Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Official Photography Thread* (56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!! I've always wanted to see Tiesto live. how was his show?
    ~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by pwrusr View Post
      he was in columbus a bit ago and from what ive heard it was awesome.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by pwrusr View Post
        it was pretty epic... actually.

"Tucking tires and wires."
        The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
          I like the location, shots and processing. But here is my 2 cents.

1 - her shoes are cut off. Her face is lookiing off the frame and the hair is kind of blocking her face.

2- eyes are dark but nothing you can do w/o a flash... I like the shot.

3- I don't like the composition really and it looks crooked...

4- snapshot?

5- looking off frame again, not a lot of light in eyes...

(I wish more people would critique on this forum... so I'm trying to be the starter...)
          no please keep doin what u are doin...

but my 2cents are that...i dont know the lil girl...makin her really shy...she didnt want to look at me...it was really hard
          MY YOUTUBE Channel Plz Sub for the Support thanks

^^^ Click for the Link ^^^

Comment

So I recently decided to let go of my light grey 28-70mm f/2.8 and "downgraded" to the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens for the sake of practicality...Nothing special, but the range is great, focuses pretty fast, costs half of the 28-70mm lens, and is also half the size and half the weight! lol anyways, finally got a chance to take it outside the house and snap some shots..Shots taken around 4pm on a somewhat cloudy day, so lighting was far from excellent..ISO is between 200, 400 and 800..Feel free to take a look at the EXIF file And no tripod of course..

18mm, 1/8s, f/8, ISO400

52mm, 1/5s, f/16, ISO200

62mm, 1/25s, f/8, ISO400

And the rest are taken at 200mm..

1/50s, f/8, ISO400

1/80s, f/5.6, ISO800

1/25s, f/8, ISO400

1/80s, f/5.6, ISO800

1/60s, f/7.1, ISO800

1/25s, f/8, ISO200

Anyways, just feel like sharing..What do you guys think? I know a few people are skeptical about 18-200mm lenses...They're definitely not a fast lens, bokeh isn't the greatest, and sharpness is nowhere near my old 80-200mm f/2.8..But right now I'm willing to sacrifice sharpness for a bit more practicality...Don't have to carry a bag with different lenses and swap them every so often..And even without a bag, carrying around 5-6lbs of dead weight around your neck while you're trying to enjoy your time with your gf ain't fun

I'll give it a few months 'til I get used to it and see how it goes...If I still think it's good enough, my next step would be the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens But so far so good..This lens is somewhat cheap, compact, light (lighter than most lenses I've had so far, for sure), definitely focuses closer than most lenses I've had so far, and it's got VR! It's great 'coz I get to leave my tripod at home more often hehehe...

And here's a shot I took a few months back during a thunderstorm...

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
              So I recently decided to let go of my light grey 28-70mm f/2.8 and "downgraded" to the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens for the sake of practicality...Nothing s

Ronald
              Interesting thoughts on the lens. I think some of those shots turned out pretty well, and they are all pretty good memory shots. It would be nice to carry around just one lens, but I'm not sure if I'd want to spend 600 or more dollars on a lens that just isn't really good at any ONE thing.
              Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Interesting thoughts on the lens. I think some of those shots turned out pretty well, and they are all pretty good memory shots. It would be nice to carry around just one lens, but I'm not sure if I'd want to spend 600 or more dollars on a lens that just isn't really good at any ONE thing.
                For sure bro, I agree with you...This lens is nowhere near as good as my older f/2.8 28-70mm, 80-200mm or 20-35mm lens...But the last time I had my 80-200mm lens it ended up just sitting in my camera bag for a good 4 months because I never used it lol I don't know..I'm just lazy to carry dead weight and swap lenses when I'm walking around right now..I find that I'd end up missing moments..Plus the camera itself is already heavy enough hahaha carrying a professional zoom lens just made it worse..And most of my pics end up getting re-sized to 800x530 anyways..

As for this lens, I spent less than $550 for it (used) on Ebay, shipped from Toronto..Under 6 months old, pretty much mint...So for a $500ish lens I'm not complaining too much right now

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
                  For sure bro, I agree with you...This lens is nowhere near as good as my older f/2.8 28-70mm, 80-200mm or 20-35mm lens...But the last time I had my 80-200mm lens it ended up just sitting in my camera bag for a good 4 months because I never used it lol I don't know..I'm just lazy to carry dead weight and swap lenses when I'm walking around right now..I find that I'd end up missing moments..Plus the camera itself is already heavy enough hahaha carrying a professional zoom lens just made it worse..And most of my pics end up getting re-sized to 800x530 anyways..

As for this lens, I spent less than $550 for it (used) on Ebay, shipped from Toronto..Under 6 months old, pretty much mint...So for a $500ish lens I'm not complaining too much right now

Ronald

Yeah I understand. I'm thinking the same thing as I think I have a family vacation coming up where it would be nice to have a walk around lens... but at the same time being a 19 year old guy I'd rather just ignore my family members and shoot with a lens I like. haha. (hoping to pick up a tokina 12-24 and a nikon 80-200 before this trip) There is always the 50mm for a walk around... hahah.

If you're not using your gear seems like you made a good move. From what I've read the 18-200 is a fine lens. Convenient too!

Comment

Here is one from yesterday:
                    I was looking at the shutter speed and I think it's slight motion blur. But the front of the image looks pretty sharp... I definitely focused on the front of the car. You think my 50mm is front focusing? I'm not sure what went wrong.

F/2.2 50mm iso 320 shutter 1/13. (I'm not a big fan of 50mm for auto shots... but there wasn't a lot of light, I wish I had the 12-24 b/c the sky looked awesome!)

Last edited by ilovemycb7; 11-05-2009, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Here is one from yesterday:
                      I was looking at the shutter speed and I think it's slight motion blur. But the front of the image looks pretty sharp... I definitely focused on the front of the car. You think my 50mm is front focusing? I'm not sure what went wrong.

F/2.2 50mm iso 320 shutter 1/13. (I'm not a big fan of 50mm for auto shots... but there wasn't a lot of light, I wish I had the 12-24 b/c the sky looked awesome!)
                      I dont know what shutter speed you can handhold at, but i cant handhold past about 1/60 consistently. 1/13 is waaaaaaaaaay to slow for me to get a sharp shot, especially with such a small dof with the 50mm.

Tripods work wonders, even cheap ones help.
                      Last edited by zelseman; 11-05-2009, 08:03 PM.

1999 Honda Prelude
                      Photography Site

Comment

Yes, 1/13th is hella slow to hand hold, for most people. I don't think it's front focusing much but with such a shallow DOF it's very hard to tell on an auto shot.

*Click on photo for my MR thread

Comment

Originally posted by HybridKyle View Post
                          Yes, 1/13th is hella slow to hand hold, for most people. I don't think it's front focusing much but with such a shallow DOF it's very hard to tell on an auto shot.
                          True, I'm just not sure how the rocks out front look pretty detailed, but I think that's more of an effect of the editing.

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
                          I dont know what shutter speed you can handhold at, but i cant handhold past about 1/60 consistently. 1/13 is waaaaaaaaaay to slow for me to get a sharp shot, especially with such a small dof with the 50mm.

Tripods work wonders, even cheap ones help.
                          I can handhold that slow if I'm focusing and try about 3 times, but the sun was setting and I was in a panic so I jumped out of the car and started snapping not thinking. Noobie move, I'm pretty disappointed b/c I think I could have had some cool shots.

I have a tripod, but of course it's at home in my non running car.

In other news, what do you think about the shot? (sans stupid blur. ) Just look at a small version so you can't tell.
                          Last edited by ilovemycb7; 11-05-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Has that tilt-shift feel to it (for a small version)

*Click on photo for my MR thread

Comment

All handheld night time ISO was 1600 as I recall... I fail for not bringing a tripod.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Here some of my HS football from last night. I got used to shooting college sports at night, I was excited to use flash.

The rest are on my site. Sports photography has me looking at the 300 f/2.8 more and more.

1999 Honda Prelude
                                Photography Site

Comment

Working...
                                X