The C8 Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks ugly? Like they took the front from a lambo and the rear from a miata and installed spoilers and honda grills?
    To me, its seems a little too high off the ground, like it's pulling up its metaphorical skirt in order to avoid getting muddy while walking/running through a mud puddle.

I think this impression mostly comes from the lowest lines on the front and rear sloping inward like a wedge.

If it were another inch higher, I could see rally mud flaps on a rally spec C8.

Now, here is an artist's rendering of a potential Z06 variant:

All the height issues I have are now solved! The front diffuser looks great!
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

The cost seems reasonable at a base price for the stingray being shy of $60,000.

Owning a C4 for a short time myself I came to appreciate the Corvette. Not being my type nor my desire to own I find myself appreciating the C8 as well and the drastic design change also.

Comment

I’ve never been much of a corvette fan (well, perhaps when I was 6, and every sporty car was a “corvette” to me...)
        However, my friend bought a C5, and I’ve grown to appreciate them more. I wouldn’t mind owning one of each generation, for various reasons. I probably never will, but I do like how capable and accessible the C4 and C5 are. They’re cheap enough to be toys/projects, and their performance potential is fantastic. If only their interiors weren’t so awful!

Also, think of it this way: in 5 years, you’ll be able to get a potent MR corvette for less than an old NSX!

Comment

Meh,

All fast cars look the same to me these days. Is it a Corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, NSX, McLaren? (shrugs)

I get that physics, aerodynamics and pedestrian crash heights are setting the design criteria for these cars, but they're all looking SO cookie cutter to me.

The only thing about these that interest me is the price point, simply because I'll actually see them running around most likely.

To the point of the earlier posts about getting into the ECU or not, my bigger concern is proprietary parts failing. The ABS computer on the C5 is a common failure point. The 97-00 cars are non-repairable when they fail due to design. GM will not release how to create a copy and the electronics are no longer available. Thus the only available parts are used units which are prone to the same failures. I'm sure mine will eventually fail.

The worst thing about Corvettes are the owners. I'm sure as time wears on the owner base will change, but they are insufferable. Making the C8 that much more competitive will simply make it worse.

Comment

I wonder if the stereotypical owner will change with this new car. The traditional white new balance and jorts wearing blue collar fella nearing retirement isn’t generally the target buyer for a MR “exotic style” car. Of course, a mainstream MR car under $100,000 that has more than 6 cylinders is fairly new territory.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Also, think of it this way: in 5 years, you’ll be able to get a potent MR corvette for less than an old NSX!
              That's messed up. It's for this reason that I've been keeping an eye on 987.2 Cayman prices. Can't afford my dream early-'90s Honda anymore, so instead I'll have to get a late-naughties/early-teens Porsche.
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-23-2019, 08:41 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                That's messed up. It's for this reason that I've been keeping an eye on 987.2 Cayman prices. Can't afford my dream early-'90s Honda anymore, so instead I'll have to get a late-naughties/early-teens Porsche.
                The beauty is if you hold onto it long enough, the market will always rise and you'll end up at minimum breaking even. I've been watching 914 prices jump up and even 944 prices start to rise. I'm curious when the 924 starts to go.

Comment

Meh. They were saying that about the R35, too. "Untunable." It's just a computer, it can be hacked.
                  I'm not saying untunable. I'm talking big bucks. And that comes from the owner of Church Automotive whose entire business is based primarily on dealing with OEM level tuning work, professional race teams, aftermarket tuning companies, etc.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Once they've cracked it, though, they're still charging customers that much for tuning software/ECU? I would have thought the demand was great enough, especially among Corvettes, that charging a more reasonable price would be enough to make up for that initial work of getting into the system.
                    Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-24-2019, 04:16 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

My $0.02.

I saw the car review and interview with Tadge Juechter, and I have my and .

I'll explain. First, I understand that a manual transmission can't compete with a computer that allows a transmission to shift in xxxx millisecond. I get it. The fact that the C8 will not be manufactured in manual sucks @ss IMO.

"When I asked Corvette lead engineer Tadge Juechter at the reveal of the 2020 Corvette on Thursday if there is any chance the manual will come back, he replied simply: “No.”"

Source: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...dying-business

I also know that the design of the previous generations was holding performance back. I've grown used to the styling of the Vette over the last umpteen years, and I still love the older body styling. This is not to say the C8 will not grow on me, but for now, it's just okay.

Power and performace wise, I understand it's the best ever made. With a newer generation car, I'd always expect that. On paper and performace/track testing, it's confirmed/verified/validated. That's a plus. I'll experience it when I get to drive it myself.

Also, it's even closer to competing with the supercars, although previous models (not the base model) already tackled that problem at 1/3 the price.

As of now, I'm neutral, and should I go out and buy a Vette tomorrow, it'll be a mint condition low mileage C6 ZR1. This is not to say I wouldn't consider a C8 in the near future, but I need to experiment and evaluate.

Aftermarket support is already bananas, and with the younger kids adapting to these new technologies, as Black Rob would say, Whoa!
                      Last edited by Straight Success; 07-25-2019, 12:50 PM.
                      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The truly amazing thing to me is how crazy ALL performance cars have gotten. Even the most accessible performance cars (Mustang GT, for example), are more car than the average owner will ever need. A car like the C8 is going to give the average owner just as much accessible performance as a Ferrari (minus the bragging rights of owning a Ferrari.)
                        Yes, the base model can pull 1.0G on all season tires. How many people will ever even try it?

I would LOVE a cayman.

Comment

Being on Chevy side again i have to chime in because this discussion went down a month or so ago in the Camaro forums;

1. Chevy claims the camaro is not canceled but merely delayed
                          2. The 10 speed transmissions are supposed to handle a ballpark figure of 1000hp with torque numbers north of 800 BUT i heard rumors that some of these new transmissions are going into limp mode already on trucks(some Fords at least).

as far as the manuals being faced out; i have never been such a control freak that i feel i have to shift the car so i "can feel the performance", i owned manual cars and hardly drove them because i could always get a properly build auto to do the work better with less of a hassle, hell i have yet to even try the paddle shifters on my SS and WAY too much of a wuss to even try and launch without tranction control. But this is only my opinion.
                          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Hopefully that’s true for the Camaro! People that don’t agree with the corvette’s engine relocation will flock to it. Or they’ll go to Ford or Dodge.

The lack of manual saddens me, but the majority of previous corvettes sold have been automatic, and the supercars that the C8 is looking to compete with are also auto (or at least lacking a third pedal, which I consider to be “auto”)
                            I like the feeling of involvement with a manual transmission. If an automatic shifts at the wrong time during a race, costing you precious time, there’s nothing you can do. Unless you can reprogram or physically alter the transmission after the fact. Paddles help greatly with the control aspect, when they’re good, but I’m still not a fan. I’d prefer a pure auto to paddles, and a true manual over all!
                            Of course, I’m not the target buyer for the C8.

Comment

According to the Camaro forum and the whinnying the Challenger has replaced the mustang as the highest selling muscle car, I looked at all 3 before I ended up in my Camaro and actually planned on getting a C6 but the need for a lift to actually work on the car was what led me in the direction I went. The Corvette has always lured a certain group and I don't think that will change much since you need money to modify due to "the Corvette tax" on all the parts and labor cost involved with the car. Usually tuners ask to tune the trans on these cars to optimize shift points then once you get into gears and stalls it really gets vicious, on my model they claim a .7 second increase in time with a 3400 stall and even better with gear swaps.
                              [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I feel like the person who designed the front is different than the person who designed the rear. I see this in a lot of cars....

PS - fix that spam bot Deev :P

Comment

Working...
                                X