Are these valves burned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these valves burned?

there out of a b16 head and oil was coming out of that corner or the head its the exhaust side on the number 4 cylinder.

STANCE|WORKS

They don't look to be burned. They just look covered in oil and carbon build up. Clean them off and see if you notice any pitting or irregularities in the circumference.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Looks to be just carbon build up. Can you scrape it off? As long as the valve itself is in tact, you're fine.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Thanks guys thats the answer I was looking for. Ill try and clean this up before I go buy another set.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

heres one cleaned up

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

Originally posted by TracieS View Post
            heres one cleaned up

looks good! Burnt valves, in my experience, look like there's a hole melted in the edge. When that happens you loose a lot of compression in that cylinder and your car runs like poo.

What did you use to clean them?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

So I lapped the valves and this is what I got

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

What is lapping? The edges look more crispy.
                **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
                  What is lapping? The edges look more crispy.
                  http://www.v6z24.com/howto/valvelapping and http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...lap-valve.html

Valve lapping is basically recreating a perfect matching contour between the valve seat on the cylinder head and the valve itself. This allows for better compression due to a better seal; less/no "valve blowby."

Comment

Thanks^

I was lookin at the pics. After clean up I seen knotches and scratches.. now the edges r smooth lookin. Is that the lapping?
                    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by TracieS View Post
                      So I lapped the valves and this is what I got
                      To me, contacting surface look too wide and there's no margin at the edge. I would consider consider head work if it was my engine.

Or, just take the head to the engine builder and ask for advise.
                      Last edited by oyajicool; 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM.
                      A&P-IA

Comment

Did you use a sawsall blade to clean away the carbon?

Im a little worried about all the scratch marks. Hopefully they dont extend high enough up the stem to contact the valve guide. If they did, the guide could wear much faster. Also the scratches give future carbon a better place to cling onto.

In the future, using a chemical solvent soak, or a gentle wire brush is the best way to remove carbon. Much safer to the valve.
                        ON_N20
                        Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

Actually, he's right. The picture was somewhat unfocused and I couldn't really tell before. You may want to sand and polish the stems on these to remove those grooves.
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                            To me, contacting surface look too wide and there's no margin at the edge. I would consider consider head work if it was my engine.

Or, just take the head to the engine builder and ask for advise.

Originally posted by ON_N20 View Post
                            Did you use a sawsall blade to clean away the carbon?

Im a little worried about all the scratch marks. Hopefully they dont extend high enough up the stem to contact the valve guide. If they did, the guide could wear much faster. Also the scratches give future carbon a better place to cling onto.

In the future, using a chemical solvent soak, or a gentle wire brush is the best way to remove carbon. Much safer to the valve.
                            Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                            Actually, he's right. The picture was somewhat unfocused and I couldn't really tell before. You may want to sand and polish the stems on these to remove those grooves.
                            I did the work for a friend if it was my motor I would've upgraded everything.
                            Yea and the cleaning was spur the moment souldve soaked them like you said.
                            And everything turned out ok car has been running smoke and oil leak free for about a week now. And that cylinder had 180 compresion and the others were around 190.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

Working...
                            X