X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Custom Front Grill

Supplies:
    +Phillips Screw Driver
    +Mesh Gutter cover from Home Depot ($2.00)
    +Wire Cutters/Scissors
    +SprayPaint (optional)

First Take off your front Grill by removing the 5 screws, there are two clips behind the grill holding it on still, get a screw driver in there and press on the top there is a release button and work them out of the clip (you may have to pull and work it out it can get stuck)
    When grill is off take all the screws out of the back of it. Measure the mesh so its a little larger than the grill but will still fit under the chrome that you just took off and cut it. I painted my mesh at this point with some spray paint you can do that or leave it. Align it properly and cut small holes where the screws go through. Screw top and botton Chrome strips back on. Screw vent back onto car.
    If you drop screws all the time like i do they just fall into the plastic underguard of the car. Just bang on that a few time and it should bounce out.

FYI: i didn't write this DIY. what i've done to my front grill is similar though. the only difference is that i've left my chrome strips off, painted the mesh black, and cut that plastic black strip that runs across the middle of the grill housing off.

Pics would help alot

Hey sup man,

For some of us people we want to see pictures to help us do things easier, so if you can update ur DIY gril with pix on, that would be great.

Comment

Re: Pics would help alot

Originally posted by Zen
      Hey sup man,

For some of us people we want to see pictures to help us do things easier, so if you can update ur DIY gril with pix on, that would be great.

yes, i realize that pics are a great help. and usually i will always include pics in DIYs that i have written myself. however, i did not write this particular DIY... and i unfortunately don't have pics of my grill modification process. i'll try to see what i can do though. maybe i can go take close up pics of my grill and give you all the general idea of how it's done.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks man in advance. I might wanna start that project soon, just want to do it correctly and make it look nice and all that hehe.

Comment

I acually did this about a year ago and when i get my digi cam back i'll take it apart and get some pics

Comment

HOW WE DO... 90-91 GRILL

Aight this is how i did my grill.... the pics are kinda dark but i didnt know how to set the camera up yet soooo put on ur glasses....

1. Buy the grill off ebay if u dont have one, or use ur original one from 90-91 accords.
            2. Sand the hell out of it, so the paint sticks real nice.
            3. Cut out the various plastic parts in the black part of the grill so it dosnt look so ugly without any mesh and it isnt really necessary.
            4. I filled in the space for the H emblem with bondo, put a piece of tape on the back so the bondo can lay on the tape (you can remove it later)

5. Once the bondo dries sand it down to be even with the rest of the plastic grill and clean it off with alcohol and prime it.

6. Sand as many times as you need to get any small hole or imperfections out...

Once your done sanding and perfecting your ready for the paint, you can either take it to a paint shop and they can paint it for you, which will look the best, or you can go to a paint store and get em to mix up a can of 95% matching paint and spray paint it like I did, looks pretty good except the paint chips

7. Once your done painting, usually takes about 3 or 4 nice coats, then you can put in some kind of mesh to make it look sweet....
            heres what the finished product should look like....

Good luck and post pics if you use this if not at least give me credit for writing this lol just playin ya'll.......
            PEACE

Comment

Nice work.

Nice work man. Everything looks good. Only one thing still bothers me. On a 92-93 accord, the grill plates are different. Does that matter much on how you put the gril? Anyways good work on the grill again.

Zen

Comment

nice DIY dood.. did you have any problems with fitment with the 90-91 grille and the 92-93 headlights?
                MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
                i pulled over and looked under the hood.
                the engine was still there...
                ...silly light!

Comment

ya the fitment is kinda shitty, the 92/93 bumper isnt flat where the grill goes it comes up maybe half inch, the 90/91 bumper is just flat in the middle, the headlights have a small angle to them and the grill dosnt, so moving the headlights over a tiny bit is a good idea, when the hood is closed u can see the top of the grill sticks out 1/4"......might be different for other cb7'ers but thats how mine is........check out lithium92's grill i really like it its a 92/93 looks good too......

Comment

still looks real good though.. good diy, i love diy's
                    just show what ya can do

Comment

hehehehe

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

a pic of my DIY grill up close:

Comment

Originally posted by accordtunerx
                          a pic of my DIY grill up close:
                          looks like it matches with ur cf hood

whatever happened to the chrome strips that u took off? wouldnt happen to still have the bottom one, would u?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

AccordtunerX I really like your grill... I just bought a grill kit off of ebay... found someone who sold me a pre-cut two-piecer for like 6 bucks shipped and he painted it gunmetal for me.... I just put it on with some damn zip ties.... it's not bad, but I'm gonna cut the black bars off the inside soon.... I wouldn't mind doing it flush mount like yours....

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                              whatever happened to the chrome strips that u took off? wouldnt happen to still have the bottom one, would u?
                              cpmike: i still have the strips... i cut the 'H' emblem off of the top one, sanded them down, and painted em black. i was thinkin' about putting them back on and mounting the mesh behind the grill housing. but.. i'm not sure yet.

oldirtdog: thanks for the compliment, good luck w/ your grill project.

Comment

Working...
                              X