No announcement yet.

A\C Recharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats not a bad deal for the manifold gauge set alone. I spent $75 on mine, and you get a can of R12 to boot, with some extra hoses. I'd go for it.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by masospaghetti View Post
      Paying a shop to do a/c work is really expensive!
      The fine is more expensive, though. Just figured I should mention that again, since my previous mention seems to have gone ignored. It is illegal for anyone but a licensed professional to vent an R12 system. It is federally illegal, and I've known 2 people personally that have gotten caught doing it (though I don't recall what they were fined. One of them may have gotten the charges dropped or lessened.)
      I do know that in the early 90s, a $10,000 reward was offered to anyone who turned in a person venting any refrigerant illegally. The penalty for the person doing the deed was $25,000. I can't find any info on either a reward or penalty amount now... but if I saw my neighbor venting his shit and I could get a few grand for reporting his ass... you bet your sweet bippy I'm going to do it!

It is also illegal to use any substitute that isn't approved by the EPA. Here's a list for you.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        The fine is more expensive, though. Just figured I should mention that again, since my previous mention seems to have gone ignored. It is illegal for anyone but a licensed professional to vent an R12 system. It is federally illegal, and I've known 2 people personally that have gotten caught doing it (though I don't recall what they were fined. One of them may have gotten the charges dropped or lessened.)
        I do know that in the early 90s, a $10,000 reward was offered to anyone who turned in a person venting any refrigerant illegally. The penalty for the person doing the deed was $25,000. I can't find any info on either a reward or penalty amount now... but if I saw my neighbor venting his shit and I could get a few grand for reporting his ass... you bet your sweet bippy I'm going to do it!

It is also illegal to use any substitute that isn't approved by the EPA. Here's a list for you.
        How does one get caught venting R12?

I feel like you would have to tell someone to even get in trouble. It's not like your neighbor knows the smell of R12.

Not condoning illegal activities. I completely agree that AC work should be done by a professional. However, I don't quite understand how one would get caught for this.

Comment

It's illegal to vent any refrigerant, but the older ones definitely carry hefty fines.

If a neighbor sees you venting the AC system of a 25+ year old car, they (and the police) will most likely assume that it's an older R12 system. I mean, I'm sure you could prepare yourself and claim that it was r134a, or that you weren't venting your AC system at all... but it's still risky.
          Chances are you'd never get caught. But if the fine is still $25,000 (or more!) is it really worth the risk? Especially if there are incentives out there for people to rat you out! Not sure if there still are... but I bet even $100 would be enough for the neighborhood busybody to make a phone call or two. At the very least, it'll be a hassle if the cops show up, even if no charges are filed.

Being educated on the matter so you can make an informed decision is what matters. If you want to take a risk and break the law, you should at least be aware of the penalties for doing so. Ignorance isn't a valid excuse in the courtroom.

Comment

It's also been illegal to manufacturer R12 since 1996. Thus, the only legitimate R12 still available on the market is from scavenging R12 out of old AC systems.

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
              It's also been illegal to manufacturer R12 since 1996. Thus, the only legitimate R12 still available on the market is from scavenging R12 out of old AC systems.
              That. And the large quantities I have stored away from when my dad used to own a shop.

I have enough R12 to outlast my need for it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                The fine is more expensive, though. Just figured I should mention that again, since my previous mention seems to have gone ignored. It is illegal for anyone but a licensed professional to vent an R12 system.
                Did someone advocate venting a R12 system? Either he should top-off his R12, or convert it to R-134a.

Either way, R-12 is way too valuable and environmentally destructive to be venting. I know auto a/c shops will reclaim R-134a for free; they might even pay you to take R12.
                1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
                VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
                NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
                CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

Just thought i would put my 2 cents in on this topic. so i had r 12 in my lines, so i thought my compressor went bad turns out the bolt that holds the clutch on just came loose so in a series of sad events i lost my r12, but i wasnt out couple hundred bucks for a new compressor. I recharged my ac lines after a new dryer and flushing all lines, i added 1 bottle of ester oil, uv dye, and 3 cans of air duster from sam's club they come in a 4 pack for 10 bucks. I purchased my gauge set and a nice uni-weld 6 cfm vacuum pump from a pawn shop for $100. the main reason i posted this is to just say you dont have to spent $100 bucks on r134a just go by some air duster it works fine from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 93cb7h22a View Post
                    Just thought i would put my 2 cents in on this topic. so i had r 12 in my lines, so i thought my compressor went bad turns out the bolt that holds the clutch on just came loose so in a series of sad events i lost my r12, but i wasnt out couple hundred bucks for a new compressor. I recharged my ac lines after a new dryer and flushing all lines, i added 1 bottle of ester oil, uv dye, and 3 cans of air duster from sam's club they come in a 4 pack for 10 bucks. I purchased my gauge set and a nice uni-weld 6 cfm vacuum pump from a pawn shop for $100. the main reason i posted this is to just say you dont have to spent $100 bucks on r134a just go by some air duster it works fine from my experience.
                    Interesting you got air duster to work, I knew it was R-134a but how did you hook it up to the manifold gauge?

You can get 3 cans of Dupont R-134a on Amazon for about $19 with free shipping, FYI.
                    1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
                    VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
                    NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
                    CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

So update, I finally got around to buying that manifold on craigslist that I posted earlier. Looks like it was used once, and sat collecting dust. It came with a full can of r12!
                      Where are the high and low sides on our cars?
                      What pressure readings should I be looking for?
                      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by masospaghetti View Post
                        Interesting you got air duster to work, I knew it was R-134a but how did you hook it up to the manifold gauge?

You can get 3 cans of Dupont R-134a on Amazon for about $19 with free shipping, FYI.
                        $5 dollar side can tap. Difluoroethylene is what needs to me contained in the canned air for it to actually work. its i think r-1132a DONT quote me on that.

Comment

Low is right in front of you as you open hood and high is by driver's side, in front of alternator, towards headlights(at the top of my head). Almost any kind of combustable or "compressible gas" will work. I don't know the science term :? But to be safe I stick to what's out there, r134a. I've heard you can use the r12 alternatives and it works pretty ok. Some people I've known working cars for 20+ years recommended envirosafe, which isn't too expensive in bulk. I heard you can use propane, but that's used to light shit up so not feeling so good about putting it next to a somewhat closed burning engine

Comment

Originally posted by jxiong12 View Post
                            Low is right in front of you as you open hood and high is by driver's side, in front of alternator, towards headlights(at the top of my head). Almost any kind of combustable or "compressible gas" will work. I don't know the science term :? But to be safe I stick to what's out there, r134a. I've heard you can use the r12 alternatives and it works pretty ok. Some people I've known working cars for 20+ years recommended envirosafe, which isn't too expensive in bulk. I heard you can use propane, but that's used to light shit up so not feeling so good about putting it next to a somewhat closed burning engine
                            Haha, no joke. I'm not putting propane in my A/C
                            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
                              Or finding old stock R12 for sale,
                              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X