HenRoc: 1992 Accord EX Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
    *Edit: brain-farted there and forgot why I asked the question in the first place... I asked if it's only necessary on the rear, as opposed to needing a linear spring in the front as well.

But me not knowing a whole lot about suspension design, I don't understand why it would matter if the rear itself was progressive or linear, as long as the spring+damper combo overall was rated for the weight. Especially when you consider how many aftermarket options are available for any given car. What kind of use were those recommended specs for, because I'm wanting a smooth ride mixed with performance. I hope my car will see some track use, but I'm not after a hardcore setup. I don't want the car getting unsettled in a curve with a rough surface, since my main playground will be public roads in the mountains. If you don't mind, I'd love to see a review when yours is settle in. GC+Koni yellows were what I was eyeing when I had my sedan but lately, based on reviews on other chassis, I'm looking specifically at KW Variant 2s. They sound well worth the price. People are reporting surprisingly low spring rates, and yet they still handle amazingly while giving a great ride on the street. I guess they put more work into the damping and properly matching it to the spring? Worth checking out...
    I wanted a combo for mainly street and highway cruising..I don't think it'll see a track event anytime soon though. But if you give them a call the rep was pretty knowledgeable on what he recommended. I believe the higher the spring rate the stiffer the suspension would be and they have the springs off the shelf ready for any application.

Also I used Anthony a.k.a apalileo's car as a reference.

His setup is here he's running a higher rate up front and in the rear.

I did look into KWs but considering I still had a lifetime warranty on these I figured I'd give that combination a shot. The last setup I had on my old sedan was the Koni Yellows with Neuspeed Sport (Green) springs which turned out to be waay to soft near the end of it's life.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Thanks for that. It's confusing me that KW's rate would be so low; I'm starting to second guess that... but it's friggin' KW! How could they be like that? haha.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Well..I finally took my TL-S wheels and brought them to work for a test fit.

I just love the way the gunmetal contrasts against the Arcadia green. The Legend wheels will be designated as winter wheels for next season. I only put about 3k miles on the current set of DWS 06s

Right now the current tires on it are 235/45/17s..they clear the fronts but rub in the rear.

So I took a spare 225/45/17 a friend mine had sitting in storage and test fitted it.

Clears the rear spindles perfectly. So I'll be ordering a set of Continental DWS06s in a 225/45/17

And these will be finally getting paired with the GCs I'll be ordering. Hard to believe I've been sitting on them for nearly two years.

Last edited by HenRoc; 07-13-2020, 09:50 AM.
        Henry R
        Koni/Neuspeed
        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,

Comment

So finally after procrastinating for two years, I pulled the trigger on a set of Ground Controls with a spring rate of 440lbs for the front and 380 lbs in the rear.

And ditched these old Bilsteins:

From this:

When it was first completed the rears were too low:

And adjusted the height to this:

Installation wasn't so bad and also as a preventative maintenance I installed brand new lower shock bolts from Honda

FFC top hats were a bit of a struggle to line up at first but once in they came out nice.

Next up is tires for these TL-webs with a 225/45/17 size

Main things to tackle next:

- Timing belt service
          - Rebuild my T2w4 transmission with an Accord 5th gear, I sourced a 4.64 FD locally for a decent price but I read that it wont fit transmissions with a factory LSD.
          - Patch up the rust in the quarters.

I realized in the previous posts I have broken image links so I'm in the process of re-hosting those as well through Flickr.
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          Legend FSM

Comment

What's prompting the wheel switch if you are going that route?
            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Looking good. Let us know how they ride once everything's broken in.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Hit me up if you need info on the F22 5th gear synco fit on the H22 and LSD. I'm running a T2T4 with OEM LSD and the F22 5th gear. I had my own made at first but also have the syncrotech F22 5th gear set. Somewhere in my MRT i break it down. I stole all of it from another member too

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                  Looking good. Let us know how they ride once everything's broken in.
                  So far it handles great. Took it out last weekend to Western Massachusetts on a spirited drive, Hugs corners very well.

Went to check out a 5th gen wagon that has 79k original miles and no rust. Sitting at this small used car dealership for about 3 years. Sad to see it just sit there:

Yes, Florida is also a town here in Massachusetts.

Same night after I got home:

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  Hit me up if you need info on the F22 5th gear synco fit on the H22 and LSD. I'm running a T2T4 with OEM LSD and the F22 5th gear. I had my own made at first but also have the syncrotech F22 5th gear set. Somewhere in my MRT i break it down. I stole all of it from another member too
                  Yeah I was told that it was the MB24 transmission that was the odd one that wouldn't work.

Mileage hit 234k so I ended up replacing the spark plug wires, timing belt and water pump with a free box of parts I got from a guy who does powdercoating for my parts.

New pump left..old pump right. Not a Honda replacement but I couldn't complain since it was free.

Before:

Upgraded to an all aluminum radiator got it on eBay for a great price.

After:

Filled with Honda Type 2 the bay is dirty but I'll clean it up at some point:

Another upgrade was the lighting..newest version of the Morimoto XB35s

Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  Legend FSM

Comment

Forgot to mention that I upgraded my audio system with the downtime I had. It's an Alpine 4 Channel amp that's wired to 3 MB Quartz 6 x 9 rear and 6 1/2 front speakers.

I mounted it to the box on the right side of the hatch using a dibond and mounted the plate where the plastic cover mounts inside the car. I need to redo it but for where it's located its fine. I just cover it up with the cargo cover.

As for wiring it, I used PET loom and covered the RCAs and wires running from the amplifier to the speakers and I made it so I could still keep the stock radio wires instead of cutting them like most people do. Like I said..I had a lot of downtime to just get things the way I wanted.

Scored this Kenwood 5120DNX headunit for $25 at a locayard..just recently died so I'm in the process of researching and finding a better HU with more features as I recently realized it was way out of date by todays standards.

Henry R
                    Koni/Neuspeed
                    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                    Legend FSM

Comment

Also I finally installed the grey headliner I had sitting since winter but I wired the map lights in wrong so they only come on when the doors open up..at some point I'll redo that and the visor lights but I'm not about to tear down the headliner..again. It was such a pain to do it in the first place and with the humidity, it just makes working on the interior just much more tough.

And from my drive a couple of weekends ago, I visited a good friend in NH who gave me
                      Delta 272 cam for free.

I feel bad because his car is on it's last legs. Being that it has been a NE car all it's life things were falling apart or just rotting away. In this case the body has a hole in one of the rear quarters and the brake and fuel lines were well on their way out and the motor was also just done for (replaced two HGs but the block is just warped beyond repair) he barely got it to pass S.I this past year so until he gets something newer it;; serve as his daily.
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      Legend FSM

Comment

Today I upgraded the stock fans to a pair of 80 watt slim fans with an aluminum shroud that a friend found on eBay:

But now the a/c compressor just died on me so that's going to be addressed next.
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        Legend FSM

Comment

Is that a universal shroud and fans, or OEM Honda?
                          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                            Is that a universal shroud and fans, or OEM Honda?
                            Its not an OEM piece but it fits the aluminum radiators for the Accord and Prelude.
                            Henry R
                            Koni/Neuspeed
                            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                            Legend FSM

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                              Also I finally installed the grey headliner I had sitting since winter but I wired the map lights in wrong so they only come on when the doors open up..at some point I'll redo that and the visor lights but I'm not about to tear down the headliner..again. It was such a pain to do it in the first place and with the humidity, it just makes working on the interior just much more tough.

Niice ... I've always wondered about the amount of work in replacing the head-liner.
                              And I dont have the sunroof ...
                              Not that I want to replace mine, but I'd like to do a double LED over-head light upgrade ...
                              + the speakers in the head- liner, etc ...
                              Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 07-08-2020, 02:27 AM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                                Niice ... I've always wondered about the amount of work in replacing the head-liner.
                                And I don't have the sunroof ...
                                Not that I want to replace mine, but I'd like to do a double LED over-head light upgrade ...
                                + the speakers in the head- liner, etc ...
                                It only made sense to do the mod since the headliner was out. Speakers in the roof were upgraded by the previous owner (MtnBikaah). I might redo it if I can find another grey headliner but we'll see if another one pops up. Another guy from the forums just sent me the OEM roof rack that I've been searching for and those should be here in a few days.

Found them on a wagon in TN through car-part.com

Yesterday the a/c completely crapped out, I suspect one of the old suction or discharge hoses sprung a leak because when I jumped the pressure switch terminal to power the a/c compressor, it took the freon but I could hear it rushing out because of the leak.

Ordered a brand new Denso unit and hoses from rockauto.

Good excuse to replace the 235k mile compressor.
                                Henry R
                                Koni/Neuspeed
                                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                                Legend FSM

Comment

Working...
                                X