Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I burned thru my clearcoat sanding out that heavy white oxidation. What next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I burned thru my clearcoat sanding out that heavy white oxidation. What next?

So trying to get out as much of that white oxidation i burned thru my clear coat. I am assuming that is oxidation and it brings up my car paint to surface as it oxidizes. Right? I dont really care cause it looks better than all that heavy white haze. Just little spots here and there i burned thru to metal it seems. I am wondering how much a good paint job is for these cars same exact color as before. I still have to get a hod and fender.
    I was wet sanding with 1000 grit as 1500 and takes way too long. IS a heavy rubbing compound with a da polisher better to use to try to remove all that heavy white oxidation. I got a da polisher a few days ago. I guess now i am going to have to touch up paint those bare areas before it rusts. Also i am wondering how did i just go thru clear to metal. Is heavy white oxidation really my paint that o2 has brought to top of clear or something. SO it was either leave the white haze(oxidation right) or go to metal. Was there no way to remove that heavy white stuff i mean. Still looks better though. Just i want a new paint job now. And not one of those cheap maaco jobs.

For what it's worth, I had the Maaco in Fort Collins (long since closed) paint the ITR high wing on my RSX six or so years ago and it still looks just as good as it did the day they gave it back to me. The front edge of it does get dirt and crap hurled at it as it cuts through the air, too. Maaco's paint jobs really depend on the individual painter. I'd try one of the two that are still open in Denver. You could just have your hood or front bumper done and see how it holds up to things like driving behind other cars on dirty roads or on the freeway for a month or something like that. If it cleans up without much damage to the front end, that should at least be an indicator of their clear coat's toughness and you can then decide whether to have them do the rest of the car. Anywhere else seems to want stupid amounts of money for paint these days. Everywhere in the Greeley/Collins/Loveland area was quoting me about $600 just to have my RSX's hood painted. Including a place called "Affordable Auto Body." All it would have needed was a little bit of filler work, but even then I told the guy the job needed no special treatment since I didn't care much about the hood itself. At about that price, I can buy a new carbon fiber hood of the same brand with a brand new clear coat, so no thanks. I tried Abra once and was told they only do collision repair jobs; they're too busy to take on normal resprays.

As for your "oxidation," is it that flaky yellow-white stuff that comes off when you rub your hands across it? Because that's the clear coat itself being lifted off the paint just from exposure to the sun. If you're careful enough taking all that off and the color underneath isn't damaged too much, you can try re-clearing it to see if it brings the vibrance back out. Otherwise it's down to metal/primer and building back up from there.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post

As for your "oxidation," is it that flaky yellow-white stuff that comes off when you rub your hands across it? Because that's the clear coat itself being lifted off the paint just from exposure to the sun. If you're careful enough taking all that off and the color underneath isn't damaged too much, you can try re-clearing it to see if it brings the vibrance back out. Otherwise it's down to metal/primer and building back up from there.
      So if it is oxidized too bad it will just go down to bare metal. Makes me feel better even though i burnt an edge that had no oxidation(grrr). Am going to try a heavy cut compound and hopefully i wont go down to bare metal anymore.

I am not looking right now to get it painted. Maybe early next year. The hood i am replacing along with fender hopefully soon.I only need drivers side door, drivers rear fender, roof,rear bumper and trunk lid painted. The passengers side is in really good shape. These are small cars i thought a good paint job for whole car including door jams would be 2k or less. So less than half the car would need painting. I really like this arcadia green so i think i would stick with that. I was hoping for 1k price when i do it. I will have to start checking at body shops and get an ideal i think. Thanks.

Comment

I once took my RSX to Ozzie's in Loveland for a respray quote. For the same color, to repair some bad paint/clear on the driver's side, plus some dings and tiny rust spots, they wanted $6k to do about 3/4 of the car. They do a lot of insurance work, though, so maybe that's why they charge so much for personal jobs? I know a decent chunk of that was from buying new OEM parts (things like replacing old weather stripping, and the headlights at the time had broken tabs) that I could have found myself for cheaper online.
        Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-02-2019, 09:56 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
          I once took my RSX to Ozzie's in Loveland for a respray quote. For the same color, to repair some bad paint/clear on the driver's side, plus some dings and tiny rust spots, they wanted $6k to do about 3/4 of the car. They do a lot of insurance work, though, so maybe that's why they charge so much for personal jobs? I know a decent chunk of that was from buying new OEM parts (things like replacing old weather stripping, and the headlights at the time had broken tabs) that I could have found myself for cheaper online.
          Wow, for that price i would do it myself.

Comment

I paid about $2200 for same color on entire car (see Rescuing Ruby thread). This included four total butt welds where I had replaced the quarters, removal of filler and repair of one of the quarter skins where it had been creased, sanding to bare metal on most of the body, repair of all dings, etc., then factory color and clear. I did all disassembly and reassembly.

A rough quote for them to have done all the disassembly, repair/replacement of quarter panels, paint, and reassembly was $7500.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
              I paid about $2200 for same color on entire car (see Rescuing Ruby thread). This included four total butt welds where I had replaced the quarters, removal of filler and repair of one of the quarter skins where it had been creased, sanding to bare metal on most of the body, repair of all dings, etc., then factory color and clear. I did all disassembly and reassembly.

A rough quote for them to have done all the disassembly, repair/replacement of quarter panels, paint, and reassembly was $7500.
              i thought ruby was wrecked. I can only wish my car looked as good as ruby. That oem quality u have there makes me jealous.I am getting there there. Was the 2200 u bringing piece by piece for them to paint. I really have no rust on my car. I know amazing as it is. The small bits of rust are from where the paint cracked from this and that. I don't think i need a disassemble high quality job for it to be high quality. I hope i am making sense. I really just need roof, pillars
              Last edited by zedjr10; 07-05-2019, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Just saw this. I took them the car with all the sheet metal on it and new bumper covers. I had removed all chrome trim, headlights, grille, corner lights, tail lights, antenna, rocker panel covers, side protectors). They removed the hood and trunk to paint them separate from painting the remaining parts of the body as a whole (roof, doors, fenders, quarters). Also removed the door handles
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                X