Engine suddenly making noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine suddenly making noises

Drive the car to work as usual and it ran fine shifting normal no bogging or hesitation.

Then took lunch on my way back there was a weird humming noise coming from the engine, and it sounded like when your powersteering is low on fluid. But the noise reacted to accelerating and not to turning the wheel, I quickly pulled over to investigate the sound, coming form the right side of the engine. Turned off the car, then back on the noise was gone except this time I can hear a totally different noise, or noises tapping and ticking coming from the engine. Car still rides fine and runs perfect, no sudden changes in performance or anything. No over heating or warning lights.

F22A1
    226,***
    5spd
    No mods completely stock.

I was wondering if low oil can cause this? Or thin oil ? I checked the oil level and man I was surprised to find any its really black and thick.

Originally posted by deevergote
    .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

When you say 'right side' is that passenger or driver side?

In regards to oil, the only true way to know its condition is with an oil test, unless it looks like sludge, or milky, etc.

Were you low on oil at all?

I developed wristpin knock by being two quarts low as an example, which is the reason why my car has been parked for almost 4 years, I still start it up, and let it warm completely up several times a year, and take a short drive to keep flat spots on the tires, and of course clean the dust off, and rewax at least twice a year (as it is garage parked).

If you can post a video, and move the camera around the engine slowly so we can help isolate the noise, and provide a better diagnoses.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

x2 on the video, knowing what you are hearing and seeing would help with a noise diagnosis.

In the mean time;

What is your current oil level?

When was the last time you changed your oil?

When was the last time you checked/replaced your accessory belts?

When was the last time you replaced your timing belt and/or checked your valve adjustment?
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
        When you say 'right side' is that passenger or driver side?

In regards to oil, the only true way to know its condition is with an oil test, unless it looks like sludge, or milky, etc.

Were you low on oil at all?

I developed wristpin knock by being two quarts low as an example, which is the reason why my car has been parked for almost 4 years, I still start it up, and let it warm completely up several times a year, and take a short drive to keep flat spots on the tires, and of course clean the dust off, and rewax at least twice a year (as it is garage parked).

If you can post a video, and move the camera around the engine slowly so we can help isolate the noise, and provide a better diagnoses.
        Oil isn't low at all, and just really dark. Noise happened so sudden.

I would post a video, but I think I have an idea of what's wrong.

.......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
          x2 on the video, knowing what you are hearing and seeing would help with a noise diagnosis.

In the mean time;

What is your current oil level?

When was the last time you changed your oil?

When was the last time you checked/replaced your accessory belts?

When was the last time you replaced your timing belt and/or checked your valve adjustment?

Oil level was on the second hole on the dipstick which I'm guessing its normal level.

Oil was done maybe 2-3 months ago.

Belts were replaced two weeks ago since they were squeaking.

Timing belt unknown, valve adjustments unknown.

I just bought the car, three weeks ago...

God knows what the previous owner Did or not, I'm trying to get a hold of him.

Car has 226,*** miles ...

You would think it would be getting a rebuild by now.

But as I told CloudASC,

I believe two things happened to my car...
          Valved dropped...I believe? The ticking is coming from hitting the picton....

Or

Rod bearing went out? And it's knocking ...

Nothing is confirmed until I either rip apart the block or drain the oil and look for metal shavings.

But I just started the car during break and the noise got louder...at cranking you hear a sound that sounds like if you had quarters in a dryer.

I'm gonna go ahead and buy a motor from the junkyard and rebuild it and swap it in, I'm not gonna drive it home ima tow it just for safety reasons I don't want the engine to stall on me while on the freeway.

Thanks a lot guys ...

Comment

Which side of the engine? Driver side or passenger side?

Manual or automatic transmission?

When its making the noise, take a long handled screwdriver, butt of it to your ear and tip on different parts of the engine, which can help you tell if its in the top or bottom end.

If the oil was changed 3 months ago it should still be good, unless you drive mad miles like deev.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
              Which side of the engine? Driver side or passenger side?

Manual or automatic transmission?

When its making the noise, take a long handled screwdriver, butt of it to your ear and tip on different parts of the engine, which can help you tell if its in the top or bottom end.

If the oil was changed 3 months ago it should still be good, unless you drive mad miles like deev.
              Manual transmission .

Umm? When Doing the the screwdriver thing, what am I looking for? Vibration on the ear or noise?

I just got home, and hey I didn't want to pay for towing so sue me I drove it home lol...

The car runs freaking fine? Like nothing is happening noise is still there. You can still hear it on idle and acceleration, obviously you'll hear it lot more when there's a car next to you or so. The noise appears at start up, and I took off the oil cap and notice the engine blowin out air and some oil wondering if this is normal? And the noise got louder its definitely internal.

Comment

For the screwdriver trick its like a stethoscope, it will get really loud from the area the sound is coming from when you find it.

I am still wondering is it passenger side, or driver side the noise is coming from?

Comment

Oh sorry keep skipping that , it's on the drivers side...sound is coming from the bottom of the right side of the engine near where the AC is ...towards the oil pan.

Comment

Working...
                  X