SUSP: 92 cb9 strut assembly install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: 92 cb9 strut assembly install

Okay so here it is. I did a full set of strut assembly's on my wagon today and I thought I would share how to do it.
    Please do this at your own risk I am not responsible for your possible injuries or damage to secondary components.

Tools that you will need
    12mm combination wrench
    14mm combination wrench
    17mm combination wrench
    17mm socket ( I used a 1/2" drive but a 3/8" drive should be fine)
    1/2" or 3/8" ratchet
    14mm socket (3/8 drive)
    3/8" ratchet
    Good hammer
    Tire iron or 4 way ( I used a 4 way)
    Jack and jack stand ( I just used 1 stand for safety)

Sorry no pics but once you start you will see pics are not really needed.

Step 1: Open the hood

Step 2: jack the car up and place the stand and remove the tire and lower the car onto the stand.

Step 3: now get the 12mm combination wrench and unbolt the brake line brackets

Step 4: get the 14mm socket and ratchet and at the base of the strut on the engine side is a 14mm bolt that holds the bottom of the strut to the strut fork loosen and remove

Step 5: get the 14mm combination wrench and the ratchet and loosen the sway bar end links ( do not remove the end link)

Step 6: get the 17mm combination wrench and socket and ratchet and unbolt the strut fork from the knuckle now get the hammer and tap the bolt out of the bushing.

Step 7: now add your weight to the suspension and press down and remove the strut from the strut fork

Step 8: get the 14mm socket and ratchet and unbolt the 3 bolts under the hood on the strut tower.

Step 9: install the new strut assembly the reverse of removal and repeat for the other front side.

Now for the rears which were easier (only because there was less to unbolt)

Step 1: jack the car up and place the stand and lower the car on the stand and remove the tire

Step 2: get the 17mm socket and ratchet and unbolt the lower strut bolt from the knuckle and remove the bolt

Step 2: open the rear door and fold down the rear seat and remove the carpeted panel and unbolt the 2 14mm bolts with the 14mm socket and ratchet

Step 3: add your weight to the suspension and press down and carefully remove the strut

Step 4: install the new assembly reverse of removal and repeat for the other rear side

This job took me about 2 and a half hours on my own and i have a bruise on my chest and a sore back so please do be careful and this can be followed for coupes and sedans just look in the trunk but i think the rear seats fold down on coupes and sedans as well.

Do it yourself and save some money.
    I hope this helps everyone out a bit again sorry no pics
Working...
X