This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Bulb Conversion

For all those interested in converting from standard filament bulbs to LED bulbs, here's a little info/DIY that might help.

Quick LED facts:
    -They illuminate 20% faster than normal filament bulbs. May not seem like much, but at 50+MPH, that could the difference between stopping and wrecking.
    -They last longer. Up to 10 years or 10,000 hours.
    -They use/require less power.

Bulbs replaced:
    -All 4 rear tail/brake light bulbs - RED
    -Both rear turn signal bulbs - AMBER
    -All 4 front corner bulbs - AMBER
    -Both rear license plate bulbs - WHITE
    -Both front bumper signal bulbs - AMBER / WHITE

REARS
    I bought my bulbs from my local AutoZone:
    "Jam Strait" Red 1157 LED $17/pair x 2 = $34 - REARS

"Jam Strait" Amber 194 LED $11/pair x 2 = $22 - CORNERS

MY rears:

C91BLX7 bought his bulbs online from Ebay:
    Red 1157 "20LED" bulbs $16/pair x 2 = $32

Amber 1156 "18LED" bulbs $13(shipped) for two bulbs:

White 194 LED bulbs $6 for two bulbs:

My bulbs were the forward facing "cone-type" bulbs.
    C91's were the 360° angle.

EQUALIZERS:
    Now, with my LED corner bulbs in, i had no problems with hyperblinking. However, when C91 put the LEDs in the rear signals, they hyperblinked, so, he had to put in Load Equalizers. You'll need an equalizer for each bulb.

He got the equalizers at AutoZone for $12.99/pair.

Equalizer in place:

--We discovered that the EQ generates a bit of heat. In the above picture, the EQ is too close to the wires. In the pic below the EQ has been placed differently, further away from all the wires. The wires leading from the EQ have just been taped to the body of the EQ.--

BROWN BOX "BYPASS":
    Now onto the next hurdle. The LED bulbs will cause the "Brake Lamp" light on the dash to come on. There's a simple fix for this as well.
    Originally posted by cp[mike]
    permanently bypass the BRAKE failure indicator?

it all starts at the brown box in the driver side outer tail light..

cut the white/green wire (or just remove the pin) that went to the brown box, and connect it to Ground(-). you can tap into the other solid black wires that go along with the tail light wiring on that side.
    CORNERS:
    Now, for the front corner bulbs, the old were simply removed, and the new were put in place. As mentioned above, they did not hyperblink.

The license plate bulbs were the same. Just remove the old and insert the new.

BUMPER LIGHTS:
    Amber(or white) 1156 LED (x2)

An 1156 bulb should fit just fine and thus, do the trick. This conversion will also require the use of an equalizer on each bulb. Again, you can use the exact same equalizers as used on the rear signals, which you can find at AutoZone for $12.99, for two.

We'll get pics up as they arrive.

This is a matter of removing the front bumper lens and wiring in the equalizer. Remove the light, remove the lens from the socket, wire in your equalizer, put in your new 1156 LED bulb and re-install.

Now for some vids and pics:

C91's LED test(w/o turn signal equalizer):

C91's LED test(after equalizer):

Full Rear-End LED Conversion:

Running lights only(no brakes):

Brakes on:

Thanks to myself(MikeW), C91BLX7 and cp[mike] for all pics and info.
    Last edited by MikeW; 08-02-2010, 09:33 AM.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Good write up

Also the directions on how to install the Load EQ is on the pakage so we figured no need to type it out
    wat?

Comment

Indeed.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Very nice guys.
        I may do this when evere I have an extra $50 laying around.

Looks good!
        Nice and BRIGHT!

1999 BMW M3
        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

I ultimately plan on making every light LED. cp[mike] style!

I think my next ones will be the bumper lights and license plate bulbs.

Comment

this thread gets my seal of approval :P

for those searching for places other than ebay, here are two websites that have a LOAD of automotive and other DIY type LED bulbs and illuminators:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
            http://www.autolumination.com/

p.s. the hazard button will always make the turn signals flash properly (slowly), even if they are LED, so thats not a valid test - gotta actually use the directionals

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Sticky. Sweet!

Thanks for adding those sites, mike. It was like 2am by the time we got this done.

I had thought about adding that tidbit about the Hazards, but...It also does that even if you're missing a bulb somewhere.

Jamstrait.com has a nice little list and while you cant buy them from that site, they list places and link sites that do sell their products.

Comment

Next on the list is front bumper lights and maybe even the 3rd brake light. Not sure if its worth the trouble, but might as well.

We know the bumper lights can accommodate an 1156 bulb but will also need an equalizer.

This is a matter of just getting the light off and wiring up the EQ. We haven't don't fitment test with the bulbs yet, but i don't foresee there being too much trouble with it.

As for the 3rd brake light, i forget, but thats a funny bulb. Drew seems to think we can use and fit an 1156 LED bulb in there, so again, we'll see.

Ill go ahead and edit the above list and we'll add pics as they come in.

Comment

Yeah I figured its under 100 bucks for all the exterior lights. Throw in a HID kit and you basically got a luxury vehicle
                  wat?

Comment

wow............so bright......
                    I have so many brake lights already.......

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

hey are there any for the backups? thats all i really need haha the tint makes it hard to see at night..

also i was wondering is there a led bulb i could use to make my front bumper lights turn on with the corners and still be blinkers too??

8 Accords so far:
                      '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
                      '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
                      (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Originally posted by F22Cb7Rid3r View Post
                        hey are there any for the backups?
                        i was just about to ask did you guys not do a reverse light led conversion?

everything looks great. i might have to do this
                        Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
                        Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
                        JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Hey Mike--cp[mike]--any chance on a title change? Like adding "EXT:" ...?

Anywho, I guess we overlooked the reverse lights, lol. Those, I believe, are 1156 as well. Not sure if theyd be bright enough to shine through your tint. Will add though. Thanks!

As for the bumper lights coming on with the headlights, kinda like Intagras, that requires a STDP or SPDT(???) switch or relay. Someone did a write up on it a LONG time ago. If cp[mike] rolls through here and sees it, he might be able to point you in the right direction or at least shine some light on it.

Slick, bulbs are different, but you can even do this for your CG...

I think you might even be lucky enough, that they make Full-LED tail lights for them 6Gs.

Comment

The only LED's you would want to put in the reverse so you still could see at night would be a Luxeon, and those are pretty expencive, like 25 bucks a bulb.

Most cars out today with LED tails still use incandescent bulbs for reverse.

Also I stuck my rear turn in the front to see how it looked. I would say for the bumper lights you would want to steer away from getting 360° and get forward faceing. Well atleast for 9091 or 9293 SIRT Bumper lights since they have a internal diffuser.
                            Last edited by C91BLX7; 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM.
                            wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                              The only LED's you would want to put in the reverse so you still could see at night would be a Flux, and those are pretty expensive, like 25 bucks a bulb.

Most cars out today with LED tails still use incandescent bulbs for reverse.

Also I stuck my rear turn in the front to see how it looked. I would say for the bumper lights you would want to steer away from getting 360° and get forward facing. Well at least for 9091 or 9293 SIRT Bumper lights since they have an internal diffuser.
                              Fixed.

So you don't think standard 1156 LEDs would work as reverse bulbs...?

I don't see why not, but we'll have to test it and find out.

I figured the forward-facing bulbs would be the best bet for the front bumpers. And i don't think too many ppl have the SIR bumper light, lol, but i could be wrong.

I need to pick up some 194s. I really don't wanna get them online, but i don't think i have a choice.

I noticed that the light was out on the vacuum in my house, so i got at it and turns out it was a wedge type bulb. Put in one of my back-up ambers and made it look mAd jDm y0!!11

Comment

Working...
                              X