Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CleanBoost Maxx Fuel Additive increased hp...does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CleanBoost Maxx Fuel Additive increased hp...does it work?

I watched this dyno vid of a Civic Si before and after this additive.....seems pretty impressive, about 10whp gain after adding in only half an ounce of the stuff. Supposedly it only costs .06 cents a gallon to run since its highly concentrated so at most maybe a buck every tank.

A lot of truckers have used this too for their big rigs, so it works for diesel applications as well. Anyone in Utah try this stuff? seems that's the only place that distributes it currently, unless you buy online.

A bottle of the stuff is 30 bucks though. http://boostperformanceproducts.com/...oost-maxx.html

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

One thing he didn't mention was what grade of fuel was being used for the first test. If the fuel was anything less than 93 octane, the ECU may adjust to protect the engine, thus decreasing horsepower. An additive that works as an octane booster would allow the engine to run at full power.
    So if this car was running 87 or 89 octane, the results may just be due to increasing the octane rating of the fuel to what the ECU is specifically tuned for.

It's possible that the stuff adds power, but I'm always wary of anything that claims significant horsepower gains in a bottle. And as I mentioned on your Facebook post, I'm curious to know exactly what it does to increase the horsepower. Increased power relies on a number of factors, and depending on how its done, can introduce greater potential for internal damage.

I can't say I'm not a little intrigued by it, though. I can't help but wonder if I'd see gains of a similar proportion in my CTS-V. That would be 16-20hp! We all want to be able to pop the gas tank and pour in a few extra horsepower... now matter how experienced or skeptical we may be, the excitable young tuner in all of us can't help but get a little worked up over the idea!

Comment

I'm not sure about the year of that Si but most pump gas Honda ECU's do not make ignition and fueling changes based on grades of fuel. yes they have knock sensors, but that only detects engine knock and retards timing to stop it..... It doesn't detect higher octane fuel and change the fuel and ignition maps.

Only on some of the newer models i.e. flex fuel vehicles or GDI engines will the wideband O2 sensor send a signal that will tell the engine management system if there has been a change in air fuel ratios. Then it can make some ignition and fueling adjustments. Not going to happen with our distributor driven ignitions. A COP and smart engine management system might pick up on it. Other than that it's snake oil!

I wonder what the IA temps were for all 6 runs.

The guy in the video states that the drop in hp and tq on the 3 regular gas runs was due to heat soak and rising IA temps. So is he saying that half an ounce of this stuff in 20L of fuel also lowers the intake charge?
      Last edited by GhostAccord; 05-18-2015, 06:19 PM.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

My 06 Cadillac will adjust for lower octane fuel (it even says in my owner's manual that 87 octane can be used if necessary, though not recommended.) I figured if an older GM vehicle would do it, surely a newer Honda would! I believe it's based on the knock sensor. Timing is pulled and more fuel is sent to address the knock brought on by lower octane fuel. Very slight detonation won't do much harm as long as the ECU adjusts accordingly in a reasonable amount of time.

From the 2008 Civic Si owner's manual:
        Your vehicle is designed to operate
        on premium unleaded gasoline with a
        pump octane number of 91 or higher.
        Use of a lower octane gasoline can
        cause occasional metallic knocking
        noises in the engine and will result in
        decreased engine performance. Use
        of a gasoline with a pump octane
        number less than 87 can lead to
        engine damage
        So yeah, I guess you're right... it doesn't adjust.

Maybe this stuff actually does add power. Usually, power is added by increasing the oxygen introduced into the combustion chambers, then burning and expelling it as efficiently as possible. I am genuinely curious as to how this is done with a simple fuel additive. Especially such a small amount. 1/2oz for a full tank? That's like cocaine for your car!

Comment

It is likely just an octane booster.

My GMC Sierra with the 5.3L EcoTec3 engine is rated at 355 HP on gas, and 380 hp on E85.

Also of note is the fact that this engine is 11.0:1 compression ratio, yet can still run on 87 octane gas. I kinda wanna put in 93 and see what happens, but when you have a 26 gallon tank, $0.30 more per gallon really adds up.

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/power-numb...truck-engines/
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Being GM, it's most likely a more advanced system like my CTS-V has. The ECU can detect (via knock sensors, o2 sensors, or something else) how to best run the engine for the fuel being used, and can therefore make more power using higher octane fuel.

I don't believe putting an octane booster in my CB7 would change the horsepower, unless I specifically tuned the ECU to take advantage of it. For that reason, I truly wonder what this CleanBoost Maxx stuff would do for it, or HOW it could actually do anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Being GM, it's most likely a more advanced system like my CTS-V has. The ECU can detect (via knock sensors, o2 sensors, or something else) how to best run the engine for the fuel being used, and can therefore make more power using higher octane fuel.

I don't believe putting an octane booster in my CB7 would change the horsepower, unless I specifically tuned the ECU to take advantage of it. For that reason, I truly wonder what this CleanBoost Maxx stuff would do for it, or HOW it could actually do anything at all.
              Probably would do nothing.

But yeah, from what I understand is the fuel line has an ethanol sensor in it and can adjust accordingly along with multiple o2 and knock sensors. It's really pretty neat.

But along with more electronics means more difficult tuning...
              Gary A.K.A. Carter
              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

He simply drove the car for 15 min after adding the stuff in order not to influence the results, whatever fuel he had in the tank was what he ran for both tests.

He drove around to clear the lines and rail of the stock fuel and introduced the premixed fuel with this additive

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                  Probably would do nothing.

But yeah, from what I understand is the fuel line has an ethanol sensor in it and can adjust accordingly along with multiple o2 and knock sensors. It's really pretty neat.

But along with more electronics means more difficult tuning...
                  I really do wonder how tuning affects that stuff. I reflashed the ECU on my CTS-V for a few extra horsepower (stock car, ECU reflashed with a DiabloSport tuner, using a generic map from DiabloSport made for a bone-stock LS2 in a CTS-V.) I'm wary of putting anything less than 93 in it now, in case whatever adjustment function of the ECU was turned off in the reflash. Though I've been running 92 lately with no problems.

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                  He simply drove the car for 15 min after adding the stuff in order not to influence the results, whatever fuel he had in the tank was what he ran for both tests.

He drove around to clear the lines and rail of the stock fuel and introduced the premixed fuel with this additive
                  That's what he claims, anyway. I've watched some of his other videos, and many of them are good (though he does have one that shows how to "restore" headlights with bug spray...) Also, let it be noted that the manufacturer of the product links directly to that specific video on their website. That video has been watched 104,503 times as of this reply, and it was posted 20 days ago. I'm SURE "Chris Fix" gets money for his video views, and this video is clearly very popular, most likely because it shows something that simply seems too good to be true.

It may be legit... but I'm still quite skeptical. I have a fairly decent knowledge of how engines make power, and the role fuel plays in that process... and I fail to see how 1/2oz of a fuel additive in 16 gallons of gasoline is going to give a horsepower gain that significant. And if it does, what is it doing to the engine to make that happen?

You said on Facebook that "It increases the combustion characteristics of the fuel using nano technology", which I assume is directly from the CleanBoost Maxx website... since it's essentially nonsensical jargon.

Comment

If it was less than $30, I'd consider giving it a shot (well... $20 for 8 oz, $30 for 16, and $40 for 32). It supposedly increases fuel economy as well as horsepower (though that claim may only be for diesel engines... which seems to be the only thing mentioned on the manufacturer's site.) If I could get a few extra miles per gallon in my CTS-V, it might actually be worthwhile... regardless of power production. I've been good lately, and I'm getting about 17.3mpg at the moment!

Comment

Deev, although it's highly likely this guy gets paid for views, I feel as though I must point out that using bug spray to get rid of yellowing on plastic headlamps DOES work. That doesn't mean any thing else that he says is credible in the least... But that method actually does work, I've done it to an 03 EP3 with great results.

I don't see a feasible answer, raising octane would make a diesel engine lose power. Most diesel systems use compression to create combustion, glow plugs are there to start the vehicle. The timing on most diesel engines is fixed as well, and there is no throttle plate to speak of, throttle is controlled by the injectors alone. Combustion doesn't occur until fuel is sprayed, so a higher octane would delay ignition, however a diesel can't correct timing (no spark plugs/dist) so how could it adjust for a delayed burn and increase power?

I think it's a load of crap personally, but if somebody wants to spend $200 on a bottle and a few dyno runs you can bet we'd all appreciate it!

Comment

I tried the bug spray thing once... sure, it cleared up the headlights for a few minutes, until the greasy bug spray dried up, and then they were foggy again! He does have a video showing how to sand and clear headlights, though. I'm actually going to be following that one for all 4 cars in my driveway, and probably my friend's 3 cars as well.

I might cave in and try it on the CTS-V one of these days... but I'm still expecting it to be BS. I know I won't really be able to feel an increase in horsepower, even if it's proportional (as in, I gain 15-20hp on my 400hp engine, as opposed to 7-10 on the 200hp Civic.) If I get 2-3mpg more, I'll consider it a win, however.

Although, more power rarely goes hand in hand with better fuel economy.

Comment

Off topic and rather funny from my days at autozone:

Every so often we'd get a special kind of customer. I saw them only twice during my years there.

This customer somehow redefined the meaning of "idiot user" and baffled me and the other staff when they appeared.

They decided "fuel system cleaner" somehow equated to "mix it with oil".

They had mixed results. The first one happened when I had first started. He destroyed his engine and tried to blame the store.

The second one happened while I was working. His wife called and asked if really high oil pressure was a good thing. I said yes - and conversed with my coworkers to be sure - and told her so. Seemingly relieved, she hung up.
                          Only to call back 10 minutes later to relay to me that the fuel system cleaner was in the oil and wondering if that might be why.
                          MRT
                          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                          Originally posted by Tippey764
                          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

Flex fuel sensor. Remember Flex fuel Fords from the 90's, before flex fuel was really a thing? Yea they have the same tech, basically a sensor on the line or tank that detects what type of fuel is being used. Likely the newer systems or more advanced, but it's nothing new.
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Working...
                            X