine light pops on to wait till it turns off and THEN start the car. And it does work and everything BUT! I've noticed that I have to gas the car for it to catch on. In other words even if it starts it will try to die instantly so I have to time it just right with the gas pedal to keep it alive and then it idles fine and everything.

Comment

Well the previous owner said that it happend to him too. Said that when the check engine light pops on to wait till it turns off and THEN start the car. And it does work and everything BUT! I've noticed that I have to gas the car for it to catch on. In other words even if it starts it will try to die instantly so I have to time it just right with the gas pedal to keep it alive and then it idles fine and everything.
                        Hmmm....sounds like a problem that'll get worse. Maybe the fuel pump is nearing its end? Idk. Hopefully some other folks who have had similar problems will chime in. I've been so disconnected with the CB chassis as of late since I've been studying on the CG I got now. Lol.

But you having to gas it before it it'll actually run properly sounds like a fuel issues. Have you changed your fuel filter since you got the car?

Comment

No I've been lazy. I have the fucking filter too. But one thing I noticed is that When it decides to troll I get fuel ( I dont get to hear the pump prime however) but I dont get spark. Its really fucking strange. I doubt its the coil (replaced it with a known good unit) What Im really thinking it is is the main relay. Ill be purchasing one today and installing it. Along with the fuel filter tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds like a combination of problems. Im gonna say fuel filter and main relay. You could check fuel pressure and visually inspect the relay to be sure.

Comment

No I've been lazy. I have the fucking filter too. But one thing I noticed is that When it decides to troll I get fuel ( I dont get to hear the pump prime however) but I dont get spark. Its really fucking strange. I doubt its the coil (replaced it with a known good unit) What Im really thinking it is is the main relay. Ill be purchasing one today and installing it. Along with the fuel filter tomorrow.
                              Originally posted by Saidaigen8 View Post
                              Sounds like a combination of problems. Im gonna say fuel filter and main relay. You could check fuel pressure and visually inspect the relay to be sure.
                              Lol. Stop being lazy. Lazy is the one enemy of a good sound car build. Haha. I know that for sure.

Change your fuel filter and main relay. That alleviate two problems with the fuel. The spark...that's iffy. You have the same issues as I did. My car wouldn't start for like 2 days. I changed plugs, wires, and dizzy cap and rotor. But I changed the ignitor and coil and it started up fine. It wasn't because I had no spark. But it was because I had a WEAK spark.

Try changing your coil as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X