EXT: Diy somewhat custom fog lights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Diy somewhat custom fog lights!

Okay well first let me say that i know a diy is worthless without pics and i sadly didn't think to take any. However, tomorrow after school i will post a link to a youtube video ill make so you can more easily understand what i did. So, you may be saying, "hondakid, what is this awesome mod you speak of?" Well it is simply turning your bumper lights into fogs that come on with your parking lights. It may also fool someone who only takes a quick glance that you have some super rare JDM fog lights Also, this is my first diy, so please go easy on me! Oh! and one more thing, i will probably be interchanging the words signal and blinker as well as driving lights and parking lights. Just know that signals and blinkers are the same and driving lights and parking lights are the same. OH!! one last thing, if you break your shit, it's on you! not me!

Step 1: Remove Your bumper lights and unhook them. Set them somewhere safe.

Step 2: Remove your bumper and set it too somewhere safe.

Step 3: Unhook your headlight and unbolt it.

Step 4: You can now get to the wires for the corners and unhook them. Now set the entire light assembly to the side.

Step 6: Take your current corner signal plug and put a 4 ohm resistor in its place. This is so you don't get any hyper blinking by fooling the system into thinking there is a light there. Yes, the resistor will be over powered but since in is not on for long periods of time it should be okay.

Step 6: Take your bumper light harness and zip tie it up to the area where the corner signal used to be. Don't worry, the plug is the same.

Step 7: This isn't necessarily a step, but to explain why you use the bumper light wires for the corner signal is because when the parking lights are off, all the signals flash in time. When the lights are on though, the bumper and corner flash opposite. Since you wont have a bumper signal anymore, the corner will be your only one. This being said, when the parking lights are off, the corner and the rear will flash in time, but when the parking lights are on, the rear and corner flash out of time. Basically, this will ensure the corner signal and the rear signal will always flash in time no matter what.

Step 8: Now that your signals are taken care of, you can move on to the fogs. What you want to do is grab the plug for your corner parking light. There should be 3 wires connected to it. 2 will be the same color and one will differ. Pick your favorite of the 2 same color wires and put a wire tap on it with a foot and a half long piece of wire too. Do the same to the other color. The two wires you added will now be your new bumper light wires. Crimp on a male plug connector to each of the new wires you added. The lights are not polarity sensitive so you can plug the wires into the bumper lights either way.

As of now, both sides of the car should have the same work done. You should have 4 new wires, 2 per side. As i stated, these wires will be for your fogs. If you want the amber look, you can hook everything up, plug it in, put everything back together and admire your work. However if you're like me, and you don't want an amber light and you want an actual fog, you'll have to open up your lights.

Step 9: Preheat your oven to 265*. Set your lights on a cookie sheet and throw them in for no more than 7 minutes.

Step 10: When it beeps, carefully remove the lights and gently tap the lens/housing seam with something semi hard. If your like me, the lens will pretty much pop off. One of them took a bit of pulling but just be careful and it will come apart.

Step 11: once they cool, grab the housing and gently spread the top and bottom apart so the amber lens will come out. Simply pull on it and it will pop out.

Step 12: Run a bead of clear silicone around the housing and push the lens on. Let it cure over night.

Step 13: Now its time for lights. I chose some 1156 sylvania silver stars and they fit perfect. I didn't choose them for output, which isn't any better, but because it gives the fogs a cool blue look when they are turned off. If you want led's then go for it. They would probably look pretty cool. I think any 1156 base will work just fine.

Well now you're done! They are actually pretty bright and provide a good bit of extra visibility. Like i said, ill post a vid of everything tomorrow so you can see what they look like. Good luck and feel free to ask questions. If this has been done before... then oops haha. I searched the diy's and didn't find anything so i figured its a first. Heres the videos i made today. Sorry about the bad quality, my phone does the lights no justice. They are way less yellow and a bit brighter in person. Also, sorry about my bad video skills. I hate being on camera. Without further delay, here are the vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKjnZ...45AUAAAAAAAAAA

Of course the other one doesn't want to upload right but hopefully ill get it fixes and uploaded soon.
    Last edited by hondakid1996; 01-17-2012, 06:03 PM.

Not really sure what your doing here. Removing your bumper lights and turning them into fogs? First I'm thinking its kinda illegal, that corner light can't be seen from the front or in direct sunlight.

If they brighten up the road you should look into upgrading headlights (IE retrofit) or get some real fog lights.
    wat?

Comment

Well, thanks for your input. As for not being able to see the corners, we tested it and you can see them just fine. Im not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but simply saying I puled up to an intersection and had a friend pull up across from me and we both saw the light just fine (I got out and looked too). I did forget to mention though that I have some clear corners and amber leds to put in so they should be even more visible. As for my headlights, I have some brand new nokya arctic whites which are bright as hell. The fogs just add a little touch more of light. Im sorry you don't like it haha.

Comment

Its a great idea, but i highly doubt it will pass a brake and lamp inspection test out in California.

Comment

Ok.....so you just did the running light mod....

This is a fail because you've now disconnected your front mounted turn signal, and no oncoming traffic can see if you are signalling or not.

This "mod" is unsafe. Put it back how it was. You are endangering yourself and others.

I know this thread is almost a year old, but come on, someone needs to say it.
          Last edited by crazymikey; 11-10-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

yup big time fail inspection here in mass, just buy the real fogs.
            (sold to h22wagon93, granite cb7 $1000.00) and c91bse7 cash with trade, jdmfreak, thanks guys!

Comment

can you buy an extra set of bumper lights and turn them into fogs by mounting them where actual fogs would go?
              visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by ryandavis33 View Post
                can you buy an extra set of bumper lights and turn them into fogs by mounting them where actual fogs would go?
                You can mount a spare set of bumper lights under the stock ones yes, but they wont be turned into fog lights, they'll still be bumper lights. Ive seen it, doesnt look bad, just useless

Comment

Are people really so cheap?

A foglight has a reflector that projects and focuses light forward. The lights available for the CBs are particularly horrible at doing this but that's the idea. A bumper light is just a housing to hold a bulb and provide a colored lens.

If you just want the look, your priorities should realign. If you want the additional output just buy other aftermarket foglights.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I dont understand this.
                    All you did was really make the signals light up constant.

If you cant find oem ones, put regular aftermarket ones in:

Its easy enough to do!

Hids in the aftermarket lights:

Find ones that fit the cutout spot good and put them in( hids are optional)Mine light up the road pretty nicely and doesnt blind people because they are aimed down.

EDIT: I spent $10 dollars for these lights and they work well .I got them at harbor freight (the smaller ones not the yellow ones)
                    Dont be cheap people!
                    Last edited by ferenza; 11-11-2012, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                      Are people really so cheap?

A foglight has a reflector that projects and focuses light forward. The lights available for the CBs are particularly horrible at doing this but that's the idea. A bumper light is just a housing to hold a bulb and provide a colored lens.

If you just want the look, your priorities should realign. If you want the additional output just buy other aftermarket foglights.
                      for now i just want to look. i think my HID's put out enough light
                      visit vgruk

Comment

of course i would take the coloring out
                        visit vgruk

Comment

Here's an easier and safer way to do this mod, for anyone who comes across this thread while searching:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=128600

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                          I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Wow I forgot I made this thread! Anyway, I see everyone is in a disagreance with me on this mod, which is cool. I did make a few mods shortly after I did this, which included making the entire corner light (both bulbs) into the turn signal using LED's. I also didn't end up using resistors. The blinkers are extremely visible and I've not had a single problem since I fixed them. Also, the fogs are functional enough. I can light up about 200 feet infront of me, which is more than I expected. More than anything though they look cool to me and apparently to all the people who complimented me on them. More form over function. At the end of the day, its my car, and it all passes inspection. End rant/

Comment

Originally posted by hondakid1996 View Post
                              Wow I forgot I made this thread! Anyway, I see everyone is in a disagreance with me on this mod, which is cool. I did make a few mods shortly after I did this, which included making the entire corner light (both bulbs) into the turn signal using LED's. I also didn't end up using resistors. The blinkers are extremely visible and I've not had a single problem since I fixed them. Also, the fogs are functional enough. I can light up about 200 feet infront of me, which is more than I expected. More than anything though they look cool to me and apparently to all the people who complimented me on them. More form over function. At the end of the day, its my car, and it all passes inspection. End rant/
                              except.....you not only did way more work than you had to, you also made your car really illegal. You can easily grab any common three wire light socket and a dual filament bulb and keep stock functionality AND have them on,all the time.

also, you're probably going to blow your lighting module eventually.
                              Last edited by darkfusion42; 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                              Traded with: Cb7xChun
                              Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                              Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                              My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X