Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 Nissan Pathfinder Sticky Throttle Pedal

Hi all,

My Mom's Pathfinder's got an annoying quirk when you drive it that I've been trying to track down an answer for. It's got the stock VG33E motor and 4-speed automatic transmission.

It seems to only happen after the car's been driven awhile and then shut off, for example if you drive to a store and park it in the lot. When you get back into it and start it up, it starts fine. If you pick either drive or reverse, the car will roll forward or backwards just as it normally should.

However, the gas pedal sticks at the first say 1/4" of movement. So essentially you have to push harder than you'd like to get the car to move, which then makes the whole car buck and generally scares everyone walking in the parking lot and creates general pandemonium. Once you push it the initial time, it's fine again until the car sits. You can lightly tap the gas and the car works fine.

Any ideas what could cause this? I've gone through and lubricated both the throttle cable and linkage, and the pedal assembly.

I don't even know where to start. Please refrain from the Toyota comments, this isn't that it sticks open...it sticks closed. I'm just trying to figure out what changes between when it's been driven for a bit versus when I first get into it and everything works as it should.
    Last edited by AccordWarrior; 04-16-2010, 05:07 PM.

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
    Which then makes the whole car buck and generally scares everyone walking in the parking lot and creates general pandemonium.

Clean the throttle body and throttle plate.
    Either a build up of carbon is making it stick, or the throttle plate is worn and as the temperature cools the throttle body gets tighter on the throttle plate.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post

Clean the throttle body and throttle plate.
      Either a build up of carbon is making it stick, or the throttle plate is worn and as the temperature cools the throttle body gets tighter on the throttle plate.
      Good call. If it stops raining tomorrow I will have to grab some cleaner and go from there.

It's funny though...I'll back out of a spot and to go forward I'll jab the gas to unstick it, but since it's got floppy suspension the whole front end pops up.

That's usually the point where mothers grab kids and pull them behind cars for safety and stuff. It'd be really cool if it had enough power to do something neat...on dry pavement at least.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
        Good call. If it stops raining tomorrow I will have to grab some cleaner and go from there.

It's funny though...I'll back out of a spot and to go forward I'll jab the gas to unstick it, but since it's got floppy suspension the whole front end pops up.

That's usually the point where mothers grab kids and pull them behind cars for safety and stuff. It'd be really cool if it had enough power to do something neat...on dry pavement at least.
        Jab the gas before you start the car to free it up first

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Use a toothbrush with carb cleaner.

Comment

Working...
          X