No announcement yet.

ENG: DIY Solid Polyurethane Engine Mounts- Performance & Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some 1/4" bushings with a hole in the middle...

QUESTION:

Could I put about 1/4" of this windo-weld stuff in a plastic cup, then wait till it hardens, take it out, and drill a hole in the middle?
    How strong would these bushings be?

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
      I need some 1/4" bushings with a hole in the middle...

QUESTION:

Could I put about 1/4" of this windo-weld stuff in a plastic cup, then wait till it hardens, take it out, and drill a hole in the middle?
      How strong would these bushings be?
      not very strong. What are you going to use the bushings for.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
        not very strong. What are you going to use the bushings for.
        well I have aftermarket mounts in my Civic that I filled with McMaster 94A stuff but it is brutal. I want to basically drill out the McMaster stuff and try windo-weld. But I also want to make ~1/4" bushings and put them inbetween the mount and the mount bracket to minimize vibrations (I kinda did a bad job filling the mounts and now have metal part of the mount touching the metal bracket and I think that is cauzing a lot of vibration).

Comment

It's hard to say without seeing the application. You're going to end up having to do most of the technical masterminding yourself.
          If you've already used the technique successfully with the harder urethane, and the stiffness was the only issue, you'd probably be fine.
          If you've got a bolt going thru the hole in the center of the bushing, I would suggest inserting a metal sleeve for reliability reasons.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
          After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
          Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
          PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
            It's hard to say without seeing the application. You're going to end up having to do most of the technical masterminding yourself.
            If you've already used the technique successfully with the harder urethane, and the stiffness was the only issue, you'd probably be fine.
            If you've got a bolt going thru the hole in the center of the bushing, I would suggest inserting a metal sleeve for reliability reasons.
            Thanks, I am going to try doing this and I will have metal sleeves going through it. Hopefully it works and makes my car vibrate less, it is soo much cheaper than buying new mounts.

Comment

Im planing on doin this soon , but were can I find the 3M Polyurethane at ? nicee DIY by the way

MY H22 SEDAN

Comment

I purchased my 3M Window-Weld at Autozone.
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

man i have been looking for this D.I.Y. for a while already and finally came across it. thanks for the write it was great BTW. ima get this down soon before winter comes.

MOVING TO BACK FLORIDA IN 2 WEEKS. CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK OVER THERE.

Comment

I just looked at my engine mounts today after seeing this DIY and guess what? They're shot.

I'm definitely gonna do this DIY when I get the chance. Great write up man! The visual aids are awesome.
                    Last edited by Mike1357; 11-04-2009, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I tried both of these. I prefer the window weld over the poly. The poly was too stiff and cause a vibration thru out the body. If your gonna do the window weld, get a set of new mounts or if you have a used set in decent condition use those. It took a week for the window weld to harden properly, but no vibration.

Comment

I fuck with this.

What is the easiest way to get the rear mount out? I did it about 5 years ago (wow!) and only removed the TB.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I've done my front and rear mount and have not felt a difference with vib
                          ACCORDEX92
                          CHICAGO,IL

H22A ACCORD

Comment

Just done this to 3 out of 4 of my mounts. The rear will be done one day this week.

Im not really too worried about vibrations, i just want all the traction i can get with my gimp ass H23 tranny. Plus a couple of my mounts were busted.

-Jordan

I ♥/Miss My Coupe

Comment

Just filled my mounts today..

and maybe its because its chilly outside but this shit broke my best caulk gun =) it is some really nasty goey shit but it looks like itll work good.. just did the 2 broken mounts i had...

Click it.... You know you wanna
                              Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

does it really matter if i use the old front mount i have? the rubber is cracked sum but not all the way through..

93 cb7 ex coupe
                                Granada Black Metallic

Comment

Working...
                                X