Does the U.S make jdm parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the U.S make jdm parts?

So, you know how Japan and some other countries got 1 piece headlights and all the other goodies and accessories and better motors?

Since all wagons and coupes were manufactured in the US, did they make those parts here or there. Like the 2.0 motors,headlight, curved fogs and other exclusive parts and the HOA emblems. Because a lot of people think since its JDM it was made by the Japanese and has better quality.

Also, what put me on to this is the newbie from Belgium claiming to get a cb7 from U.S but it has the jdm parts(headlights,f20,side markers).

Another thing I figured I'd bring up is the question- why does Japan get all the good stuff? This is my opinion why.

Well first of all, this is America, and we're "supposed" to buy from our own to keep our economy up and growing.

First of all we did get red/clears, 1 piece headlights, nipple-less headlights, intersection lights, amber corners and such. Now things like the parking pole or air purifier, we don't need that "crap"!

The thing is,these exclusive parts came on American cars.

Now I'm pretty sure since this is America, the domestic car manufacturers give us the best options and most exclusive parts. And since HONDA is domestic to Japan they only get the best models and options. And I'm sure there are more strict regulations on imported cars than we have, so people are more inclined to buy domestic, right?

I wonder if I can go to a Honda dealer and buy jdm parts?
    I mean why not? And I don't mean like stuff that needs to be DOT approved.
    Like mugen lip kits or something exclusive to Japanese cars. Probably not..
    Last edited by STREET-SPEC; 02-27-2014, 01:02 PM.

do not second guess the Koch brothers in their decisions or all Honda manufacturing will be sent back to Japan and all Foreign Auto manufacturers will be required to pay a $2000 per car tariff to GM/Ford/Chrysler

if you were to really see alot of what is going on in the auto industry you would cry

as for American cars made here, don't make me pee my pants laughing

my neighbors who came here from Puebla Mexico used to work in a Chrysler plant building the 300 and the Town/Country and the Ram 1500 truck

I had a small block Chevy crate engine that had "Hecho En Mexico" cast into the block and heads

GM has a plant building cars in St. Therese,Quebec, Canada

Annin is the only company making American flags in America

as for Japan, their designers think a bit forward of our consultants in the cars they design

I could go on and on but will bring back an old saying

"sure it's nice but will it play in Peoria?"
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Our CBs are more American made than GM, at least the 1HG models. Even the cheap plastic parts on our Accords are inscribed "Made in America".
      Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

^ Neither answer the question. Just saying...

I've been wondering this myself. I believe the 5th-gen SiR models were only made in America as well, but only sold in Japan, so things like those and the coupes/wagons make you think.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

It's a global market. Maufacturing facilities in various countries are tooled to make certain models, and those models are then shipped to their target market.

US CBs got larger engines, glass headlights on all models (to be honest, I feel glass is superior to plastic.) and plenty of goodies. Honda gave the US the cars that their research told them the US market wanted.
          We don't need bumper poles, because the majority of US parking spots aren't as tight as they are in Japan. We don't need power folding mirrors for the same reason. We don't need 1.8L and 2.0L engines, because our laws don't penalize us for having the larger 2.2L engine. Canadian models come with an engine block warmer... most US models do not, and I'm willing to bet JDM models don't either.
          The point of manufacture and assembly means little anymore. It's not "us" and "them". Ohio or Japan, it's still Honda.

The Japanese market gets many of the interesting performance models. Partially because they're a Japanese company catering to their home market, and partially because such things will be interesting to the Japanese market. The Americans, on the other hand, got the larger engines, larger cars (the USDM Accord is larger than the Asian and European model... same goes for the Odyssey... not to mention stuff like the Acura CL, which was a North American model ONLY.)

So, did the Marysville plant assemble the full JDM coupes, complete with 1 piece plastic headlights and 2.0L engines? Maybe. It's possible that we just assembled the shell, and those parts were added upon arrival in Japan (though that would make no sense to me.)

Comment

Originally posted by STREET-SPEC View Post
            So, you know how Japan and some other countries got 1 piece headlights and all the other goodies and accessories and better motors?

Since all wagons and coupes were manufactured in the US, did they make those parts here or there. Like the 2.0 motors,headlight, curved fogs and other exclusive parts and the HOA emblems. Because a lot of people think since its JDM it was made by the Japanese and has better quality.

Also, what put me on to this is the newbie from Belgium claiming to get a cb7 from U.S but it has the jdm parts(headlights,f20,side markers).

Another thing I figured I'd bring up is the question- why does Japan get all the good stuff? This is my opinion why.

Well first of all, this is America, and we're "supposed" to buy from our own to keep our economy up and growing.

First of all we did get red/clears, 1 piece headlights, nipple-less headlights, intersection lights, amber corners and such. Now things like the parking pole or air purifier, we don't need that "crap"!

The thing is,these exclusive parts came on American cars.

Now I'm pretty sure since this is America, the domestic car manufacturers give us the best options and most exclusive parts. And since HONDA is domestic to Japan they only get the best models and options. And I'm sure there are more strict regulations on imported cars than we have, so people are more inclined to buy domestic, right?

I wonder if I can go to a Honda dealer and buy jdm parts?
            I mean why not? And I don't mean like stuff that needs to be DOT approved.
            Like mugen lip kits or something exclusive to Japanese cars. Probably not..
            I believe you are incorrect.

1) It is likely that some of the "JDM" parts sold on those cars were made here, especially the ones that were manufactured here.

2) In most cases, Hondas have higher domestic parts content than most "domestic" car companies. Hell, Chrysler is now a 100% Italian owned company, but they still claim to be "domestic."

Our 2013 Accord EX-L V6 has about 90% US parts content, and ALL major assemblies were built in the US, including the engine, tranny and the final assembly. It has been the case with every Accord we have owned since our 6th gen. In fact, in the US, it is getting very hard to find a Japanese manufactured Accord, and for the current generation, I don't believe there will be any because such large cars have fallen out of favor in Japan. It is also more cost effective to build them here and ship them overseas.

3) For the part I think you are wrong on, I don't believe US feature content is held back for political reasons.

It is far more likely that the US doesn't get all of the "fancy" features because in the US most people view the Accord as an "economy" car, or a "regular" car. Every product must compete in its market segment, and since most of Honda's competition didn't offer such things, it didn't make sense to charge the extra money for stuff that people in that market segment (regular mid-sized sedans) didn't want. This was especially true back in the days when the Accord was already notably more expensive than most of its competitors.

Also, Honda America has the unique challenge of having to deal with Acura. They can't completely load up the Accord because then cars like the Vigor would have been largely obsolete.

As market tastes have changed though, the Accord has kept pace and the 2013 plus Accord is a full tilt luxury car in every respect when you start stepping up to the higher trim levels.

Finally, some features weren't featured in the US because they didn't make sense. For instance, on a car the Accord's size, folding mirrors are important because the parking is so tight. Power folding mirrors make sense there because otherwise you would have to get out to fold your mirrors every time you want to park. In the US, it is pretty much not needed, even in the oldest cities. Honda still does this with features like heated mirrors, which the Canadian Si features, but the US one does not.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

My understanding:

US made models for overseas (JDM etc) was:

1) In general the US parts was essentially the rolling stock (shell, glass, exhaust, steering hardware etc) some interior items (empty right hand dash board, steering wheel etc).

2) Market specific items where made overseas (Japan) such as digital climate controls, power fold mechanisms, interior trims, headlights, tail lights, stereo, engine (eg. F20a EFi DOHC version).

3) Items in 2) above where then used in the assembly plant (hence parts are stamped "Stanley" and "made in Japan" on these little parts and options).

Just my observation and opinion on the manufacturing process.
              Rides:

Accord
              92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
              96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
              88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
              95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
              91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

People always confuse tuner desires with market desires.

That's what it comes down to. Honda won't invest in features that the American population doesn't want. They don't take into consideration what people on cb7tuner would like.

They take the opinions of average peeps.

And obviously, yes, they don't include options that don't make sense here(Park pole) or would take away from Acura(Mirrors with integrated signals)

Comment

As we know all coupes and wagons of the 4th generation Accord were made in USA.

However I have never seen one piece headlights or digital climate control on a JDM wagon or coupe. Headlights are nipple less glass 2-piece glass ones as the EDM version and climate controls are the manual version.

Power folding mirrors, fully electric drivers seats and stainless door sills etc were still equipped on US made coupes and wagons which were sold abroad. This is my experience at least.

Euro CB7 2.2i [F22A3] --> [H22A7]

Comment

Originally posted by JDMDriver View Post
                    My understanding:

US made models for overseas (JDM etc) was:

1) In general the US parts was essentially the rolling stock (shell, glass, exhaust, steering hardware etc) some interior items (empty right hand dash board, steering wheel etc).

2) Market specific items where made overseas (Japan) such as digital climate controls, power fold mechanisms, interior trims, headlights, tail lights, stereo, engine (eg. F20a EFi DOHC version).

3) Items in 2) above where then used in the assembly plant (hence parts are stamped "Stanley" and "made in Japan" on these little parts and options).

Just my observation and opinion on the manufacturing process.
                    Parts on our cars are made in various places. I'm sure there are quite a few parts that are made in China, Mexico, India, etc... And new Hondas probably have far more parts made elsewhere.

Originally posted by lindiz View Post
                    As we know all coupes and wagons of the 4th generation Accord were made in USA.

However I have never seen one piece headlights or digital climate control on a JDM wagon or coupe. Headlights are nipple less glass 2-piece glass ones as the EDM version and climate controls are the manual version.

Power folding mirrors, fully electric drivers seats and stainless door sills etc were still equipped on US made coupes and wagons which were sold abroad. This is my experience at least.
                    I wonder if the point of manufacture/assembly had anything to do with the use of glass headlights on coupes and wagons. That's an interesting point! The lights are still different from the USDM units, being nipple-less, and aimed the other way on the RHD vehicles. They'd still have to have special market-specific lights for use on the cars to be exported. I always assumed it was just an aesthetic choice (and it may still be), but now I wonder if it had something to do with the assembly process, or maybe even the shipping process.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Parts on our cars are made in various places. I'm sure there are quite a few parts that are made in China, Mexico, India, etc... And new Hondas probably have far more parts made elsewhere.
                      I don't know if you got my point though.

Whilst it is true that various parts making up a car are made from various countries overseas, it is something that I wasn't unaware of or denying.

I was speaking specifically about the CB's made in the US for overseas (eg. JDM) markets and if any parts were made in the US that are sought after JDM options (folding mirrors, digital climate controls etc) as the OP seemed to be trying to make a link between the jdm parts and the USA.

Ok i homed in on the digital climate controls, folding mirrors and one piece headlights as they are major jdm parts that I assumed caught the OP's attention and want to know more about or interested in acquiring.

My point is that essentially the overseas specific parts meaning parts that are not LHD interchangeable or not to be locally available in the USA (such as digital climate controls, one piece headlights and power fold mirrors etc) where imported and just used in the the USA assembly plants (rather than made in the USA) then shipped back overseas.

This makes sense as the wagon and coupe are low volume export units (sedans being more numerous). Making non RHD interchangeable and market specific parts made in the USA are too expensive to make hence why I stated those particular parts are stamped "made in japan" for these overseas specific parts not available in the USDM. This then directly links and answers your query below.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I wonder if the point of manufacture/assembly had anything to do with the use of glass headlights on coupes and wagons. That's an interesting point! The lights are still different from the USDM units, being nipple-less, and aimed the other way on the RHD vehicles. They'd still have to have special market-specific lights for use on the cars to be exported. I always assumed it was just an aesthetic choice (and it may still be), but now I wonder if it had something to do with the assembly process, or maybe even the shipping process.
                      The wagon nipple-less lights I believe to be made in the USA as they are also used for LHD overseas countries. In the case of RHD countries those headlights are not made in the USA and would be fitted with imported headlights from japan and would bear the "made in japan" stampings.

Unlike Lindiz I have experienced seeing a right hand drive Wagon personally up close in Australia in the JY unfortunately with me having no money to buy the whole car (good or bad thing as I am a Honda JDM hoarder Lol). It had digital climate controls, fogs and power fold mirrors. This was a real JDM vehicle personally imported in Australia - vehicle not even intended for AUDM.

I can confirm the car was made in the USA, the dash board is made in the USA with USA stamping on the corner, the bumper is also made in the USA (at least the metal bumper support), it had eagle badges on them. It had glass headlights with clear park lights and amber side markers in the fender like the JDM sedans.

However I can confirm the digital climate controls, power fold mirrors and headlights are made in japan bearing the "made in japan" stampings.

I actually retained all the front bumper, climate controls, eagle badges and fogs.

Hope this clears things a little bit.
                      Last edited by JDMDriver; 03-04-2014, 07:58 AM.
                      Rides:

Accord
                      92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                      88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                      95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                      91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

1 piece headlights never existed on anything but RHD jdm sedans. If you find a LHD sedan or coupe/wagon in japan they all have 2 piece headlights

Also non North American 2 piece headlights are different than the rest of the world. They use the same bulbs as the 1 piece headlights ( h4h and h1 ) where as we use 9006 and 9005. The reflector housings and mounting is different as well. Usdm headlights mount floating on a bracket, to adjust the headlight the whole headlight moves. That's why they have nipples to mount the alignment tool. The rest of the world headlights the individual reflector bowls moved instead of the whole headlight. Because of this the headlight bracket was molded to the whole thing since the headlight it self didn't need to move because the bowls did

I'm glad bmw doesn't differ their cars between markets by much.

Comment

Working...
                        X