Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-New Acura NSX Dresses As Pace Car For 2015 Pikes Peak

Click here to view more photos

It hasn’t arrived in dealerships yet but you can admire it at this weekend’s Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.

The all-new Acura NSX will serve as the official pace car of the famous Race to the Clouds on June 28. Sporting a custom racing-inspired livery, the Acura NSX pace car will lead the field of 140 entrants to the top of the 14,110-foot (4,300-meter) Colorado mountain.

Although a standard-spec model, the pace car was specially prepared for the race by Honda R&D Americas, which is also leading the global development of the all-new NSX. The supercar will be driven by Sage Marie, senior manager of American Honda Public Relations and a two-time Pikes Peak competitor and road racer.

The Acura NSX pace car is powered by a 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 engine mated to a 9-speed dual clutch transmission and a three motor Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system.

“As the pace car, the beast that is NSX will not be fully let of its cage, but fans and drivers will still get a first glimpse of the unique character, performance and handling of the NSX in a one-of-a-kind racing environment,” said Mike Accavitti, senior vice president and general manager of the Acura Division.

To make the most of the event, Acura will install 24 cameras along the course to capture the NSX’s historic run as the official pace car with a 360-degree series of images. The images will then be transformed into an exclusive video, after the Acura NSX heads to the top of the mountain at 7:40 a.m. MDT. In addition, the run will be covered live on Acura social media channels.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/all...-pace-car.html
    FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

Good lawd.

Hopefully someone in my neighborhood buys one so I can drool.

Comment

I talked to a guy who helped prep the car for Pikes Peak. He said that once they get the car back and download all the data they need off of it that it's going into the crusher.
      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by lummieCB7 View Post
        I talked to a guy who helped prep the car for Pikes Peak. He said that once they get the car back and download all the data they need off of it that it's going into the crusher.
        Are you serious?!

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Why would they not put it in a museum somewhere like Corvette does.

So ridiculous and such a waste of materials.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
          Originally posted by lummieCB7 View Post
          Are you serious?!

WOW, would make more sense if it was sent to a museum or even auction it off. but what do i know, i don't work for Honda/Acura lol
          FRIENDS
          DONT LET
          FRIENDS
          ROLL ON
          ROTA'S

Comment

Are you serious?!

It's a running prototype without a VIN. They are virtually required to crush the development mules. Most of the Vettes in a museum are production examples or concepts, not development mules. A lot of the initial fleet of press cars that are test driven for magazine articles (the ones where they mention it is a "devolopment mule" or "pre-production car" also get crushed.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

OK well that I understand, but I think the fact that it is a PACE car should allow them to hold on to it so that people can see it somewhere.

I get that it's a mule but it was used as an official PACE car so it's now got history.

They can easily give it a VIN and throw it in a museum.

Comment

They can't put a VIN on it since a lot of the parts are still under development. If they put this car on the street and something goes wrong Honda can be sued. Nothing special was done to the car for pace car duty besides putting a wrap on it. It was also just a last minute PR move on Hondas part to run a pace car.
                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

Yea but if its parked somewhere they can slap a VIN on it.

Besides it doesn't need a VIN. It just needs to be stored somewhere.

I think it looks really sweet and I don't see why they would not hold on to it.

It's not like its the 2016 Civic. It's the NEW NSX. It's a little special.

How do they get away with it being driven as a pace car if it has no VIN?

It's still out on the street?

Comment

Yea but if its parked somewhere they can slap a VIN on it.

Besides it doesn't need a VIN. It just needs to be stored somewhere.

I think it looks really sweet and I don't see why they would not hold on to it.

It's not like its the 2016 Civic. It's the NEW NSX. It's a little special.

How do they get away with it being driven as a pace car if it has no VIN?

It's still out on the street?
                    it is a sanctioned racing event. Almost noting that ran up that mountain was 'street legal.' It just a press promo job, and it isn't like the car that competed and won in the 24hrs of LeMans.

It is probably an engineering mule that has been running around the 'ring or in the streets. That said, they have certain liability and legal issues with the way the laws are written that keep them from not destroying it. It isn't a matter of street legal, it is a matter of more broad legality. It's a development mule, not the first production car.

Comment

Yes please!

Comment

Working...
                      X