No announcement yet.

af_1132 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, one thing I found about the distributor, well a couple things.

Honda discontinued it, as is par to the course, so I was looking at new ones on Rockauto. The World Power Systems varieties have a heart by both, and I'm assuming that the TD-61U is external coil. I would just use my own coil, correct? I will have to figure out where to mount it.

They have another one that is TD-60U, which is an internal coil dizzy for a JDMH22. I just want to make sure that is ruled out as working before I go the suggested route, since the motor I am getting will certainly be coming with an internal coil that I won't be using.

I know the other option is to go to the junkyard, hopefully find a Honda version on a Prelude with an H22, then replace the cap and rotor, which Honda still has parts for...It's just a gamble around my local yards...
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

The TD-61U is the part number for the distributor that came in the '92-'95 OBD1 USDM Prelude if it had an H23A1 or H22A1. Since you have a '92-'93, your harness is also already set up for an external. This distributor will plug into your OEM engine harness exactly like the distributor that is on your car now. No modifications needed at all.

The TD-61U is the distributor that you would use if you were putting this engine, or any other H22A, into a '90-'91 car that came set up with internal coil from the factory. Sure, there are ways to adapt harnesses over to the opposite variants, but that is unnecessary in this situation and only adding difficulty.

what I should also have you gather from what I said above is that you will need to use your current engine harness on the new engine. the one that comes with that engine is good to keep around for spare connectors, or wiring, but not much outside of that. Using your current harness, as well as the small sub harness I suggested before, is the best way to make this as simple as possible.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Oh ya, and forgot to mention how low the K24 hangs for the oil pan. Plus mount mods, axles, blah blah blah. Probably best to stick with OBD1 and start stock piling parts like a mad scientist. You probably already have parts too.
        I've definitely got tons of parts, a tiny shelf full compared to some on here, but none of them will work on a K20 or K24. Speaking of which, I will need to sell some of my stuff. I will need to sell my built F22 head, try to sell my dizzy and the dizzy on the H23A, try to sell my alternator (I believe it is OE), try to sell the CB half shaft, try to sell the bare block + cradle + main bearings + rod bolts, and try to sell the EM that comes with the H23A.

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          The TD-61U is the part number for the distributor that came in the '92-'95 OBD1 USDM Prelude if it had an H23A1 or H22A1. Since you have a '92-'93, your harness is also already set up for an external. This distributor will plug into your OEM engine harness exactly like the distributor that is on your car now. No modifications needed at all.

The TD-61U is the distributor that you would use if you were putting this engine, or any other H22A, into a '90-'91 car that came set up with internal coil from the factory. Sure, there are ways to adapt harnesses over to the opposite variants, but that is unnecessary in this situation and only adding difficulty.

what I should also have you gather from what I said above is that you will need to use your current engine harness on the new engine. the one that comes with that engine is good to keep around for spare connectors, or wiring, but not much outside of that. Using your current harness, as well as the small sub harness I suggested before, is the best way to make this as simple as possible.
          You meant TD-60U in the second paragraph, right? In that case, I've got everything covered, thank you! I will be setting the partial harness that comes with the H23A aside, getting the TD-61U dizzy, using my coil (figure out where to mount it), using my harness, and just plugging in the VTEC solenoid wiring.

Oh, I will also, at the very least, need to get a baffled oil pan, like this Moroso model. If the girdle has a windage tray already, I'll be content with a baffled pan plus that. I don't think I will need to port the H23's pump.

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Yes, I did mean TD-60U, sorry.

Keep your OEM halfshaft and axles! You'll use all of that stuff. Sell what else you can, but I think you're being overly optimistic that most of that stuff will fly off the shelves. Price it for dirt cheap and hope someone needs it.

Also, you might want to see if Hmotors will help you out with the distributor. I'm sure they have plenty of parts engines to pull from. Same with the PS components. I should have mentioned that and the mount bracket before, but I'm a bit rusty on these things.

If your engine comes with a PS pump and bracket with the hose fitting, you're golden. Once your engine is out, take that new hose fitting to a hose shop with your whole CB hose and they'll swap them for you. $30-40 around here. If it doesn't come with any of that, junkyards are still going to save the day.

For the mount bracket on the timing side, you want part number
            11910-P13-000 which bolts to the block. It's the mount bracket that came on all '92-'96 Preludes with a DOHC engine. This will allow the engine to sit perfectly in the bay with no pitch or skew.

So ask Steve at Hmotors about those things. The distributor, the PS hardware your engine comes with and if he can snag that bracket (11910-P13-000) off of any of his parts engines.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I've been looking into oil pans myself, and from what I've read, a lot of people are saying that the Moroso H22 pan is only good for drag racing. I guess it doesn't have the right baffling for lateral Gs - however, wagon.spec on here says he hasn't experienced oil starvation issues with that pan. I'm still nervous about it, just because he's about the only person I've seen say anything good about the pan. I've been wondering about the JUN pan, and found one site that will ship to the States for about $424 all in... I just have no experience with this site, so I don't know how accurate their online inventory is kept or how their customer service is. That's the one I want to give a shot, and I'm hoping to order one in the next few months and see how that goes.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/jun-baffled-oil-pan-h22a.html

Another thing to consider is the S2000 oil filter (part no. 15400-PCX-004). Sounds like it offers better flow than Honda's universal filter past 8,000rpm, if you're revving that high. The body is larger, but the gasket is the same size, and they do fit other Hondas. @10:58:

Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-24-2019, 11:04 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Moroso actually sells two different pans: one they state is for road race, #20197, and one they say is for drag racing and street, #20912. The road race one I want has trap door baffles and vertical walls that help keep the oil near the pickup during the hard cornering.

The one by JUN that you showed me has a nice circular wall around the pickup, but for that money, I could just have someone fabricate one for me locally. Plus, there were all the reservations you mentioned about the site.

I am down to use that S2000 filter from now on! When looking at the side by side in the video, I'm guessing it's an optical illusion, but the S2000 gasket looks larger diameter. There is one way to find out, though!

MRT
                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Yes, I did mean TD-60U, sorry.

Keep your OEM halfshaft and axles! You'll use all of that stuff. Sell what else you can, but I think you're being overly optimistic that most of that stuff will fly off the shelves. Price it for dirt cheap and hope someone needs it.

Also, you might want to see if Hmotors will help you out with the distributor. I'm sure they have plenty of parts engines to pull from. Same with the PS components. I should have mentioned that and the mount bracket before, but I'm a bit rusty on these things.

If your engine comes with a PS pump and bracket with the hose fitting, you're golden. Once your engine is out, take that new hose fitting to a hose shop with your whole CB hose and they'll swap them for you. $30-40 around here. If it doesn't come with any of that, junkyards are still going to save the day.

For the mount bracket on the timing side, you want part number
                  11910-P13-000 which bolts to the block. It's the mount bracket that came on all '92-'96 Preludes with a DOHC engine. This will allow the engine to sit perfectly in the bay with no pitch or skew.

So ask Steve at Hmotors about those things. The distributor, the PS hardware your engine comes with and if he can snag that bracket (11910-P13-000) off of any of his parts engines.
                  Steve is the guy I talked to, yes I will call him tomorrow! I won't need to worry about the PS, because I am converting to manual rack (oh, that reminds me that I will need to price the ATI Super Damper). Hopefully he can help me out with the mount bracket and trade out distributors. I will let him know that I already have the coil, and see if he can just switch out dizzys before shipping, assuming he has one. I haven't gotten the confirmation email yet and the card was not charged, so that leaves me hopeful.

MRT
                  Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

I had been trying to find out whether Moroso updated their design for a while, and I never came across that second option. Just the one, saying it was good for both drag and road racing. Thanks for the links.

As for the PCX filter, you can do a quick search for something like "S2000 filter on H22" and find forum posts about people using them on other Hondas. It fits. After all, the smaller Honda filter fits the S2000.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I got the new motor on my engine stand, and it looks great! The cover was certainly painted again after it was new, as evidenced by one of the broken bolts for the spark plug wire cover having paint on it. I'm editing the video now, and it will be up soon!

I am just bummed that the plenum is a PCB style plenum (I thought it was all P13), which means it has the new-fangled IACV that sits vertically with a totally different plug. I won't be able to swap IACVs, so back to the junkyard for a P13 plenum!

Good news is that the runners and head are stamped P13, so I can use my AEM fuel rail. Also, interestingly enough, provisions for only the outer two fuel rail studs exist, and the JDM fuel rail is wicked different than our USDM rails!

MRT
                      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Good thing those plenums are pretty common! I'm assuming you have some injector adapters for those RDX injectors still, right? Just making sure those didn't go with the manifold you sold.

Comment

Good thing those plenums are pretty common! I'm assuming you have some injector adapters for those RDX injectors still, right? Just making sure those didn't go with the manifold you sold.
                          Wait, are you talking about the seals where the injector meets the manifold, or the injector hats? Luckily, I have many seals and I still have the hats along with the RDX injectors.

The problem right now is that when I put the rail and injectors on the manifold, the studs are way too short, barely touching the rail, let alone sticking out the other end to be fastened down. I will have to find a USDM P13 manifold and get the plenum and the studs.

MRT
                          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

The motor is here, and it is gorgeous! I am so happy that I have all the tools I need to properly work on it outside the car.

Since it is a JDM H23A, with a PCB plenum, I had to source the P13 plenum, ODB1 EGR, knock sensor plug, VTEC subharness, bracket for timing side, manual tensioner, TD-61U dizzy, and lots more. There is lots more than that, but those are the things to make it work with my OBD1 harness.

Anybody use World Power Systems dizzys? They are highly rated on Rockauto.

MRT
                            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

TEC is the OEM distributor manufacturer for the '90's era cars. Might as well go OEM imo, instead of picking up something that is after market. Great progress so far on the car. Even if it is slow, it is steady.

Why did you have to get rid of the 6th gen Accord? Obviously something mechanical was failing. Most likely the transmission?
                              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                                TEC is the OEM distributor manufacturer for the '90's era cars. Might as well go OEM imo, instead of picking up something that is after market. Great progress so far on the car. Even if it is slow, it is steady.

Why did you have to get rid of the 6th gen Accord? Obviously something mechanical was failing. Most likely the transmission?
                                Thanks man,

the CG5 started showing signs of oil consumption and losses in compression. I also had a CEL problem with the EGR that I could not fix with replacements or port cleaning. Since I put over 400 miles a week on my daily for my various jobs, I needed to make the switch to something more practical. The only unfortunate thing about the CM5 is the surprisingly less torque below 3k. The power up top is much better though.

MRT
                                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Working...
                                X