Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Type of Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vladi View Post
    Blow up a balloon and put it in the refrigirator, there's your proof that cold air is much denser than warm air.
    Another proof in a more extreme form is NoS offcourse;
    http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/nos-nitrous.php
    Which proofs that Cold air and more oxygen adds more HP

On a side note it really isnt that much of a difference with a CAI on a stock engine, the sound will be brutal but it's more likely to lose HP without a remap than gain power without a remap.

So; unless you're planning on remapping the car, dont bother adding bolt-on upgrades, they don't add much.
    Clearly cold air is more dense than warm air...it's basic physics. I could put a balloon in liquid nitrogen, but that doesn't help in this situation.

In the application of moving an intake filter out of the engine bay, it's little to no gain on our stock engine. It still has to go through several inches of hot tubing where that "cold air" is just going to get heat soaked anyway. If you really want cold air, use a plastic intake tube and a plastic intake manifold. Not only does it reduce heat, it's also lighter.

Cold air =! more power. It's not the air that gives the combustion cycle more pressure.

How would one lose power with an aftermarket intake? The stock ECU is more than capable of adjusting to adapt.

"Don't bother adding bolt-ons..." is a general statement. It's been shown that exhaust upgrades help us out significantly.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

With a short ram, removing it is incredibly easy and fast if you need to service something underneath it, to me that was worth it. But no power will be made, you may even lose some.
      Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

CAI on a stock motor is a visual upgrade at best, on a DD stock motor, or for convenience as XCRN stated. The thing is you still need a high quality filter, and a K&N is not that.

If you are letting more air though with a K&N, the side effect is more dirt getting into your motor. Don't believe me? If you have a K&N filter check out the shape of your intake plenum. If you don't find dirt and dust in there after the life of a typical filter service I'll apologize to you and K&N for ever speaking bad. Every car I have ever used one on has always ended up allowing all kinds of particulates.

On a race motor that is planned to be rebuilt after 1000 miles of use, go ahead and use a K&N. It is better than nothing, if you use nothing expect to rebuild every 300 miles or less as example. Those numbers might be slightly exaggerated but they can be realistic as well in the right environment.

Remapping has nothing to do with a CAI, and that would be a complete waste of money on a cheap upgrade. Hey I just stuck CB7Tuner stickers to my car, maybe I should get it remapped.

Comment

I actually just put a stock muffler back on my car yesterday and it feels faster. It moves through rpm much better. the aftermarket one I have isn't cheap either(Remus). My ecu is tuned for intake/exhaust and h23 plenum. There is a very noticeable increase with the tuned ecu compared to my a6 ecu. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the plenum. I seen it add 5hp on a dyno. Who knows if mightycarmods even let the ecu reset. The ecu will adjust to the change, but like vladi said it needs to be remapped/tuned to see an increase. K$N has been shown to increase mpg.
          Last edited by STREET-SPEC; 09-13-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

The stock muffler made the car feel faster because it shifted the powerband lower in the RPM range. That's what restriction does. You achieved optimal flow (for what was possible given the equipment) at a lower RPM. You probably saw an increase in power from 2000-2800 RPM, and a decrease in power beyond.
            There's a reason why heavily modified N/A small displacement engines rev crazy high. Their powerband is way up there!

Remapping (otherwise known as tuning) an ECU for an intake would be pointless. While you MIGHT see minimal gains, they wouldn't be enough to justify the expense and effort. A stock ECU is capable of adjusting adequately for basic mods. Intake, generic header (fancy headers that give more than 10hp could justify a tune), and a larger exhaust will perform quite well with a stock tune.

As for K&N, Bill is right that they are known not to filter all that well. There are some gains to be had from a filter that is more free-flowing, and the risk is something all tuners should be aware of.
            I haven't gotten one yet, but AEM's dry flow filters are supposed to be some of the most effective in terms of power AND filtration. They're also easy to clean.

Comment

I have always heard good thing about K&N, or are you just talking about the cone filters?
              Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post

"Don't bother adding bolt-ons..." is a general statement. It's been shown that exhaust upgrades help us out significantly.
                They may help breathing a little but they won't make a big difference until you do a remap.

And yes, "don't bother adding bolt-ons unless you're remapping" is my opinion, some people may find the 1 HP gains very interesting, I really think there is no cheap way to add sensible power.

You've got to pay to play.
                Or don't, if you're happy with the engine the way Honda built it.

Comment

You can maintain Honda OEM filtration and reduce airflow restriction by replacing the Accord air filter box, air filter, and hose to the throttle body with ones from a 92-96 Prelude. Honda accomplished this simply by making the filter larger on the Prelude. This gives more area for the air to flow through, reducing restriction, while maintaining filtration.

Of course, all the resonator stuff below the Accord air box won't bolt up, so it will not be as quiet. On the other hand, if you remove all that stuff you will reduce the weight a bit.

And, as said repeatedly by others, it really doesn't matter on a stock F22 engine as there are larger airflow restrictions elsewhere in the engine.

Comment

I just bought an AEM a few months ago and the filter says K&N pretty small tho. I think they use K&N filters now.

And yea I haven't went to high rpm yet so idk, but true the low rpms are better. Didn't even think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
                      You can maintain Honda OEM filtration and reduce airflow restriction by replacing the Accord air filter box, air filter, and hose to the throttle body with ones from a 92-96 Prelude. Honda accomplished this simply by making the filter larger on the Prelude. This gives more area for the air to flow through, reducing restriction, while maintaining filtration.

Of course, all the resonator stuff below the Accord air box won't bolt up, so it will not be as quiet. On the other hand, if you remove all that stuff you will reduce the weight a bit.

And, as said repeatedly by others, it really doesn't matter on a stock F22 engine as there are larger airflow restrictions elsewhere in the engine.
                      The 92-96 Prelude intake tubes are different so you will need to clarify which one you are referring to. I know this because I have an H23A1 upper plenum and throttlebody on my A6 runners and I wanted to retain the stock airbox and tube but was unable to do to the difference in size of the throttlebody. The H23A1 intake tube is too large to fit the F22Ax throttlebody and the F22Ax tube is too small to fit the H23A1 throttlebody.

And the H22A1 has an even larger throttle body that the H23A1.

I don't like to make assumptions but I assume you are referring to the 1992-1996 Prelude S intake. Which has an F22A1. Not the Prelude Si (H23A1) or the Prelude Si VTEC (H22A1).

Comment

Originally posted by Vladi View Post
                        They may help breathing a little but they won't make a big difference until you do a remap.

And yes, "don't bother adding bolt-ons unless you're remapping" is my opinion, some people may find the 1 HP gains very interesting, I really think there is no cheap way to add sensible power.

You've got to pay to play.
                        Or don't, if you're happy with the engine the way Honda built it.
                        Our engines suck for bolt-ons compared to the newer engines (K and J, hell the L might give the F a run)

I would imagine a tune on a completely stock engine would make it smoother and add more power under the curve. I don't think anyone here has done a recent before and after bolt-on dyno, it would make for a nice discussion. I think there was a tuned, stock dyno floating around here somewhere in the early days of the site...it's close to a decade later now. Time for an updated version.

Yeah for serious power adders without changing internals, you are coming out the wallet. I agree.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Hey hellraisin, you can use the stock tube. You just gotta work that thing on there. I have a 92-96 h23 stock tube to h23 plenum only cause I was told stock won't fit but now I know other wise. I had to cut some tube to fit onto my factory air box and it's not fun trying to get the h tube to fit onto the f filter box, but that will work also.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET-SPEC View Post
                            Hey hellraisin, you can use the stock tube. You just gotta work that thing on there. I have a 92-96 h23 stock tube to h23 plenum only cause I was told stock won't fit but now I know other wise. I had to cut some tube to fit onto my factory air box and it's not fun trying to get the h tube to fit onto the f filter box, but that will work also.
                            Mine ripped a few minutes after getting it on. So did the next one I tried.

An aluminum tube from the TB to the air box looks good too. TAS used to make something like that.

Comment

Oh damn, I never actually tried but other people said it worked. And since I got the h23 tube to fit on the f filter, figured why not.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                                Our engines suck for bolt-ons compared to the newer engines (K and J, hell the L might give the F a run)

I would imagine a tune on a completely stock engine would make it smoother and add more power under the curve. I don't think anyone here has done a recent before and after bolt-on dyno, it would make for a nice discussion. I think there was a tuned, stock dyno floating around here somewhere in the early days of the site...it's close to a decade later now. Time for an updated version.

Yeah for serious power adders without changing internals, you are coming out the wallet. I agree.
                                If I look at D-series (D15B2) with an OBD1 swap, they not only get faster but they have better fuel economy too. So yea, a stock motor would probably benefit from a good retune.

And if you're at that anyway, add some good breather mods before the retune and youll have a nice gain on power and sound too. (Thats where K&N comes in )
                                Last edited by Vladi; 09-14-2014, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X