Possible to install A/C in a base CB7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to install A/C in a base CB7?

So I have an absolute base model CB7 Coupe, Its a Canadian LX which I believe is supposed to be equal to an American DX. No bells and whistles. No power windows, no sunroof, maplights, lumbar support, and NO A/C. Its got cruise control and power steering, but thats about it. I love it anyways and I regret nothing!! Anyways, off topic, So I started to realize that summer will be here soon, and I was wondering if theres some way I can add air conditioning so I dont get roasted. Have any of you guys successfully done it? How difficult would it be? How much did it cost? And out of curiosity, How many of you guys have a CB7 w/o A/C in a hot area? How do you survive?

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Sure you can do it. It'll be easiest to get a donor car if you ask me. You need the compressor, bracket, condenser, lines, drier, evaporator core, hvac controls, expansion valve, and a retrofit kit with new o-rings for the entire system. It's a lot of work, but if you're willing i guess it's worth it.

American DX's had AC I think.

You can always get an ice cooler and put a fan & duct work in it, haha.

Edit: Also, to fill the system without a shops help, you'll need a vacuum pump and gauge set.

Comment

Originally posted by AmTeC View Post
      So I have an absolute base model CB7 Coupe, Its a Canadian LX which I believe is supposed to be equal to an American DX. No bells and whistles. No power windows, no sunroof, maplights, lumbar support, and NO A/C. Its got cruise control and power steering, but thats about it. I love it anyways and I regret nothing!! Anyways, off topic, So I started to realize that summer will be here soon, and I was wondering if theres some way I can add air conditioning so I dont get roasted. Have any of you guys successfully done it? How difficult would it be? How much did it cost? And out of curiosity, How many of you guys have a CB7 w/o A/C in a hot area? How do you survive?
      I can't survive without A/C here in Kansas City, LOL. I think most guys that delete A/C already have a DD that has A/C.
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Hold up guys.... what about....

- HVAC controls
        - Wiring harness that plugs into that
        - Relays, sensors, ELD wiring...

I imagine like JDM mirrors, the connectors have a spot for the wire but the wire is physically not there. This may apply to the HVAC controls, ELD, and all the sensors/relays involved. Even looking at the wiring for the AC comp clutch relay it has 4 wires which go to AC comp clutch, AC control unit, ECU, and Fuse #7 under the dash. And that's just an example. So you'll have to see if the wiring is actually there, i'm guessing it's not.

The other issue as mentioned is you are in Canada. On the east coast they crush any car older than 2000. And if you did find a donar car the components would be rusted to shit. You would have to buy new, assuming none of the parts are available.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
          Sure you can do it. It'll be easiest to get a donor car if you ask me. You need the compressor, bracket, condenser, lines, drier, evaporator core, hvac controls, expansion valve, and a retrofit kit with new o-rings for the entire system. It's a lot of work, but if you're willing i guess it's worth it.

American DX's had AC I think.

You can always get an ice cooler and put a fan & duct work in it, haha.

Edit: Also, to fill the system without a shops help, you'll need a vacuum pump and gauge set.
          I'm actually considering the ice cooler thing. Like for real.

Comment

I had a 92 DX with AC (didn't work, but the parts were there.) I believe it was an option on base models in the US. One that was frequently chosen, it seems. In Canada, it may have been less common.

It's definitely a lot of work to get it all in there, but it can certainly be done. You could probably snag a full setup from a junkyard car. You'd need to convert to modern refrigerant, which can be pricey (and unreliable if done wrong...)

You could also do what I did. Install an H22A engine. With 200hp at your disposal, all you need to do is open a window and hit the gas. Instant AC!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I had a 92 DX with AC (didn't work, but the parts were there.) I believe it was an option on base models in the US. One that was frequently chosen, it seems. In Canada, it may have been less common.

It's definitely a lot of work to get it all in there, but it can certainly be done. You could probably snag a full setup from a junkyard car. You'd need to convert to modern refrigerant, which can be pricey (and unreliable if done wrong...)

You could also do what I did. Install an H22A engine. With 200hp at your disposal, all you need to do is open a window and hit the gas. Instant AC!
              Yeah none of the junkyards near me have any cb7s. I guess I'll have to go with F22Chris's Ice cooler idea lol. I do plan on putting an H engine in someday, when the ol' F22A dies, that'll take years though. A 5spd swap would be nice too but I'm not experienced enough
              Last edited by AmTeC; 04-11-2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

How is converting to R134a expensive?
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

R134a is not compatible with r12. You have to fully flush the system, and it must be done by a licensed professional (huge fines can result, as can injury, if you do it yourself.) in most cases, unless you have connections, expect to pay over $1000 to have it done properly.

Comment

R134a is not compatible with r12. You have to fully flush the system, and it must be done by a licensed professional (huge fines can result, as can injury, if you do it yourself.) in most cases, unless you have connections, expect to pay over $1000 to have it done properly.
                    Hey, anyone with a garage, vacuum pump, and gauges can do it.
                    Injury is possible, if you're dumb. "Properly" is a matter of opinion, there's tons of people that don't take apart and flush their systems and have cold air with no problems. I personally know of a couple of shops in my area that would gladly evacuate the system, put on the r134a fittings, fill the system, and guarantee it for years (without flushing it). $250

I spent under $200 to replace my expansion valve, dryer, all the o-rings I disturbed, all the tools for doing it, r134a, PAG oil, and I got free experience!
                    I didn't do it "Properly", but it's been working great for over a year and a half now. But that's just my experience, if you've got a grand to drop it's always cool to have a shop do it too.
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I did mine recently on the Golf with a pump and a gauge set. Just a matter of holding vacuum, and adding the proper amount of oil/refrigerant to hit the mark depending on the temperature outside. Mine puts out 34* air, and I'm proud of it.

$1000 bucks you say? I'm in the wrong business!

Comment

Take a vacation to southern Ohio; you can take the AC system out of a 93 LX I'm parting out.
                        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I did mine recently on the Golf with a pump and a gauge set. Just a matter of holding vacuum, and adding the proper amount of oil/refrigerant to hit the mark depending on the temperature outside. Mine puts out 34* air, and I'm proud of it.

$1000 bucks you say? I'm in the wrong business!
                          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Going to a certified shop in most areas to have it done properly (fully flushing the system) in a way that is in compliance with the law is expensive. If you want to take shortcuts, or go to shops that take shortcuts, then yes, it's cheaper.

It's like doing rust repair on your rear quarter panels... you can slap some bondo on there and act like the problem is fixed. You can go to a shop that will weld in a thin steel patch panel. Or you could go to a shop that will remove the entire quarter panel, cut out any rust that is underneath the panel, and weld in all new metal in a way that it will not rust out along the welds in a year or two. All three ways get the job done, to some extent. One way is correct... and that way is expensive.

Don't forget, as the owner of this forum, you will NEVER see me advocating illegal things. Therefore, doing an AC conversion in your garage is something I would never suggest you attempt.

Comment

Going to a certified shop in most areas to have it done properly (fully flushing the system) in a way that is in compliance with the law is expensive. If you want to take shortcuts, or go to shops that take shortcuts, then yes, it's cheaper.

It's like doing rust repair on your rear quarter panels... you can slap some bondo on there and act like the problem is fixed. You can go to a shop that will weld in a thin steel patch panel. Or you could go to a shop that will remove the entire quarter panel, cut out any rust that is underneath the panel, and weld in all new metal in a way that it will not rust out along the welds in a year or two. All three ways get the job done, to some extent. One way is correct... and that way is expensive.

Don't forget, as the owner of this forum, you will NEVER see me advocating illegal things. Therefore, doing an AC conversion in your garage is something I would never suggest you attempt.
                              It seems like there's always a couple different ways you can repair or modify something, one way is recommended, but is usually harder, and takes more money. The other way is usually easier and cheaper (at least temporarily). Sometimes I deem it worth a try to do the easy cheap way, and that's the route I went with my rust issues, and my A/C system. So far my rust repair has stayed rust-free so far for at least 5 days, and my A/C's been working for a couple years now.

Same for me, I don't advocate doing anything illegal, and I would never admit to doing anything illegal online, haha.
                              Last edited by GTRON; 04-12-2017, 05:42 PM.
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
                              X