No announcement yet.

I started my own buisness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have you thought of doing the modeling yourself? also asking siblings?

i dont think you need mannequins if you dont have the cash to get them. staring from scratch and with word of mouth can take some time. just be patient and it'll slowly start catching on and start bringing in the customers
    FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

Comment

always a pet peeve with me, so the thing that stands out to me is spelling.. i know this isnt gonna be a major issue, but if youre gonna start a business, spelling is pretty important IMO..

you spelled "accessories" and "Klein" wrong.. plus, you have two different spellings of "Ann(e) Taylor".. the use of quotes around brand names/designers isnt a good thing either.. if its a Calvin Klein item, call it that and not "Calvin Klein".. people might not be sure if its legit or not..

besides the lack of inventory, the site seems ok

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to get back.

As to the modeling bit- I am a size 0-1- so I could only model what is in that range. (I carry all sizes) My sister (that lives in Fl) is also a petite girl.

I decided when I first tackled this issue that for the sake of continuity, if I couldn't pair all the sizes with models- I should do none.
        Mannequins are a high priority.

Mista Juice has now made me aware my firefox spell check doesn't work inside the web builder, nor does the web builder have its own spell check. :/ So, I'll have to go through all the type with MS word.
        I had not considered that using the quotes around the designer could indicate that it was fake. Good looking out there as well.

THANK YOU GUYS!!! I appreciate the other sets of eyes on this!!

Anyone got anything positive to say?
        Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

In my honest opinion, I think the term "online thrift shop" is less attractive than "resell boutique" or "retro goods" or something to that affect. I think people associate prices with .00 with flat person to person sales too, and it seems like you are trying to give the impression of a retail enviornment.

Retail stores charge .99 on items, and the appearance of a retail enviornment will be key to making it feel more like somewhere you want to shop.

Just saying.

I develop real estate and see a lot of first time business and part of my job is to understand the "vibe" a business projects and determine if they are going to make it or not. I cannot judge your situation based off this little bit of info, but, like I said I can tell the feel you are going for and some of the shortcomings in that "feel" is what I was describing. Others mentioned some stuff that I would have said too, like the shadows or displaying the items better.

Nothing personal, I really hope the input can help you turn this into something that is really good for you.

Honest feedback, honest.

You could also link information on items that detail the heritage, like the blue mugs you have-they are likely some sort of german or danish heritage and should include inforamation to that effect in the item description.

Just my opinion, but the information is what sells used stuff. Its the story behind it, how it is relevant to fashion/design, the country that inspired the look etc etc.

Thats the stuff that is going to sell merch for you in the "resale" industry.

Also, just an idea. Maybe you could recruit people from the forum, other forums or whatever to hit up local thrift shops to help you find shit to sell.

You could sell stuff for people on consignment type commission to inspire people to want to help you.

Just as an example, in Omaha lots of thrift stores are RAMPANT with carnival glass. My wife and I collect some of it, and occasionally she will drag me along to half a dozen stores to look for stuff like that. Some of the stuff you find is both retro and valueable and can be had for pretty cheap. We bought a bitchin carnival glass pitcher, its the orange iridescent kind of color, and its flipping awesome. Well anyways, paid $5 and found out its worth $150-$200. My wife collects leaded crystal vases too. They are becoming rare and hard to find(genuine leaded crystal that is) but they are holding good value in the antique dpt.

At a thrift store here, .52 cents buys any drinking glass. At $8/set of four, you could clean up shop if you could find the right stuff but since your inventory is supplied by a second hand market, your inventory will be limited to what is available to you.

This is the problem I see coming your way in the event that this starts to take off. Honestly, I think this will be the hardest part assuming you start selling stuff. I'd consider a few weekends at flea markets and shit to advertise/sell while you are just starting up at this too. Get yourself into a forum where people will learn about your business, that are already doing second hand sales.

I could buy your entire inventory for "home stuff" outright today for $26, but, then what if Deeve wanted to buy something tonight, saw everything was gone and never came back? Keeping a large inventory, plenty of items and staying on top of adding new stuff will be key to this taking off. It will be a difficult transition, but once it starts to go you'll find yourself chasing this inventory problem if you don't plan ahead of it.

Good luck, it seems like you are on the right path. I would work on the feel of the experience, and try to get a solid plan for expanding your inventory.

Consignment is a great way for you to gain inventory w/out spending any money. Common fee for consignment is 15%, but the true value there would be expanding your inventory without making a huge financial investment.

I bet you have family members and friends and shit that would all have something to sell "on consignment"
          Last edited by toycar; 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM.
          Originally posted by wed3k
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Like all the suggestions so far. A large inventory is a must and if you have items you don't have online yet, make that priority #1.

Getting people "in the door" is priority #2. Advertise like hell. FB, online, posters, newspaper, everywhere! Then make sure there's an incentive to keep them coming back. (make sure this is there before you advertise).

Some ideas are:
            - Buy 1 get 1 free.
            - Monthly draws for free stuff.
            - Coming soon! list
            - User comments and suggestions
            - Top trending fads

FB is a good way to get people to see your page and share it. Getting these people to come back or make them feel they are missing out helps too. Maybe start gathering data on your users or ask if they would like to subscribe to a newsletter/coming soon info. Don't be afraid to get out there and hand out cards, posters, etc, we all start at the bottom.

I started a computer repair business almost 2 years ago now. Building a client base is slow going, keeping the ones you have coming back is a must!

Comment

I understand what you both are saying- however- I have NOT told you about the "vision" that this company has.

I have been in a financial situation where I have been an involuntary consumer of exclusively used goods. Working in an office full time, having two children, no car and virtually nothing. Used, and even what would be considered others trash. If I could fix it, id take it.

I have moved on from being an involuntary (necessity) consumer of these goods, to a willing one. (Meaning I could buy it new, and choose to buy it used)

When I go to the poundage store- where goods are sold by weight, not per item, I can buy a pound of clothes, shoes, home goods ect for less than a dollar. It takes time to sift through the wheel barrows full of all kinds of stuff.
              But, here's the kicker. If its not sold at poundage- some places send it to the landfill. Not free to the American destitute, not to the naked Africans, they bury it under the dirt.

My idea- and why I need a wholly different website- is to have a network of people like me, all over the country. They have to have an eye for what is fashionable/would sell on the website- and they have to be able to sell the items at thrift store prices. (you basically have to pay less that $10 for anything to make any money with me) BUT the result will be TONS of usable, quality goods not being buried under the ground.

There is an international/charitable/tax shelter side of this as well. But I have to build the network, and be profitable, before any of that is really worth talking about. But, the vision is there.

So, that is Montou. Not right this minute- but very very soon. I have to have the infrastructure to support that network before I can invite anyone to join it.
              Last edited by LadyG; 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

To the point of inventory- I have about $350 of mostly poundage inventory. I pushed up my launch to coincide a launch "event" so it could take place during and a large local/community arts event (as a promotional thing) and made about a third of my inventory money back.

I bought a little more to replace what I sold at the event- but I am not purchasing anything new until my new site is up (July 15) and I have about half of my actual stock up now, and another third that I could upload now- but might be missing some details (a size, measurement, whatev).

To the point of information- I want to faithfully replicate the thrift experience online. I don't want to know that I am selling a hundred dollar item for five. Its not that important to me. It is important to YOU as the thrift shopper to come to me because I carry those special things, so cheap.
                That thrill of "getting one over on the seller" is part of why people go to garage sales and thrift in the first place.

edit*** I hope this is not coming off as being argumentative.
                Last edited by LadyG; 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM.

Comment

keep doing what your doing its a nice start. i like and shared it on face book.
                  this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                  How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                  Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Originally posted by LadyG View Post
                    To the point of inventory- I have about $350 of mostly poundage inventory. I pushed up my launch to coincide a launch "event" so it could take place during and a large local/community arts event (as a promotional thing) and made about a third of my inventory money back.

I bought a little more to replace what I sold at the event- but I am not purchasing anything new until my new site is up (July 15) and I have about half of my actual stock up now, and another third that I could upload now- but might be missing some details (a size, measurement, whatev).

To the point of information- I want to faithfully replicate the thrift experience online. I don't want to know that I am selling a hundred dollar item for five. Its not that important to me. It is important to YOU as the thrift shopper to come to me because I carry those special things, so cheap.
                    That thrill of "getting one over on the seller" is part of why people go to garage sales and thrift in the first place.

edit*** I hope this is not coming off as being argumentative.

Gotcha.

Nice approach, don't think I've seen much of that before.
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I thought of something else when you said poundage store... lulz
                      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Nice to see how a online start up business grows.

Few things I noticed was the landing page for your site goes directly to your "about" info.

Maybe move your categories up and paste any hot items on front page too.

Also, your domain name ends with .co , I am guessing you will move to .com
                        Is it possible to move to something maybe like MontouVintage Boutique.com ? or MontouBoutique.com? or something catchy.

Maybe it might generate more traffic.
                        Last edited by Qiko; 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM.
                        92 DX Sedan - Auto

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                          Gotcha.

Nice approach, don't think I've seen much of that before.
                          Thanks! I looked at the market before I started, and thought hard about how I could set myself a part from what is out there currently.

Originally posted by Qiko View Post
                          Nice to see how a online start up business grows.

Few things I noticed was the landing page for your site goes directly to your "about" info.

Maybe move your categories up and paste any hot items on front page too.

Also, your domain name ends with .co , I am guessing you will move to .com
                          Is it possible to move to something maybe like MontouVintage Boutique.com ? or MontouBoutique.com? or something catchy.

Maybe it might generate more traffic.
                          That I was aware, it landed you at a main menu with click pics that take you to the different departments. HOWEVER, I have noticed that for different people, different browsers or machines, this site does all kinds of glitchy ish. Its in HTML5- and wix itself is still in beta. Just another in the list of why I feel ripped off.

I tried to get the .com and the dude (or chick) that owns it wants 1200 dollars for it. Its a blank domain too... I said "no thanks".
                          I do not want to alter the name, and as more people generate websites the less common domains will start to be familiar. Think about .net as an example.

Comment

Working...
                          X