A/C Compressor out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Compressor out?

I think my compressor is out. The system has freon in it. The compressor won't click on. Tried switching out the relays. Trying to see what I can do to make sure it's not out before I take it in for repair. It's a 92 EX model. Also how can I see which type compressor it is incase I need to scoop one up at the junkyard.

Texas heat is no joke. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Long time listener, first time caller.
    1993 Accord LX- Sold (05/2007)
    1992 Accord EX- Totalled (06/2014)
    1996 Accord Wagon EX (Current ride/daily)
    1995 Accord Wagon EX (Beater)

http://www.hondasociety.com/board/sh...d.php?t=156176

Try adding a little more....mine was low(had a leak before) fixed it added more and now I have a/c again. If that doesn't work then check out the a/c diy and rebuild your compressor.
    1991 Cappuccino Brown LX Coupe
    2013 Rallye Red Civic EX Coupe

Comment

When I noticed my A/C went out I used a cheapo low side gauge that comes with those diy refill systems and it was reading 150 psi, which is not good, but before when it was working last week it was reading 40 psi. I'm a little scared to put anymore in.

Comment

Check to see if the condensor fan comes on when you press the ac button. If it does then its compressor, but if it doesn't then its something else. It could also be ac pressure switch maybe it thinks its low. or too much pressure.
        1991 Honda Accord 2DR LX 180,000 Miles RIP

Comment

Alright just went outside and checked, the a/c fan does not switch on when I push the a/c button on.

Comment

You might have to trip/bypass the compressor switch to make the clutch turn on and accept freon into the system. Even if you think you've put some in there, if the pressure switch thinks there isn't enough in there, then it won't cycle the compressor clutch.

I had to do this when I replaced O-rings in my 91 CB7 coupe when I found out there was a leak in the system in order for it to suck in the new freon.

It's pretty simple, you just need to unlplug the pressure switch and add a jumper wire between the hot side and the 12V side to turn it on...or something to that effect.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
              You might have to trip/bypass the compressor switch to make the clutch turn on and accept freon into the system. Even if you think you've put some in there, if the pressure switch thinks there isn't enough in there, then it won't cycle the compressor clutch.

I had to do this when I replaced O-rings in my 91 CB7 coupe when I found out there was a leak in the system in order for it to suck in the new freon.

It's pretty simple, you just need to unlplug the pressure switch and add a jumper wire between the hot side and the 12V side to turn it on...or something to that effect.
              Haha funny thing I had went outside again and "jumped" the switch and the clutch does kick on before I read this. Looks like I need to put some more freon in. But what if the switch is actually out? How do I go about changing that out?

Thanks everyone! I can at least breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the compressor or clutch isn't out!!! I'd buy you guys beer if you're in the Dallas area.

Comment

Well I think my a/c high pressure switch is out. I vacuumed the system, refilled it and it won't click on. I have to "jump" it in order for the clutch to kick in. At the moment I have it "jumped", I know it's probably not the smartest idea but this heat sucks.

Comment

how did you refill it without the compressor on?
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I "jumped" it at the high pressure switch connection.

Comment

You have to recover(drain) the system again then replace the switch.

Comment

Working...
                      X