Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

f20b turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f20b turbo build

About to be doing an f20b turbo build dd. I found me some bisimoto 8.4:1 forged pistons +1mm over stock, h beam rods, 2.1 cams, retainers and springs, bearings, ss valves and so on...

Turbo im using is gt28 sr20 turbo with internal wastegate.. im keeping ac and ps.. this is my first turbo build and hope to be making 350-400 whp.. any help or guidance will be helpful...

93 accord coupe lxr
    10 fusion se slammed

wow. good luck to you... sounds like your off to a pretty damn good start... i wish you nothing but luck and the best with your build... im subscribed to watch this.
    But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me

Comment

Originally posted by ninjaranger84 View Post
      wow. good luck to you... sounds like your off to a pretty damn good start... i wish you nothing but luck and the best with your build... im subscribed to watch this.
      Thanks.. its not going to be started til I get back home from this deployment around december but some money from each check is buying parts.. im just planning ahead and doing a lot of research because not many people has built up a f20b and I already have one with the lsd manual.. so just cant wait...

93 accord coupe lxr
      10 fusion se slammed

Comment

The main thing to watch out for is the open deck design of the F20B. Since you'll be running overbored stock sleeves, you run the risk of one cracking.

I'm not terribly familiar with the gt28, but I believe it is on the smaller side. I wouldn't push it over 350whp. Smaller turbos generate a lot of heat, and that only increases as you push them harder. Push too hard, and you could end up nuking that engine. My advice would be to look up a compressor map and make sure the turbo is right for your goals.

Also, I assume you're buying an older used turbo, correct? I would suggest using an external wastegate, or at the very least having the internal one rebuilt. If the wastegate fails, the engine goes boom!

Overall, it's a good start. Forged internals are smart. Not many people start their first build that way, since it gets expensive. Just be careful you don't waste your effort with those stock sleeves and small used turbo!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          The main thing to watch out for is the open deck design of the F20B. Since you'll be running overbored stock sleeves, you run the risk of one cracking.

I'm not terribly familiar with the gt28, but I believe it is on the smaller side. I wouldn't push it over 350whp. Smaller turbos generate a lot of heat, and that only increases as you push them harder. Push too hard, and you could end up nuking that engine. My advice would be to look up a compressor map and make sure the turbo is right for your goals.

Also, I assume you're buying an older used turbo, correct? I would suggest using an external wastegate, or at the very least having the internal one rebuilt. If the wastegate fails, the engine goes boom!

Overall, it's a good start. Forged internals are smart. Not many people start their first build that way, since it gets expensive. Just be careful you don't waste your effort with those stock sleeves and small used turbo!
          I talked to bisi and said that the f20b has iron sleeves and wont crack unless I go over 1mm. All the turbo stuff is new and the gt28 turbo is close to the size of the 16g evo turbo if im not mistaking. Dont want to get a small turbo since it will generate too much heat.. only thing I have to do is draw up a way to built my downpipe since im keeping ac.. thanks for the info if there is anything else I need to know please dont hesitate to say anything

93 accord coupe lxr
          10 fusion se slammed

Comment

By "found me some", does that mean you've purchased those items?
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              By "found me some", does that mean you've purchased those items?
              So far thats what I purchaced equalled up to 3126 bucks.. I looked at my order history and the exact turbo I ordered is the GT2871R turbocharger... I still have to order my head gasket, fuel pump, injectors, intercooler, oil and water lines, flange and so on... my wife said my turbo came in 2 days ago so she collecting all the parts as they come in

93 accord coupe lxr
              10 fusion se slammed

Comment

The F20B does have iron sleeves, correct... but it also has an open deck design.

(not an F20B, but you can see the spaces around the cylinders.)
                Good for cooling, but it's a weakness at high power. More so when you bore the sleeves. It may be fine, but that's your next weak spot, since you're already addressing the internals.

There are 2 16g turbos, one large, one small.
                While either is suitable for even a 2.2L engine, as is the even smaller 14b, the amount of power they can produce may be limited. Do your research to make sure that turbo can make your power goals without being turned into a blowtorch!

Here's some helpful reading:
                http://www.enginelogics.com/cmaps.html
                Edit: what is the trim and AR of your GT2871R? With that, you can easily find the compressor map.

360whp or so seems to be about the norm with that turbo on 2.0L engines, from what little research I've done.

Comment

The F20B does have iron sleeves, correct... but it also has an open deck design.

(not an F20B, but you can see the spaces around the cylinders.)
                  Good for cooling, but it's a weakness at high power. More so when you bore the sleeves. It may be fine, but that's your next weak spot, since you're already addressing the internals.

There are 2 16g turbos, one large, one small.
                  While either is suitable for even a 2.2L engine, as is the even smaller 14b, the amount of power they can produce may be limited. Do your research to make sure that turbo can make your power goals without being turned into a blowtorch!

Here's some helpful reading:
                  http://www.enginelogics.com/cmaps.html
                  Edit: what is the trim and AR of your GT2871R? With that, you can easily find the compressor map.

360whp or so seems to be about the norm with that turbo on 2.0L engines, from what little research I've done.
                  .64 is the ar... here is the turbo http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARRETT-GT28...395234&vxp=mtr

93 accord coupe lxr
                  10 fusion se slammed

Comment

I'm not seeing anything showing a GT2871R with those specs, even on the Garrett site. Interesting.

Comment

I'm not seeing anything showing a GT2871R with those specs, even on the Garrett site. Interesting.
                      I hope that the seller didnt sell me a off brand garret ... guess we will find out when I get home.. but im not a noob im a diesel mechanic and 98 percent of the equipment is turbo'd.. just hope I didnt mess up buying this turbo

93 accord coupe lxr
                      10 fusion se slammed

Comment

It's possible... knockoffs DO exist... but I'm not an expert on these things by any means, so it might be something made by Garrett to Nissan's specs, meaning you might not find info on that specific turbo on Garrett's site.

Without being able to find the exact specs, I can only go by what I'm reading on forums and such regarding similar sizes.

I'd shoot for 330-350 tops, to be safe... unless you can find hard evidence to say otherwise. Someone that knows more might be able to help (perhaps toycar will see this... he knows a good deal about turbos.)
                        To be quite honest, 330whp is a massive amount of power for a FWD car.
                        I have a CTS-V making about 430hp to the crank... putting the wheel horsepower somewhere between 330 and 350. It's RWD, and about 1000lbs heavier than a CB7... and even that much power is difficult to control!
                        In a lightweight CB7, with FWD (LSD or not, doesn't matter), it's a lot of power to effectively put down to the ground!

Comment

It's possible... knockoffs DO exist... but I'm not an expert on these things by any means, so it might be something made by Garrett to Nissan's specs, meaning you might not find info on that specific turbo on Garrett's site.

Without being able to find the exact specs, I can only go by what I'm reading on forums and such regarding similar sizes.

I'd shoot for 330-350 tops, to be safe... unless you can find hard evidence to say otherwise. Someone that knows more might be able to help (perhaps toycar will see this... he knows a good deal about turbos.)
                          To be quite honest, 330whp is a massive amount of power for a FWD car.
                          I have a CTS-V making about 430hp to the crank... putting the wheel horsepower somewhere between 330 and 350. It's RWD, and about 1000lbs heavier than a CB7... and even that much power is difficult to control!
                          In a lightweight CB7, with FWD (LSD or not, doesn't matter), it's a lot of power to effectively put down to the ground!
                          Thanks for the advice

93 accord coupe lxr
                          10 fusion se slammed

Comment

A GT2871R1? It's from garret? Never heard of such a thing, I mean well I know there's GT28 but this one is designed to replace a T28/T25s in the sr20s? And your using a F20B? What manifold are you going to use that would allow you to keep PS and AC with this weird turbo? From the link that turbo is really shady to me for some reason.

And for inlet you'll need a T25 flange? Though the specs don't match up right I'd say this is just for a replacement for a t28 in a sr20 but this one claims 400hp and has a internal waste gate too?

If I was spending over 1500.00 on a turbine is look into something alot more simple and it's always good to go external wastegate to adjust the spring and even change the spring too.

When you get the turbo examine it make sure it's not a knock off.

There's plenty of different setups you can go for do a little more research you'll did the right one for you.

Originally posted by deevergote
                            .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

Originally posted by turboAccordHSF View Post
                              A GT2871R1? It's from garret? Never heard of such a thing, I mean well I know there's GT28 but this one is designed to replace a T28/T25s in the sr20s? And your using a F20B? What manifold are you going to use that would allow you to keep PS and AC with this weird turbo? From the link that turbo is really shady to me for some reason.

And for inlet you'll need a T25 flange? Though the specs don't match up right I'd say this is just for a replacement for a t28 in a sr20 but this one claims 400hp and has a internal waste gate too?

If I was spending over 1500.00 on a turbine is look into something alot more simple and it's always good to go external wastegate to adjust the spring and even change the spring too.

When you get the turbo examine it make sure it's not a knock off.

There's plenty of different setups you can go for do a little more research you'll did the right one for you.
                              They have an h22 t28 cast iron manifold... i went internal because they more reliable and easy to set up and dont have to do a lot of exhaust work.. they also have t28 exhaust flange... its all going to work at the end
                              Last edited by fstacrd; 05-22-2013, 03:32 AM.

93 accord coupe lxr
                              10 fusion se slammed

Comment

Working...
                              X