SUSP: Rear Lower Strut Mount Bushing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: Rear Lower Strut Mount Bushing removal

alright, while doing my suspension on my cb7s, the same thing happened to both. the lower bolt that holds the rear shocks to the knuckles was totally seized into its bushing sleeve, so removing the bolt will either completely tear up the rubber (which happened my first time) or itll break the bolt (happened my second time) - which would force you to replace the bushing and bolt. and you all wondered why only the front of my car had been lowered

so this time, with the bolt breaking, i had to go thru the pain of replacing the bushing. and if youve run into this im sure you know that its not fun, some people remove the whole knuckle and bring it to a shop to get a new bushing pressed in, others replace the whole knuckle... others do it by hand:

heres the setup, the hole on the right is after i already removed all remains of the strut and bolt and inside of the bushing, you can see the rest of the rubber still stuck to the sides. the thin ring around the edge of the hole is the outer sleeve of the bushing, this is the part that needs to be removed. the new bushing is on the left, i got one from Napa for $12... its called a "rear lower strut mount."

here are the part numbers that ive found:
    Autozone: 142150
    Advance Auto: SM5051
    Napa: K9443

if youre looking to upgrade to a harder/urethane bushing, theres two options that i know of:
    - see page 2 of this thread for lucid's method
    - Hardrace.com sells hardened rubber ones listed for 94-97 accord (see this thread)

the "stock" replacement bushing i got from napa:

step one: drill a bunch of holes thru the rubber to make it not as stiff, then twist it till it is totally loose... then rip the rubber out. i guess you can do this anyway you want, but thats how i did it. i have no pic of this, its self explanitory- "remove the rubber."

step two: drill a hole between the sleeve and the knuckle by sitting the drill bit in the thin gap around the outside. i first drilled it with a 3/32, then ended up enlarging it with a 5/32 (why the heck not, right?) doing this ended up cutting most of the sleeve, creating a relatively wide gap in the ring... and gives a good spot to chisel from.

step three: get a nice new sharp chisel, and put one corner of it in the hole, with the blade of it directly into the corner, between the bushing sleeve and the knuckle. hammer away!! i actually didnt use a sledgehammer or anything, just a normal hammer, it worked fine.

step four: youll notice the chisel starting to dent in the ring - if you get it shaped like this (arrow pointing to where the chisel went in) it relieves almost all tension from the sides of the bushing... so as youre chiseling for step two, youll probably accidentally knock the bushing out.

TADAA!!! its out!! pretty effortlessly too, i might add. only had to drill a hole!

step five: i used a file and made sure no burrs or anything were sticking out in the way of the path of the new bushing (i beat up the edges while trying to get that thing out), greased the outside of the bushing, and the inside of the knuckle hole... lined it up... and it tapped straight in. i guess i probably should have used some antiseize as a lubricant instead of grease... but oh well, the grease probably shouldnt go anywhere. i used some versachem 888 mega copper high temp silicone crap to plug up the hole so it doesnt corrode, and it looks good as new!
    Last edited by JoshM; 10-16-2010, 04:07 PM. Reason: m1xe

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Eh...iono if i'd drill a lil part of that out. But yea keep us up to date on how u get the bushing back in.
    91 4DR Accord LX White Auto
    Generic Mugen Lip
    Generic Intake
    EX 4-2-1 Header
    Dynomax Muffler
    Skunk2 Coilovers 560lb/in and Koni Yellows
    ST Rear Sway Bar
    17" Eagle Alloys/Kumho 711's

Comment

Originally posted by d21x
      Eh...iono if i'd drill a lil part of that out. But yea keep us up to date on how u get the bushing back in.
      bushing went in with no problem, just a bit of grease. i updated the end of the DIY.

and about drilling a part of the knuckle out, if you think about it, only like 1/20th of the new bushing isnt touching the knuckle because of the gap... only thing i could see going wrong is that gap weakening the knuckle, but its really pretty minute. theres quite a bit of knuckle left to hold, you know? i guess as with all DIY guides go, take this as you will, and youre responsible for anyting that happens to your car if you follow the guide...

Current cars:

Comment

dead pix ...
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
          dead pix ...
          fixed. sorry!

Current cars:

Comment

thanks, Mike!
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

hey can u fix the pics for this mang...im going to do this soon
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                hey can u fix the pics for this mang...im going to do this soon
                done

Current cars:

Comment

dayam good DIY! i can see how the rubber can deteriorate and fail. i guess you got it worse over there mike since you have snow and salt on the road for a season. this should help people if they aren't too lazy or ignorant .
                  1cor10:31
                  - 92 LX coupe
                  - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

thanks mikei, so its called the rear lower strut mount? what about the fronts on the lower control arm where the fork connects to the shock system?
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I had to do this to only one side thank God!! It was such a major pain in the ass. Instead I removed the whole knuckle assembly and brought it in to the shop to get a new bushing pressed in. I was thinking about doing it how you did it (rather easy way), but after talking to a mechanic, I didn't want to risk any future problems. Was it easy to tap in? Do you think it will stay in place? If I ever encounter another ceased up bolt, I might try it this way. I wouldn't drill though, I would just cut away the ring and remove it...

Comment

i did this 8 months ago and i havent had even the slightest bit of problem with it yet. i beat and hacked at it for a couple hours until i just got pissed and ran a drill through it, and the new one was put in within 5 minutes tops. when greased, the new one slides in without any effort.

Current cars:

Comment

this diy rules. i think i might attempt this instead of sending it to a shop cause my bolt got snapped the other day.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~1991 ExR alb F22a6~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

a

that is EXACLTY what ihappened to me. and EXACLTY wut i did to fix the prob!!! WORKS JUST FINE!

Comment

Is it not possible to hammer the bushing out? What about something like

or

or anything else on this page to get that little bugger. http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...meters=Pullers

Comment

Working...
                              X