Lets talk spring rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
    Problem with karting is that you cant jam on the brake and accel at the same time or you can bind the chain. Not a fun thing. Shifter karts are a slightly different story.
    and why would you do that? you dont achieve anything. you really dont want any delay between the two. either off or on...

the spilit second for my foot to go from gas to brake, i feel, is too slow of a reaction and the during an auto-x you only have spilit seconds.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
      Problem with karting is that you cant jam on the brake and accel at the same time or you can bind the chain. Not a fun thing. Shifter karts are a slightly different story.
      Most karts I have driven have ignition cut when you use the brakes.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter
      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
        Most karts I have driven have ignition cut when you use the brakes.
        lol not mine. Shifter karts it doesnt matter as I recall since they have dual braking compared to the single brake on normal karts. But most of mine they still tell you not to do that either way it doesnt take much less brake = faster if you take the right line. It sucks the first few laps when the tires are cold though but after they grip damn its fun haha.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

You should get some Koni Sport shocks and custom Ground-Control coilover sleeves.
          Raceline USA

Comment

Originally posted by JDMxDB8 View Post
            You should get some Koni Sport shocks and custom Ground-Control coilover sleeves.
            x2, plus they use Eibach springs, which I love. Hell my sportlines are awesome. Anyways I read that coner balancing thing again and its the same thing as cross in the circle track world. Anyways when/if you get the ground control setup let me know how it is, i want the same set up also. I know I dont auto x but I want to and plus i perfer handling over ride comfort any day.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
            "The Turtle"
            DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

relating to spring rates, I am running Omnipower Streets w/ a 10k front 8k rear spring rate. when running it at autox the car tends to three wheel it around turns, and it seems the rear end offers little aid in keeping traction. what do you guys think could stop this? I am planning on getting a solid front strut bar fabbed up, do you think that would help?
              '92 LX.
              JDM H22a.

My Member's Ride Thread

Sold to: tysCb7, johnD1079, AccordHybrid92, GUA-D'zCb-7, judonoh, DriftProjectR, AeyJayCB7, C91BLX7, H23CB7

Comment

Originally posted by ThrakBarts View Post
                relating to spring rates, I am running Omnipower Streets w/ a 10k front 8k rear spring rate. when running it at autox the car tends to three wheel it around turns, and it seems the rear end offers little aid in keeping traction. what do you guys think could stop this? I am planning on getting a solid front strut bar fabbed up, do you think that would help?
                What kind of sway do you have in the rear

Front sway might be the answer... but it will make for an interesting ride over bumps

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                  What kind of sway do you have in the rear

Front sway might be the answer... but it will make for an interesting ride over bumps
                  progress rear sway.

why would riding over bumps be different with a bigger front sway?
                  '92 LX.
                  JDM H22a.

My Member's Ride Thread

Sold to: tysCb7, johnD1079, AccordHybrid92, GUA-D'zCb-7, judonoh, DriftProjectR, AeyJayCB7, C91BLX7, H23CB7

Comment

Originally posted by ThrakBarts View Post
                    progress rear sway.

why would riding over bumps be different with a bigger front sway?
                    No, don't change anything on the front. People remove those before making bigger.

3-wheeling is not the end of the world. In fact, in some ways it is good. I am just surprised you can do it in a CB7. But then again, your rates are higher than mine.
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter
                    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

three wheeling is not bad, if the car feels too loose make a tire pressure adjustment or try a different line.
                      1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
                      newer race video,older race videos
                      1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
                      1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

i just found the spring rates for NEX Suspension:

i guess im running 674fr-337rr
                        93 Coupe........AutoX

Comment

so we are running the same front spring, but my rears are ~3x stiffer
                          1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
                          newer race video,older race videos
                          1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
                          1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

It's been a while since I read through this whole thread. But was there a tested auto-x setup thats proven to work well. It seems everyone has a different answer.

Currently I have 500lb fr and 300lb rear, tokico illumina shocks. It's not terrible, but I know it could be better. I chose those rates before I knew about making the rear stiffer for auto-x.

I already have koni yellows waiting to be put on, just wanted to switch up the spring rates. I was thinking 350lb front 600lb rear. Not sure yet.

Any input is appreciated.

Comment

Blindly changing spring rates like that isn't a good way to do it. Start with an aftermarket set and go from there. They'll get you in the ballpark. Getting your ride frequency dialed in right takes alot of measurement, calculation, and iteration. 350F 600R is WAY too extreme, the back end will be all over the place, and plus your front end is too soft overall. You won't have the roll stiffness you need for autocross. Lifting the inside rear tire on a fwd car is a good thing too.
                              There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                                Blindly changing spring rates like that isn't a good way to do it. Start with an aftermarket set and go from there. They'll get you in the ballpark. Getting your ride frequency dialed in right takes alot of measurement, calculation, and iteration. 350F 600R is WAY too extreme, the back end will be all over the place, and plus your front end is too soft overall. You won't have the roll stiffness you need for autocross. Lifting the inside rear tire on a fwd car is a good thing too.

Not sure what you mean by start with a aftermarket set?

350f 600r was just a guess right now. Im basing that number off other setups i've read other autocrossers used to win. But they were on ef civics something like 450f 600r. Im trying to get my inner rear wheel to lift, thats why I threw that stiff 600lb rear rate out there. I figure the front sway bar will take care of the softer front spring rate. I already have a progress rear sway btw.

Thanks for the input. Any spring rate suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X