X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap FAQ: (Read Prior to Posting!)

Swap Faq's for the CB7

General Swap Info:

Just about all of the F/H motors can be swapped because of their layout and bolt-up similarities, so in most cases the stock CB mounts and wiring harness are used. Below are the differences that you will need to look out for, and which combination of parts to use. If swapping a motor is new to you, check out the F22 Removal Guide.

Most of this info is for swapping the H22A/1/4 however it can be applied for other engines you may wish to swap such as the F22B1/2 or F23Ax. For possible engine swaps list refer to this thread http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=&threadid=523.

Buy a manual for the year vehicle your engine came from, for the vehicle it’s going into, and for the year of the ECU you plan to use.
    Example: 97H22 with P13 OBD-1 ECU (1994 Vtec Prelude) into a 93 Accord. Get a 97 Prelude helms, a 94 Prelude helms, and a 93 Accord helms manual. Go to www.helminc.com to get them.

Use the accord wiring harness and lengthen/modify the harness to fit the H22. If you undo the tape and loom on your F22 harness you will free up allot of free wire. For instance you will not have to lengthen the O2 wiring, If you remove the tape and loom there is enough wire to move the O2 wiring to it’s new location. Just re-tape and loom when you are done. If possible try to solder and heat shrink all the engine harnesses connections to avoid problems.

The oil pressure sensor has a different plug on the h22, swap the accord sensor onto the h22 or simply change the plug. The EGR also has a different plug. Simply reuse your F22 EGR valve or change the plug. The F22 has an extra coolant temp sensor on the radiator return neck that H22 does not, simply swap necks between engines.

Pin locations for OBD-1 ECU’s:
    - Vtec solenoid: Pin A4
    - Vtec pressure switch: Pin D6
    - Knock sensor: Pin D3
    - Secondary Intake Solenoid: Pin A17 (Connect Black/Yellow wire on solenoid to switched ignition, the other to pin A17)
    - FPR Solenoid: Pin A10 (Connect Black/Yellow on solenoid to switched ignition, the other to pin A10. This Solenoid is not found on all H22’s but it is on some. It will not hurt anything if you don’t use it, but should you want to this is the correct way to connect it. It is located near the fuel rail next to the IAC on the H22)

* Using a 94/95 Accord ECU (P0A/P0B)? Swap pin A6 with A11 on the ECU harness. This is necessary since the 5th gen was wired opposite of the 4th gen for these two pins.

Where to get pins:
    Go to a junkyard, find any OBD-1 Honda, and cut the ECU harness out. There you have a ready supply of ECU pins. Just remove the style pin you need and install it in the blank spot on your current plug. Of course cut enough so you can splice to .

Plug identification and numbering:
    The largest plug is “A”, the middle and smallest is “B”, the last and second largest plug is “D”. Plug “C” only exists on 4WS vehicles. The pins are numbers in the “Zig-Zag” fashion and from the wire side. Meaning looking at the plug from the wire side pin 1 will be on the left, pin 2 below it, pin 3 to the right of pin 1 on the top row, so on and so fourth. Top row is odd and the bottom row is even.

Axles:
    - For simplicity use the Accord Axles and half shaft. If you wish you can use the Prelude half shaft and have the Prelude driver’s side inner joint attached to the Accord Axle. Do not use the Prelude axles as they are to long.

Air Conditioning (H22A):
    To keep ac take the bracket off the F22 and put it on the H22 and use the Accord compressor.

Alternator:
    Prelude and Accord alternators are the same, they just have a different sized pulley. Either one will bolt up to either bracket, but if you replace your alternator for the one with the smaller pulley, youll either need a shorter belt or youll need to use washers on the 10mm tensioner bolt to get it to tighten all the way. Prelude alternators have a 6 ribbed pulley while accord alternators have a 5 ribbed pulley.

Power Steering (H22A):
    Use the 4th gen Bracket and pump with a custom sized belt. Only two bolt holes will line up and you will have to shim the lower hole. Or you can use the H22A Bracket, Pump, and you will need the Prelude high pressure line.

Mounts:
    For the H22A simply reuse the all the Accord mounts. The actual size and shape of the f22a and the h22a are exactly the same, so bolting all of the original mounts and brackets onto the new motor should take care of any mounting issues. With everything swapped over, the motor will bolt directly back in.

For other engines such as the F22B1 you will need to use the F22Ax driver’s side inner mount and bracket, the one that passes through the timing covers and bolts into the side of the block. Remove it from the F22Ax and reuse it on the F22B1. All the bolts will line up except for one.

Transmission Mounts:
    For the 5-Speed you will to use a 10x1.25mm tap to tap the two unused holes in the Prelude transmissions case. Before you can do this the holes need to be enlarged with an 11/32" drill bit... get a drill bit that is made to drill through metal! Remove the two studs from their old location, and install them in the location you just drilled and tapped. Then you can mount up the Accord's tranny mount on the Prelude transmission. Click Here for DIY by TysCb7

For Autos nothing is needed it just bolts up with no additional modding.

Fuel Rail:
    use whichever fuel rail works, the USDM f22 and h22 rails are the same, but JDM ones have the fuel fitting on the opposite side. Just use whatever works, and use the h22a's injectors and sensors... If your new motor is JDM, youll most likely need to reuse your old fuel rail.

Exhaust:
    For the H22A the USDM 93-96 Vtec manifold will bolt right up to the CB7 Exhaust. However the JDM H22A down pipe seems to have larger flange that will not bolt up to the CB7 cat. You can either cut and weld a new flange or the easiest route would be just purchase an aftermarket header for the 93-96 Vtec Prelude. Redrilling three new holes in the larger JDM downpipe flange will also make it so it fits.

* When installing an H22A4 (97+ USDM H22A) I have heard that in some cases, the header rubs the front crossmember. You will need to grind down the front crossmember in this case.

For other engines such as an F22B1, of course a header and downpipe that matches the motor will need to be used, but the downpipe will not properly match up to the cat, it will be too long. Custom exhaust work will be required.

Using an OBD2 engine such as the 97+ H22A4 or Type-S H22A:
    The easiest way to accomplish this goal is to use the OBD-1 distributor, Injectors, and ECU. I’m not going to get into converting the OBD-1 Cb7 to OBD-2a since almost no one will be doing this.

Here is a description of wiring for converting OBD-2 distributor wiring to OBD-1 and vice versa:

Internal/External Coil Issues:
    If your car came equipped with an internal coil then the JDM H22 distributor will plug right in no problem. However, if your car had external coil then you will have to modify one plug. The plug you will need to modify is the plug that went to the stock coil. There are is a yellow and a yellow/black wire, splice those 2 wires together. The Black/White wire is useless, don’t worry about it. If you dont want to cut the plug off and splice, jam a 30amp fuse into the end of the plug, making the connection between the two wires.

If your car is external coil and you wish to maintain the external coil you will need to open the JDM dizzy, remove the internal coil. Run the wire from the igniter that used to go to the internal coil out of the distributor and plug it into the blank spot on the distributor’s plug. That’s it. Use the 93-95 Prelude Vtec’s Distributor cap and rotor that you can pick-up and your local dealer or auto parts.

What caps to use:
    Internal coil – CB7 internal coil cap/rotor or 00 Civic SI cap/rotor.
    External coil – 93-95 Prelude Vtec cap/rotor.

Aftermarket Ignition amp install (MSD/Crane):
    For External Coil equipped cars:
    Cut the Plug that went to the stock coil off, splice the yellow and yellow/black
    wires together connect this wire to the ignition on of your aftermarket amp (red for MSD). Connect the Black/White wire to the Trigger input of your aftermarket amp (White on MSD).

ApexI VAFC Settings:
    These settings are different for each car, use these as a baseline and get your car on a dyno.

-2 from 0-4800 wide throttle
    -5 from 4300-8000 wide throttle
    Vtec low<>high 4700
    Vtec high<>low 4600
    Throttle point low 10 high 50

MORE INFORMATION BELOW!

* Special Thanks go to Wadzii for contributing allot of this information and poison for the diagram, Thank you.
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-08-2010, 02:23 PM.
    My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Updates!

Transmision Codes:
    Thanks to V4lu3s from HS.

H2A5 - manual (2/4 door DX/LX Accord F22A1/F22A4)
    H2U4 - manual (5 door wagon Accord)
    H2U5 - munual (2/4 door EX/SE Accord F22A6)
    MPXA - auto (any chassis/model).

M2A4 – JDM H22A tranny non-LSD.
    M2B4 – JDM H22A tranny LSD Equipped.
    M2S4 - USDM H23A1 tranny/possibly also JDM f22b tranny as well.
    M2F4 - USDM H22A1 tranny.
    M2YA – USDM H22A4 tranny.
    M2U4 - USDM Type SH tranny
    T2T4 - JDM Accord SiR-T 5spd LSD Equipped (F20B).
    T2W4 - Accord Euro-R LSD Equipped (Japan)
    U2Q7- Accord Type-R LSD Equipped. (Europe)

MP1A - JDM Prelude H22 Auto LSD
    MP0A - JDM Prelude H22 Auto Non-LSD

The JDM LSD will NOT fit in the USDM tranny case. The JDM case is bigger.

Thanks to Gerhard_001 for that piece of info.

Auto Tranny, Using the Prelude auto tranny and TCU:
    Courtsey of JWise1203:

To make the shift lock operate properly you will need to run a wire from the shifter position switch to the tranny controller. On the left side of the shifter there is a box with about 5/6 wires going into it. This is the shifter position switch. You need to tap into the GRN/WHT wire and run it back to pin A7 on the TCM. Plug A is the bigger of the 2 plugs.

And here are some more updates to make everyones life easier
    Don't let me catch anyone filling this forum up with stupid questions covered in this FAQ! Your thread will be deleted for giving me a headache.

Basic add-ons to your current harness:

OBD-1 Pin Removal:

OBD-1 ECU Pinout:

OBD-1 ECU Pinout Another Pic:

OBD-2 Pin Removal:

OBD-2a ECU Pinout:

OBD-2b ECU Pinout:

OBD-0 ECU Pinout:

Credits:
    A huge thank you goes out to everyone at FF-Squad esspecially Katman for these great diagrams and to moto27cm for his diagram. Thank you.
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM.

Comment

That's Whassup!

*******JOSE IS GOD*******

Yo,
      Good lookin' out. This alone should increase the amount if Hybrids on this site. It so intricately explains VTEC wiring that it makes the apparantly insurmountable task of wiring extremely obvious. Yo son....You real ILL!
      -One
      Bean Town Crew Member #3
      Lovin' the 6MT w/ Nav TL!
      "They Aint the REAL McCOY!"

Comment

What do you mean (bustedlx) when you say to connect the black /yellow wire to switched ignition.(the secondary intake connector) Can you tell what I should connect it to,thanx.
        FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7-R
          What do you mean (bustedlx) when you say to connect the black /yellow wire to switched ignition.(the secondary intake connector) Can you tell what I should connect it to,thanx.
          Basically any source that has 12 volt positive when the ignition switch is in the "run" position. You can connect that wire to any black/yellow or yellow/black in the engine harness.

Comment

Just thought i would add these pictures Jose, cause alot of people ask about the H22 Tranny with Accord Mount drilling and what not. For more info about the drill & tap see cpmike's post below this.

Pin locations for OBD-1 ECU’s:
            - Vtec solenoid: Pin A4----Green with yellow.
            - Vtec pressure switch: Pin D6----Blue

H22 Tranny Mount

Empty holes are where the OLD PRELUDE Mount was.

Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-08-2010, 02:03 PM.
            H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

to go along with phatdonut's post, here is a pic made by patastinky back in the day. drill out the two holes that have the arrows pointing to them with an 11/32 drill bit, then tap them with a 10x1.25mm tap, and move the two studs over so you can bolt the old original transmission mount onto the new transmission.

edit: i also went through his original post and added some clarifications
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-18-2005, 03:47 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

How to remove pins from the ECU plugs, just a supplemental pic. People usually have a hard time with this... the point of using the screwdriver is to push the plastic tab (blue) out of the way to allow the pin to slide out.
                Attached Files

Current cars:

Comment

I'd like to point out that the link for possible engine swaps is invalid. It's also invalid on the stickies that refer to it...

I'd really like to have it back, because I have a bunch of noob questions about the F22B I know it answers!

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
                  We got something to say!
                  Police this, condemn this, damn this
                  We'll be heard anyway!
                  Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

Originally posted by evol90accord
                    I'd like to point out that the link for possible engine swaps is invalid. It's also invalid on the stickies that refer to it...

I'd really like to have it back, because I have a bunch of noob questions about the F22B I know it answers!
                    ive had a few people telling me that, but its working perfectly for me....

Current cars:

Comment

Hmm thats weird. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=&threadid=523 I know it worked before, but its not now. I've tried clicking on it on every way I know how . Are you sure its not just cached in your browser? Try clearing your browser cookies and stuff and see if you can still reach it. All of the links are busted too, not just the one in this thread... its like it disappeared

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
                      We got something to say!
                      Police this, condemn this, damn this
                      We'll be heard anyway!
                      Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

Checking that thread out, doesn't work for me either.
                        Bart: What's your name?
                        Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

wow its in some sort of weird archive mode or something... i cant edit it or do anything to it... i can see it because im a mod probably... idk, i saved it and should probably remake it soon.

Current cars:

Comment

hey bustedlx ,
                            I did the jdm h22a swap in auto lx accord 4th gen. THe shift lock part of the guide does not work. I tap in to the green and white wire to the tcu. I still can;t shift. Maybe i did it wrong. Can you be more specific. thanks

CB7 JDM H22a

<br><br>
                            R.I.P Accord ---- ---

Comment

here in the uk most accord lover are coming into grips with swappin of the h22 engine in the cb accords ...... as most you may have/not know .. we got the 90 - 93 accord bearing the f20a 3 - 8 and f22a 2 - 3 both single cams engine . the models are 2.0 dx (carb), ex 2.0i /2.2i and se2.0i/2.2i pgmfi some engines carries a egr valve on the manifold or should i say ( doesnt carry a catalyic converter )... now , the 2.2i is a f/r 4ws (havent i point this out already ?!! ) and the 2.0 is a 2 ws .... the f20a single cam doesnt carry a iab box under the intake manifold but the 2.2 does... you mention swapping pin a6 with a11 theres also the eld issue and last the idle needle bouncing when the car decreases its speed and bogging in low revs any suggestion lol we dont have any helms or haynes manual on this year accord but a loads of tripe any way gimme some ops on this please ...

'' we racing or you just blowing smoke ?''

Comment

Working...
                              X