Lower Strut Mount Bushing Replacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn that was pretty cool.

So what did you do, just put a bunch of washers on a longer threaded bolt & tighten the nut until it pushed the entire bushing & collar out?
    Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
      Damn that was pretty cool.

So what did you do, just put a bunch of washers on a longer threaded bolt & tighten the nut until it pushed the entire bushing & collar out?

no sir, thats the rig to install them, basically a press. the big washers allowed some clearance for the end of the bolt thru hole.

taking them out, you just burn them and jam the goop and metal thru hole out, maybe use the back of the hacksaw blade to scrape a little, but you can burn it away till its just carbon. then you take the saw blade and cut a notch in the outer ring of the once existing bushing, its pretty soft if you balls out or use a sawzall you might nick the control arm, no biggie. then you just use a flat of a chisel or pointy tool and hammer and catch the edge where you just made the cut, itll fold up in on itself, go around and usually half way in all the tension is gone and you pop out the little crumpled shell. hit the bore up with sandpaper, a little grease, some wood a hammer to set the new bushing and that rig to pull it in.

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
        Nice little DIY there ^^^

When I did my friends lower strut bushing I placed it in then just took a socker around the sleeve and pressed it in with some blows of my hammer lol
        lol thanks i think i started with that and saw how malleable the shell of bushing was and came up with that press, two 1/2 impact sockets and a bolt nut and washer would do the same thing too probably.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the info!
          Keep Pushing..

Comment

I know this seems like a dumb question but, does anybody know exactly what
            the part number for the rear lower strut bolt?

I found : 90021-SM4-003 part #15 http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ER&vinsrch=yes

I also found : 52366-SM4-003 part #26 http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...RM&vinsrch=yes
            Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
              I know this seems like a dumb question but, does anybody know exactly what
              the part number for the rear lower strut bolt?

I found : 90021-SM4-003 part #15 http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ER&vinsrch=yes

I also found : 52366-SM4-003 part #26 http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...RM&vinsrch=yes
              The first one (#15) is the bolt for the lower end of the shock to the knuckle.

The second one (#26) goes through the outer end of both control arms and the knuckle; it is at least twice as long as the first.
              Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-27-2016, 08:50 PM.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks, I was at work the other day looking at the diagram. I crawled under my car after work & looked. I appreciate the help.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                  if you have at the minimum a torch hacksaw blade, hammer, old screwdriver or cold chisel and maybe a pointy punch you can remove the oem ones properly

getting the new RUBBER ones in just requires some sand paper, grease a stack of fender washers, bolt and nut and some wrenches.

monroe makes them for 12 bucks a pop.

**I just installed my whole suspension (shocks, springs) & I replaced these lower strut mount bushings. This method is the one I used & was probably the easiest procedure on my CB so far regarding suspension.
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

I wish I had seen that method when I did mine! That would have made things so much easier!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I wish I had seen that method when I did mine! That would have made things so much easier!
                      I forgot to post an update to this. I did use this method with the washers & long bolt. It was by far the EASIEST way I have ever pressed in a bushing. It is amazing how little techniques like that make a job so much easier.

I also used a 1 1/4" hole saw drill bit to remove the inner metal piece as well as the bushing. That literally took 30 seconds max on each side.
                      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                      X