Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Type of Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type of Intake

Own a 1990 cb7 EX 16 valve ALL STOCK want to know what kind of intake should i put in it should i put a SHORT RAM INTAKE or COLD AIR INTAKE any recommendations. i would like to hear from you all thank you.

It doesn't matter, you won't gain much power from either with a stock engine.

People have said that a cold air draws in more dense air which can give more power but I haven't seen any proof.

Cold air sounds different than short ram.

Cold air may also require battery relocation.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Cold air also requires you to cut into the metal of your engine bay, and it's a pain in the ass to remove when you need it out of the way. I used a cold air intake, and I regret it.

The air in the engine bay isn't all that hot when the car is moving. The biggest argument against a short ram intake is that it "draws in hot air". The engine temperature difference is minimal, and the impact on your engine's performance is also minimal. Stick with a short ram. You would be wise to use a quality filter (such as AEM, K&N, or Apexi) rather than whatever cheap filter comes on most inexpensive intake systems. The pipe, however, is just a pipe. If you don't live in California, don't waste your money on a CARB approved intake. It's no different than any other.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

If you want power, look elsewhere other than cold air intakes for factory cars. Unless you're increasing the diameter of the piping for an engine that's starving for more air, you're wasting your money.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

K&N replacement is a really good filter and is reusable for life. I think I paid 40$ for mine. Better gas mileage if that's what your looking for.

Comment

Sad but true story is that the factory intake is a cold air intake. Honest, take one apart and you will see the tubes going through the fender. I'm still trying to figure out why the SE with the IABs is plumbed to a box under the air box with a valve system and my LX doesn't. Yes, though an aftermarket unit would require cutting and there is no use for one on a stock motor. I would recommend an exhaust upgrade before an intake upgrade.

Comment

It's not that kinda cold air. The air initiall comes in right behind the headlight. If you follow that box under the car, behind fender, there is no opening to pull in cold air. It's a resonator box to reduce noise. However to make your stock box into a CAI, rip out that box and all the extra stuff like the initial induction pipe and MAF or whatever that sensor is. Just use that plastic pipe that runs to the resonator box and make it run straight to you box and your intake will be louder and you will have better throttle response! That's how I'm running right now until I cut the hole for my true AEM CAI. Maybe I should make a diy thread for this mod.

Comment

Check this out. I've been trying to tell people this for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q
                Last edited by 802cb7; 09-11-2014, 10:38 PM.
                For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

Comment

Right, my mistake, so it is a ram air intake then actually.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET-SPEC View Post
                    It's not that kinda cold air. The air initiall comes in right behind the headlight. If you follow that box under the car, behind fender, there is no opening to pull in cold air. It's a resonator box to reduce noise. However to make your stock box into a CAI, rip out that box and all the extra stuff like the initial induction pipe and MAF or whatever that sensor is. Just use that plastic pipe that runs to the resonator box and make it run straight to you box and your intake will be louder and you will have better throttle response! That's how I'm running right now until I cut the hole for my true AEM CAI. Maybe I should make a diy thread for this mod.
                    That valve box thing is only on EX's I believe. It opens at some point to allow more air. I read about it years ago on here but it's not fresh in my mind.

If memory serves me correct you can relocate it to operate you IAB's as well. Or at least someone said you could.

Comment

EX and SE, basically any F22A6 motor with the IABs has the extra diaphragm valve on the intake.

I just couldn't figure out it's purpose and obviously it isn't needed because plenty of people do the A6 swap and never move over the factory airbox. I'm going to be removing my F22A6 intake components for the turbo build and thought about putting the airbox on my LX H22A4 build.

You are correct that the vacuum diaphragm controlled plunger is the same as the one on the IAB plate on the double runner plenums.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                        EX and SE, basically any F22A6 motor with the IABs has the extra diaphragm valve on the intake.

I just couldn't figure out it's purpose and obviously it isn't needed because plenty of people do the A6 swap and never move over the factory airbox. I'm going to be removing my F22A6 intake components for the turbo build and thought about putting the airbox on my LX H22A4 build.

You are correct that the vacuum diaphragm controlled plunger is the same as the one on the IAB plate on the double runner plenums.
                        My 1991 EX with the F22A4 has it. But I don't think my 93 LX did.

It must have been you that wrote what I read. It is a interesting little device.

Comment

A stock replacement K&N filter would the most reasonable choice. A lot of people have told me that stock intake boxes are just as good at making power, if not better than most aftermarket intakes. Stock intake boxes are also designed to keep from sucking up water in extreme rain situations. That being said, my first Honda was a '92 4 door Accord Ex. My first upgrade to that car from it being stock, was a free secondhand Ebay-like intake. And it sounded awesome(deep and throaty at WOT)! Hell, my young stupid a** thought it made a noticeable horsepower difference. Lol at being young and dumb.... To this day, driving a swapped Honda with a stock exhaust, paired with an aftermarket intake, gives me smile ear to ear, even when it's slow. So get a qualilty short ram intake, it will sound neat, make you smile, it may even enhance your driving experience to the point where you might even forget how much you spent on it.

Comment

K&amp;N filters are all hype

I wouldn't believe the hype about K&N, in fact for a worn 20+ year old motor for a DD I would never put a K&N on it. A race motor that gets rebuilt in 1000 miles, maybe... but not my CB7...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
                            http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

So a paper filter is cleaner and a stock motor will never starve itself on a factory airbox.

True story.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                              It doesn't matter, you won't gain much power from either with a stock engine.

People have said that a cold air draws in more dense air which can give more power but I haven't seen any proof.

Cold air sounds different than short ram.

Cold air may also require battery relocation.
                              Blow up a balloon and put it in the refrigirator, there's your proof that cold air is much denser than warm air.
                              Another proof in a more extreme form is NoS offcourse;
                              http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/nos-nitrous.php
                              Which proofs that Cold air and more oxygen adds more HP

On a side note it really isnt that much of a difference with a CAI on a stock engine, the sound will be brutal but it's more likely to lose HP without a remap than gain power without a remap.

So; unless you're planning on remapping the car, dont bother adding bolt-on upgrades, they don't add much.

Comment

Working...
                              X