Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

my paint job needs a little work ...help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my paint job needs a little work ...help?

i homemade spray painted my accord matte black and i love the color but it is very blotchy any suggestions ?

Have it repainted professionally.

Comment

Wet sand it smooth and add another layer. Rinse and repeat.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Have it repainted professionally.
        ^ This.

We used to have a guy here by the name of Andrew, he was from the Neosho Missouri area and he knew a guy who was really good at spray painting cars. I seen a couple of the cars he had painted and you would have never thought they had been rattle caned. They looked perfect.

However, they had to be buffed constantly or they looked dull as shit. Then after buffing them so many times they had to be repainted. The paint would only last about a year.

My car was matte grey for a while. Everything that got on the paint it absorbed and left a stain. Bird shit, mud, you name it.

It can be done but it's so much easier and beneficial to send it to a professional. You get what you pay for with paint.

Comment

Rattle can paint is very different from proper automotive paint applied with a sprayer. It's a very different chemical makeup, and the sprayer is intended for large areas, whereas spraycans aren't intended for anything but small patches.

Spraypaint CAN be done to look good, but it won't last, and it won't polish up like a proper automotive paint.

If you want a cheap fix, pick up 10-12 cans of Plastidip, and the trigger addapter from dipyourcar.com. Read up, watch some DYC videos, practice a bit with your spray control, and give it another shot. Plastidip sets more evenly than most spray paint, so it's very forgiving. You can also peel it off if it sucks (sadly, something you can't do with your current blotchy job.)
          The whole thing should cost you under $100. It won't look great, but it'll be a cheap and relatively easy fix.
          If you have $400 or so to spend, you can get the whole spraygun kit with paint... though for $400, you could have Maaco or Earl Schieb paint your car for you. I have a $500 Maaco paintjob on my car that still looks great... and it was done in 2007. Never garaged. Hardly ever washed.

Comment

MAACO is the route I'm going. I'm doing all the prep work though as that is typically where they make short cuts to provide the lower price.

They have specials all the time too, at least once a year.

Comment

Their paint isn't great stuff, but it's decent for what you pay. Prep work and spraying depends on the location, and the person/people doing the work. The Maaco that did my car has a reputation for having the best painter around... and it shows. I was sure to get him to do my car! The cut/weld rust repair, however... not done well. If I bother fixing it again, I'm going to a real body shop for the repair, then I'll have Maaco spray it again.

The yearly specials are usually in the winter months, when people don't frequently get their cars painted. I got mine done for $250. I had them do the prep and repair work, which jacked the price up near $700.

Comment

The one in Springfield, about 30 mins north of me is well known for doing great work. I have been surprised over the years in how many nice paint jobs I have seen where the owner informed me that MAACO did it.

However none of them went with the basic package, as I recall all went with the premium package which is $1200 or $1500, I can't recall exactly. Either way IMO it's a great price for the work I have seen.

Comment

Comment

Matt black is a pain in the *ss to paint anyway, the spots are caused by drying
                    Even professionals struggle sometimes with matt black.

Best options are; Get it done by a professional or paint it in an other color (Air pressure paint gun). sand it down with waterproof and clearcoat it.

These DIY paintjobs dont last long without a clearcoat (as stated above)

Comment

Worth noting to the OP that Maaco is individually owned so they're all different. Mine had the bondo start cracking almost a year ago down my left quarter panel and couple other things. But that's what bothers me the most. Got it done at the end of 2010.

The Facebook group

Comment

Originally posted by ninethreecoupe View Post
                        Worth noting to the OP that Maaco is individually owned so they're all different.
                        This. Some are good, some are not so good.

Go out in the parking lot and look at some of the cars they have just completed and/or ask to see some of the work they are doing currently.

Comment

for 50$ roll on some rustoleum or get a dip your car kit and plastidip it, they have matte colors..color flip..GLOW IN THE DARK you name it with the popularity of the place theyre adding new stuff all the time you can do a whole car with multiple coats and get their electric HVLP spray gun for a couple hundred bucks (Im going this route after some minor body work, matte white, matte black on the chrome pieces)

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...paint-job-quot

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Just look around on youtube..spray bombing it is very inefficient and expensive for the final outcome and durability.

Last edited by illinois_erik; 08-22-2014, 09:31 PM.

Comment

The wheels in your post are powder coated and the car in your post is vinylwrapped (seen it on a show).

I like those $50 paint job topics, but to get it glossy like that youre going to need a whole lot of patience and the tools needed add up to much more than $50.

Still, amazing what some people can do with sanding/polish paper and a can of paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladi View Post
                              The wheels in your post are powder coated and the car in your post is vinylwrapped (seen it on a show).

I like those $50 paint job topics, but to get it glossy like that youre going to need a whole lot of patience and the tools needed add up to much more than $50.

Still, amazing what some people can do with sanding/polish paper and a can of paint.

mmm k

Last edited by illinois_erik; 08-23-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X