CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
ignition control module yo

what year is your car? because 90-91 are different then 92-93
for that hardware

Diagnosing and Fixing a Failed Ignitor on a 93 Honda Accord - DIY ...
homeandauto.ldsdates.com/.../diagnosing-and-fixing-a-failed-ignitor-on-93-honda-accord/ - Cached
Dec 10, 2010 ... While driving home from work one evening the engine on my 93 honda accord suddenly quit it seemed as if it had run out of gas, but I knew ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=1993...-8&sa=N&tab=iw
Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
Accord problems
Contributing Member

Location: THE HIPPIE STATE WHERE EVERY ONE DRIVE A PRIUS... NORTHERN CALIFORNIA *facepalm*
Accord problems is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretoaskstuff View Post
So I took it to the shop and they tested the battery and alternator and they said it works just fine, I told them the problems I was having and they looked at me like I was crazy until I took one of them for a ride. They don't have a clue what's causing it either.
When it does not start listen for the main relay . It will make a CLICKING noise from under the dash . I no clicking then i would suspect main relay . I once had a interment no start and when it did not start there would be no clicking from main relay. I fix main relay and problem went away .

Last edited by Accord problems; 09-05-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Accord problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
heretoaskstuff
CB7tuner Member

heretoaskstuff is cool... so far.
Is it possible that it could be a clogged cat chokin down the engine? Because all electrical stuff still works after it cuts off. The interior lights and high beams dim a little every now and then though.
heretoaskstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
heretoaskstuff
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord problems View Post
When it does not start listen for the main relay . It will make a CLICKING noise from under the dash . I no clicking then i would suspect main relay . I once had a interment no start and when it did not start there would be no clicking from main relay. I fix main relay and problem went away .

Yeah the main relay works. It clicks when I try to start it. It's like I'm trying to turn the car on when I don't have gas but I know it's getting gas. We checked the whole fuel system, from the tank and pump to the filter and injectors.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #25
accordztech
CB7tuner Member

accordztech is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to accordztech
I'd bring a tool 8 or 10 mil socket.

Drive around and when it dies unscrew the service port on the fuel rail and turn the key on to see if u have fuel flow.

Check also the ground on the thermostat housing.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good
accordztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #26
heretoaskstuff
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
I'd bring a tool 8 or 10 mil socket.

Drive around and when it dies unscrew the service port on the fuel rail and turn the key on to see if u have fuel flow.

Check also the ground on the thermostat housing.
Alright, I'll try that. Where's the ground for the thermostat?
Old 09-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #27
accordztech
CB7tuner Member

You will see a ground bolted directly on the thermostat. I'm highly doubting thats your issue tho.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
wagon-r
CB7tuner Member

wagon-r seems to have made some friends! wagon-r seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Is it possible that it could be a clogged cat chokin down the engine? Because all electrical stuff still works after it cuts off. The interior lights and high beams dim a little every now and then though.
Clogged catalysts are largely a thing of the past. Modern catalysts have much better substrates, which both flow better and are less likely to break up.

I have seen pictures of catalysts clogged with MMT (a fuel additive to raise octane that used to be available in Canada). But even here the clogging was only around the edges and the center of the catalyst was still open. It reduced power and fuel economy a bit, but not so much that the driver would notice.

I'm not saying it can't happen. But it is rare these days.
wagon-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #29
heretoaskstuff
CB7tuner Member

Now my lights dim when I shift and let the clutch out, sometimes it'll dim while coasting. But so far it hasn't cut off or stopped turning over for about two days.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #30
heretoaskstuff
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon-r View Post
Clogged catalysts are largely a thing of the past. Modern catalysts have much better substrates, which both flow better and are less likely to break up.

I have seen pictures of catalysts clogged with MMT (a fuel additive to raise octane that used to be available in Canada). But even here the clogging was only around the edges and the center of the catalyst was still open. It reduced power and fuel economy a bit, but not so much that the driver would notice.

I'm not saying it can't happen. But it is rare these days.
I don't think it is then lol. I've noticed that it cuts off and on when under heavy acceleration, SOMETIMES it'll cut off and back on when cruising around. After it does that if I park it, it'll crank but it won't turn over unless it sits for a while.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #31
wildBill83
CB7tuner Member

wildBill83 seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
I don't think it is then lol. I've noticed that it cuts off and on when under heavy acceleration, SOMETIMES it'll cut off and back on when cruising around. After it does that if I park it, it'll crank but it won't turn over unless it sits for a while.
That does sound like a plugged catalytic converter. I had a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that did that, I thought it was an electrical problem and replaced so many expensive parts before I just had a new catalytic converter welded on. It would run fine for 20-30 minutes then die when I tried to accelerate and wouldn't start again for 20-30 minutes.

My Jeep was 3/4 under water at one point in time and that is most likely what killed the converter, not the exhaust itself.
wildBill83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
heretoaskstuff
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildBill83 View Post
That does sound like a plugged catalytic converter. I had a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that did that, I thought it was an electrical problem and replaced so many expensive parts before I just had a new catalytic converter welded on. It would run fine for 20-30 minutes then die when I tried to accelerate and wouldn't start again for 20-30 minutes.

My Jeep was 3/4 under water at one point in time and that is most likely what killed the converter, not the exhaust itself.
My car was sitting for a few years so maybe this could've caused the cat to get clogged?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #33
accordztech
CB7tuner Member

No its a clogged cat. Clogged cat symptoms would be:

Idles fine, but as you accelerate you get less and less power. You can confirm this with a VAC guage. Monitor the VAC at idle, then raise to 2500 rpm...it should be very close to the same...if its lower then the CAT is clogged or there is a exhaust restriction.

Retro!

Hater

Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #34
Accord problems
Contributing Member

Location: THE HIPPIE STATE WHERE EVERY ONE DRIVE A PRIUS... NORTHERN CALIFORNIA *facepalm*
Accord problems is cool... so far.
How To Diagnose Exhaust Restrictions.

Accord problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #35
Obr_Chaos
Newcomer

Obr_Chaos is cool... so far.
Lightbulb I think it's your main relay.

Hello heretoaskstuff and everyone,

I have a 92 accord 2nd owner till today. It died like 3 times like yours did, it would random die while driving, and it was always the main relay.

if distributor works, Alternator ok, and engine starts while your getting sparks and getting fuel, it should not shut off at all. You know relays can seem ok, but when you are on the road, "vibrations" will make it falter. It's probably that.
GL man
Obr_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #36
heretoaskstuff
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obr_Chaos View Post
Hello heretoaskstuff and everyone,

I have a 92 accord 2nd owner till today. It died like 3 times like yours did, it would random die while driving, and it was always the main relay.

if distributor works, Alternator ok, and engine starts while your getting sparks and getting fuel, it should not shut off at all. You know relays can seem ok, but when you are on the road, "vibrations" will make it falter. It's probably that.
GL man
You're right, I already have a brand new main relay straight from honda and a few other parts to put on my car but it's hard to find the time to replace it when I'm working 12 hours everyday of the week, and my personal schedule is backed up.):

Tags
1991 , accord , problem

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: