Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victim of hit-and-run.. what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victim of hit-and-run.. what should I do?

So first the basics: I'm 18. "My" car is a 2002 Infiniti I35 (the one I got for $400, for those who might remember my thread about the it). It is registered under my mother's name and the insurance card (Hanover Insurance Co.) has both my mother and father's names on it. I live in Morris County in North Jersey, for those who are familiar with the area.

Last night at about 8:00 PM, I was merging onto 80 West in Parsippany. A silver Chrysler 300M was behind me as I moved to the left onto 80. As I pushed harder to get up to speed, the Chrysler tried to pass me me on the right side. By the time I noticed him, he was riding on the shoulder quickly passing me, and the front of my car was aligned with his rear quarters when he suddenly jerked to the left and impacted me. I held down the horn as he jammed on the brakes.

He began to slow down and try to distance himself behind me. I managed to fake getting off at the next exit and ended up behind him as 80 West became 287 South. I called 911 and spoke to the operator on speaker as I proceeded to tail the Chrysler and read the license plate. I kept up with him as he sped and weaved through traffic. The operator told me he would transfer me to an NJ State Police operator and insisted I follow the Chrysler as safely as possible until I could clearly see the plates.

The Chrysler dove off of 287 and onto 10 heading westbound. I got the plate: CC 38CB. The operator put me on with a State Trooper, who then told me to pull over somewhere and wait for assistance. I stopped at an Exxon on 10 and when the police showed up - all four cars of them - I repeated the plate and details of the Chrysler. One trooper filled out an accident report and then left with the rest to pursue the other driver.

So short story long, I just have a question: should I go through my insurance to have the damage to my car repaired, and if I do so, would my premium go up? The right fender is dented badly, with multiple scratches and a lot of paint rubbed off from the other car. The end of the bumper where it becomes the wheel well is also scratched. There are dark scratch marks on the rim and the front right suspension now vibrates violently at highway speeds. My mom suspects that if I make an insurance claim, my premium may go up because my name is not on the insurance for the car... I don't doubt her or my father's experience with accidents and insurance, I'm just looking to see what anyone here might have to say.. If my premium is likely to go up, I'll swallow the damage and have it fixed myself. But if it won't go up, I'll see about going through with an insurance claim.

And yeah.. I'll have pics of the damage soon, later tonight.
    1991 HONDA ACCORD EX COUPE
    2014 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD ----- 2000 Honda Odyssey LX
    2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S ------ 1994 Toyota Corolla DX
    2001 Subaru Outback --------- 1990 Infiniti M30

First try to find out what is causing the vibration. If its a bent tie rod or something easy like that which you can replace then that would put the total scope of the damage into perspective. Also, since you gave them plates they should be able to track the person down. What's the story there?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I would try to go through their insurance first once they're caught. In 2009 my wife was rearended by someone, a cop witnessed it, we never informed our insurance or filed a claim for that reason, we didn't want to have our premiums go up because of some a-hole not paying attention. They never found out, and our monthly payments just went down $15

short

Comment

i was rear ended in September. she filed a claim with her insurance as well as me filing a clam with MY insurance and still didn't have my payments go up because it was obviously her fault. i have never been a victim of a hit and run so i don't have any experience with that, so don't have any good advice for you. i was on the insurance so that may possibly be the different for you since your not on your parents insurance.
        1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
        1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
        1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
        1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

you paid 400 dollars for the car? I wouldn't bother filing a claim with your insurance, wait it out.
          H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Just a thought, check the other wheels to see if the balancing weights are mounted on the outside of the rim. If so, the impact may have moved or removed the balancing weights on that rim. That would make it shake like that for sure.

Comment

Wouldnt the guy that hit and could have almost killed you have to reimburse you? well his insurance company..if they even had it? Id wait till he was caught and contact their insurance co. and then also file a civil suit against them. Do the repair work yourself if you can, then youll have money from all over in your pockets.

Comment

Working...
              X