has anyone ever used clear coat on headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone ever used clear coat on headlights

I'm thinking of doing some side work to make some $$$.I was thinking of cleaning headlights,I would prefer not to use off the shelf stuff just to have the yellowing and haze retun on the headlight of customers .I was thinking,maybe I can use a clear coat after I polish the headlights.after doing some searching I found this stuff called 2k spraymax,the only downside to it is that after you use it,you have 24hrs before it goes bad.does anyone know of any other kind of clear coat I can use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HEIwqCMtJ0
    Last edited by 90CB7EURO; 12-17-2013, 12:07 AM.

A wax would probably be a better option.
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

I have used that same clear before on some body panels and it worked great. But you do mix hardener into it so your right it will go bad after a short time.

I would probably just pick up some of that cheap krylon clear or whatever from walmart in the spray paint area, should be just fine for a couple thin coats on headlights, just probably not meant to be buffed.

Comment

I won't use wax, I find it just collects in the sanding scratches and pits and makes the plastic look hazy.

My auto body paint instructor told me he used to do this in his shop. Buy used headlights, sand out the haze, then clearcoat them with PPG clear. Really any automotive clear could be used, but he said do not use spray can clear, it would craze the plastic and ruin it. I never tried it myself, so I can't confirm. Best to test on a junk headlight.

You can mix up small batches, you don't need to use the whole can of clear at once.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

If you have plastic headlights you could use a few different grits of wet/dry sand paper and sand the haze, rock chips and scratches out of them.

I used 400/800/1000/2000 and then a slow buff with Brown, Green and white jewelers rouge... topped it off with a light polish with mothers aluminum polish.

Before;

and after;

After this they only require the odd polishing whenever you wash your car.

I have done this since day one on both of my daily drivers and they have yet to go yellow or haze! I can only see the clear coating starting to chip or fade if it is not created for use on the plastic the headlights are made of.
          Last edited by GhostAccord; 12-18-2013, 08:53 PM.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Love the white house.. u and I are the only 2 to try it.
            **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
            Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
            Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

I work at honda, and we use like 2000g sandpaper and a mini can of clear coat paint. it comes in a complete kit with that, and alcohol swabs, gloves, plus towels. all for like $24. and its made in west palm beach FL. looks damn good when done. but you should still do wet sanding for a smooth finish...

before...

after...

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Where can I find this kit?

Comment

I don't see why you can't just use clear coat. It's not like it's going to hurt anything. It's going to be more protective and longer lasting than the waxes and creams out there, plus will be much more UV resistant to future hazing.

The clear will also give a nice protective coating against further rock chips etc. At the same time, the clear voat will take well to regular washing and paint care, and won't wear off like the headlight restoration kits will.

However, the same effect can be acheived with 3M vinyl.

Comment

i use this:

some things to know:
                    -it costs $60 per can, but you can do about 20 headlights with it. if you are charging 50-60 bucks per customer, you make quite a bit of money off a can.

-it is a uv cured sealant. meaning you spray 2-3 coats, leat if flash off and then expose it to sunlight for 30 mins. can't use it if it's overcast or raining.

-wear a respirator because it's pretty serious.

-the prep calls for sanding with 500g, then 800g, followed by a buffing compound. then used Prep-All to clean the surface. later.
                    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by 90CB7EURO View Post
                      Where can I find this kit?
                      ask your local honda dealer. we sell it at mine.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                      01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                      93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                      93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X